Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

the best and worst

what is the best and worst of the doom ports. so far the worst portings of doom have been to sega 32x, that 64 bit atari system, GBA(i think it will suck), doom95 and mac doom. these ports took much from doom or had little bug fixes and additional bugs(doom95/macdoom). the best ports have to be our own home brewed doom ports like boom, zdoom, legacy, edge, rordoom, mbf, ect. i only hope these new port grow in abilities and fun as the years go by. also for those of u trying to use doom95/macdoom grab a port because it is just better. the ports have many bug fixes and new features. original dos doom is still good but i always play with ports because they add more and have fixes to the shitest bugs( like visplane overflow)

Best and worst ports?

Best port for PC:
ZDoom
Why? I like it the best. It loads up the fastest, runs the smoothest, and has tons of features... Boom, MBF, plus its own swank details like mirrors and slopes.

Worst port for PC:
Doom95
Why? It eats ass. Slow, ugly, and its just swimming with errors. Hell, at high res you can see a blank space underneath your gun graphic! =(

Best port for a limited system:
SNES Doom
Why? The SNES is the weakest of all the systems that the original Doom was ported to yet it still had a kickass framerate and great playability (sadly it's not emulated perfectly). It was also out a damn long time before PSX Doom was. I'm not counting Doom64 because it's not a port of the original, it's a license of the Doom rights with all new graphics (and bad assed levels).

Worst port for a limited system:
3D0 Doom
Why? Unplayably slow. It took a cheat code to shrink the screen down to a fraction of what it normally is and it still runs slower than SNES Doom! This is just horrible. I would've said Doom 32X because you can't get the BFG without cheating and that's pretty lame too, but at least it makes some attempt at being playable.

I liked the 32X Doom only because they changed a lot of things and used the Doom2 textures in the later maps as well.

my opinions of the console ports of doom:

Jaguar - first port, good job, but much better has come out since then.

3DO - I don't know why they even tried. Think of the Jaguar version with terrible framerate and slowdown.

32X - Pretty weak, considering there's barely any levels. Somewhere between Jaguar & 3DO in terms of smoothness. Still don't like the idea of playing in a window, and being able to see the enemies in the front.

SNES - Unbelievable considering what they had to deal with. Beats the pants off of all of the ones up to this point. Sure, there's no floor or ceiling textures, and the framerate's a bit choppy. But it's the first one to have all of the enemies (except for the spectre) including the cyberdemon, and the closest to the PC original. The only real problems I have with it are only seeing the front of the enemies, and that you can't strafe and turn at the same time, thus no circle strafing.

PSX Doom - Awesome! Ambient music, colored lighting, faster gameplay, awesome control, new sounds, 60 levels, and the nightmare spectre. The only things I wish were in this one are a faster revenant and the arch vile. The new levels are awesome, and so are the Doom 2 ones. The problem is, they used the Doom 1 levels from the Jaguar, 32X & 3DO versions instead of the PC ones. Thus, the Doom 1 levels (episode 4 and up are good) are hacked up. Oh well, they're damn close anywys. Other pluses are the cool flaming sky texture, and Doom 2 enemies in Doom 1 when you play in Ultra Violence.

PSX Final Doom - RIP OFF. Only 30 levels. Knowing that Final Doom & Master Levels are 88 levels, and the first PSX Doom was 60 levels, this one is seriously weak. Not even any secret levels. The powerful enemies (Macubus, Revenant, Baron of Hell, Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind) are barely in here. The only redeeming quality is the new ambient music (only 10 tracks, they're on my ftp), and the Master Levels are in an episode. But, anyone with the PC version of Master levels and Wintex can do that themselves.

Saturn Doom - Think of PSX Doom with no colored lighting and a very choppy framerate. Not as bad as the 3DO, but when you can play the PSX Doom, there's no point to this one.

Doom 64 - Lots of people love this one the most, I find it weak. However, second to only PSX Doom. Pluses: New Unmaker weapon, new very cool levels, new hi-res graphics, new twists to level design, new enemies (mother demon, nightmare imp). Minuses - Ambient music too repetitive for me. Each PSX track is unique. But only a few N64 tracks are actually unique and cool. Missing enemies (chaingunner, revanent, arch vile, and spider mastermind), & no multiplayer. digital control is too slow (as compared to the faster turning and faster gameplay of the PSX). Since contol can make or break a game, this is why I prefer PSX Doom. Both zombies (shotgun & pistol) look the same. When someone converts over all of the Doom 64 levels I won't be touching this one.

