Find results in...
Night-Fang

Are DOS source ports dead?

Are DOS based DOOM ports dead?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are DOS based DOOM ports dead?

• Hell yes
    • Hell no

The deal for me is that I have two computers - one with Win98 (i.e. with DOS support) and one with Windows 2000 (no DOS support). I use the Windows 2000 computer most of the time for many reasons, and it sometimes annoys me a bit that I cannot use the DOS executables. Windows source ports do a great job, yeah, but none is *doom2.exe but for Windows*. DOOM95 would be great, I actually think so, but it doesn't work under Win2K either. PrBOOM is great, of course, but it keeps annoying me with crappy sound, tricky configurability and random "peripheral" bugs such as crashing with a retarded message when trying to record a demo with a name that already exists in the directory, failing to initialize directdraw when run from a different directory, etc, etc. Other source ports such as ZDoom, I love them and I don't think they really ruin the gameplay of DOOM, but they aren't fully compatible with it and a bit too plastic in certain senses. I occasionally go to the Win98 computer just to play a little bit of vanilla DOOM with the proper DOS feeling :)

Fredrik said:

The deal for me is that I have two computers - one with Win98 (i.e. with DOS support) and one with Windows 2000 (no DOS support). I use the Windows 2000 computer most of the time for many reasons, and it sometimes annoys me a bit that I cannot use the DOS executables. Windows source ports do a great job, yeah, but none is *doom2.exe but for Windows*. DOOM95 would be great, I actually think so, but it doesn't work under Win2K either. PrBOOM is great, of course, but it keeps annoying me with crappy sound, tricky configurability and random "peripheral" bugs such as crashing with a retarded message when trying to record a demo with a name that already exists in the directory, failing to initialize directdraw when run from a different directory, etc, etc. Other source ports such as ZDoom, I love them and I don't think they really ruin the gameplay of DOOM, but they aren't fully compatible with it and a bit too plastic in certain senses. I occasionally go to the Win98 computer just to play a little bit of vanilla DOOM with the proper DOS feeling :)

Use your Windows98 computer for Doom and your Windows2000 for graphics editing. Windows 2000 is also useless for musicians since hardware support is really limited.

For graphics editing however it is superb.

Windows 2000 is also useless for musicians since hardware support is really limited.

Works here.

Little Faith said:

Use your Windows98 computer for Doom and your Windows2000 for graphics editing. Windows 2000 is also useless for musicians since hardware support is really limited.

For graphics editing however it is superb.

I use WinXP for everything...it works.

Little Faith said:

Windows 2000 is also useless for musicians since hardware support is really limited.

On the contrary, Win2K is the best PC OS available for musicians to work with.

All the stability, 32-bit core and multiprocessor support without the bloat of XP and the crashtastic 16-bit dinosaur core in the 9x series of Windows. And of course the NTFS file system is so much better at handling huge files than FAT32.

Windows page of source ports section in past week: 1030 hits
DOS page of source ports section in past week: 175 hits

Lüt said:

On the contrary, Win2K is the best PC OS available for musicians to work with.

All the stability, 32-bit core and multiprocessor support without the bloat of XP and the crashtastic 16-bit dinosaur core in the 9x series of Windows. And of course the NTFS file system is so much better at handling huge files than FAT32.

Yeah that's right. Windows 2000 is simply the most stable windows ever and it is optimized for handling large amounts of data which is a plus in any kind of sound/graphics editing.

But what makes Windows 2000 not so interesting for musicians is it's lack of support of old hardware. (Many musicians have their old faithful apps that simply got the right sound that they are loath to sacrifice).

I have a modern soundcard, so no problem...

Hmm, yeah Windows 2000 is extremely stable. Only system-related problems I have with it is that it goes to a crawl when the hard drive is under pressure (that could be related to something else though) and that it insists on using a swapfile even though I'd manage with the RAM alone.

Linguica said:

Windows page of source ports section in past week: 1030 hits
DOS page of source ports section in past week: 175 hits

Are DOS source ports dead?

My guess is yeah...

Little Faith said:

But what makes Windows 2000 not so interesting for musicians is it's lack of support of old hardware. (Many musicians have their old faithful apps that simply got the right sound that they are loath to sacrifice).

Oh, I was talking on a professional level.

I know there's plenty of old DOS music apps that Win2K's emulation does no justice to. What I meant was for true recording, like multitrack boards you'd find in studios and whatnot, not the old "fake music" apps of past days.

The majority of good plugins nowadays are DirectX-based, and just about any good wave editor is also Win32 based ... in my case I make most of my sounds externally from the computer and use all the in-computer tools to do mastering and editing.

Where are the options for those of us that don't start every sentence with "Hell" :-P

cph said:

Where are the options for those of us that don't start every sentence with "Hell" :-P

Hell if I know

Are DOS-based source ports dead?

Well, in this day and age of Windows 2000XP9895abc Li-nucks, no wait it's Lin-nucks, no wait I don't give a damn, I would say a resounding
YES indeed.

Although it's kinda cool to load up Doom or Doom2.exe the "old-fashioned" way. :)

DooMBoy said:

Well, in this day and age of Windows 2000XP9895abc Li-nucks, no wait it's Lin-nucks, no wait I don't give a damn, I would say a resounding

YES indeed.

Although it's kinda cool to load up Doom or Doom2.exe the "old-fashioned" way. :)

I agree.