For those of you thinking that I have WAY TOO MUCH TIME on my hands, I really don't. I just don't wanna do my annoying database homework right now, or ever.

Doom 64 - Lots of people love this one the most, I find it weak. However, second to only PSX Doom. Pluses: New Unmaker weapon, new very cool levels, new hi-res graphics, new twists to level design, new enemies (mother demon, nightmare imp). Minuses - Ambient music too repetitive for me. Each PSX track is unique. But only a few N64 tracks are actually unique and cool. Missing enemies (chaingunner, revanent, arch vile, and spider mastermind), no multiplayer, digital control is too slow (as compared to the faster turning and faster gameplay of the PSX), both zombies (shotgun & pistol) look the same. When someone converts over all of the Doom 64 levels I won't be touching this one.

That's one that bugs the hell out of me with the Doom community, most of ya hate Doom 64.

Personally I love the hell out of it. Sure, I miss the Arch-Vile and the Mastermind (I'm doing quite well without the Revenants or Chaingunners), and maybe I miss the reloading animations of the Super Shotgun... but I can do without when I have all of those badassed textures, good lighting effects, better sound effects, hi-color sprites (some better some worse), and the fact that the whole thing just sorta glides along in true color (I don't see any dithering in the explosions) at a hellacious framerate.

On the whole the game may not have been as challenging as TNT like some have hoped but I really liked the level design, especially the fact that you had to get three major secrets to fully powerup the Unmaker. Oh... and when it's powered up... hahah, who needs a BFG? =)

If it did well enough they were going to make a Final Doom 64... but sadly, it just didn't fare enough and Midway cancelled that project. Damnation!

They jammed Doom 64 into an 8 meg cartridge, what if they did Final Doom 64 in a 12 or 16? Hell, Duke Nukem Zero Hour got a 32 meg cartridge!

Of all the console ports you have to admit:
• It had the smoothest framerate.
• It had the best visual quality (trilinear filtering).
• It had the most detailed levels of any port.
• It had 32 original levels, not detail-nerfed remakes of the id originals.

I love all of those parts of Doom 64 too. I think the game is pure genius. I never said I hated it. Just wish the control wasn't so terrible. And no, I WILL NOT play a Doom game with an analog stick. It's just wrong, and not as precise. All the game needed was faster turning with the d-pad. Turning is twice as slow as on the PSX (unless you use the analog stick, blech). And mouse control is MUCH faster too. I can scratch my ass faster than it takes to pull off a 360 on Doom 64!

I did get freaked out from Doom 64 more than any other Doom game. Even the PC. The levels are some of the best (LOVE the spiral), the Unmaker is great. The enviornment in Doom 64 is unparelleled.

They need to make a N64 keyboard and mouse :)

Actually, if they had bothered to put in an analog stick aim kinda feature, you could probably control it like turok, that might work. I'll go to the d64 configure screen later and see If i can make the control palatable.

i have never like the N64 control set up for many games. i do like the PSX control set up. i see final doom for PSX alot but i never see doom. also i think the GBA port will be a god awful pice of shit. not ceiling/floor, limited graphics. WTF it is a 32bit system, but i dont think it has the the power and true 32bit graphics. oh well i plan on getting a GBA anyway, and doom when and if it arives

The 3dO version was indeed quite bad. No excuse for it though as the 3dO was probably a touch more powerful than the Jaguar. Probably the very worst port of Doom of any kind ever.

The best console port would have to go to the Playstation I think. I tried the N64 version and it was ok too but it was too different from the Doom I was used to. The levels, were all different so a direct comparison is tough. It was too dark too, even with the brightness on the tv cranked.

yea doom64 was good but to me it just was not doom. i think they should have added looking up/down and poly based demons. doom was the first to do what it did at that time.

I have to agree with John Romero - DOOM Legacy is the best PC port of Doom, no question. Zdoom is pretty erm... "swank" (*shrugs*) too, though somehow it and my GeForce2MX don't get along very well.

Here be my opinions.. according to all I ahve played! :)
3d0 - Why does this even exist????
never played the Jag version
32x - As close to raw shit as you can get.. excluding the 3do port that is!
SNES - HOW in god's name did this turn out so damn good!? I was THOROUGHLY impressed by this baby! Definitely a keeper!
PSX Doom- AWESOME SHIT!! Great game. The only thing that irritated me was the lack of some of my fave levels!
I.E. - E3M2 - the slough of despair, Map13 Downtown, and map28 the Spirit World.
PSX Final Doom - I felt jipped with this thing. 30 levels out of 64? NO! I don;t get it! I mean, the other Doom has 59 levels! Why could no more be put in?
Doom 64- by FAR my fave port. Because it was an origaonal game. New image, new levels, a cool ass new gun that you had to really work to get to full power,and the list goes on. This was not just another regurgitation of something that every other conveivable system has already seen, but something new, and DAMN nice! Now who says everyone here hates Doom 64? I know I'm not the only one who has positive things to say about it here. I love the HELL outta thigs game!

What do you guys mean MacDoom sucks? It's got a really smooth flow and graphics. I haven't found any bugs in it (This is usually the case with mac ports due to their later arrival)My only gripe is with the midi quality, but that's probably my soundcard. Also, there's a MacDoomLegecy out there.

The only console Doom i tried was SNES when i was a kid...IT SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME! Especially e1m7. I acually used to stop playing there because the music (which was crisper than standard midi) scared me way too much. Also, you needed to play on at least Ultra-Violence to play Inferno, a cool touch that could be changed with game genie (Providing you had a certain type of game cart)

My experience is Mac Doom is slow as shit stuck in molasses.
I hate this piece of crap! Besides, macs aren't good gaming machines in the least. You want scary? Doom 64 dammit!!

yea doom64 was good but to me it just was not doom.

Why not? If you can handle the analog stick it feels just like Doom but it looks better.

The PSX Doom does kick some ass but the framerate is pathetic.

i think they should have added looking up/down and poly based demons. doom was the first to do what it did at that time.

Looking up and down wouldn't work with sprites, and making the enemies polygons would have CRUSHED the N64, even with half as many enemies!

If it was poly based the enemies would be cardboard art and there would only be 1/5th as many. Now that wouldn't be Doom!

THERE YA GO!! You said it Deadnail. It just wouldn't be doom! That's one of the biggest reasons I play it! the amount ot carnage! Besides. I'm more than happy that it was still traditional Doom gameplay. That's what made the conversion for me.. if it played like quake, or anything like that, I would not have liked it quite as much.. but it still woulda been nice. But give me old style doom anyday! dat be da shit!

Yeah! Thanks! Glad to hear that you agree with me! By the way! Does your period key work?

Yeah prolly! That'll teach me to drink coffee with an open lid while on the computer :)
/me slams period key

You think that sucks? I remember spilling a whole can of Dr. Pepper into my keyboard! The apostrophe/quote key didn't work at all basically! I had to crane kick the bitch to get it to work! On top of that, with it in such condition I wrote a sixty page book that was mostly talking! Aah!

I think it is definitely time for you to get your period. =)

that DOES sound like a pain in the ass,
One of my friends accidentaly let an entire posicle melt on her keyboard... PLaying Doom on that thing was something else!

I remember I was modem2modem dming in Duke and I somehow shot the keyboard off of the desk. It hit the ground and five keys shot out... and I needed all of them. =)

I still won though, haha.

I tried a deathmatch with the popsicle keyboard, but the directional keys kept sticking down, which more often than not, resulted in moving around in circles, accidentaly firing at walls. Sometimes letting loos a rocket, then making a turn suddenly to have it go into the wall right beside you. Not fun :P Funny as hell though.. aw hell what am I saying, that was fun!

This all reminds me of how some stupid school officer tried to link me to a fraud crime with a semi-functional spacebar (I guess the "criminal" didn't like to use spaces too much and my spacebar didn't work most of the time, so that made me guilty by the genius' standards.)

Worst spills for me, I had 4 spills on the keyboard in one week; milk, pepsi, mountain dew and pepsi. It worked perfectly after each time.

Best Overall: Zdoom for its graphics, gameplay, features, environment, stability.

DOOM Legacy is good for also its graphics, but the thing that stands it out is the gravity options and the bloodspots. 3D floors are nice too. It doesn't make the Best Overall because at times it runs slow on my machine and occasionally crashes.

Jdoom for what else?!? THE GRAPHICS! My jaw dropped and still is dropping when I compare doom.exe graphics with Jdoom. The dynamic lighting, lens flares, and OpenGL are amazing.

PrBOOM for its bug fixes, versatility, and sheer rawness in relation to the original DOOM.

Skulltag for literally teaching me all that I know about how to deathmatch effectively.

EDGE is OK, but I only really saw its greatness with Covert Ops. It has some interesting features, but nothing stands out to me when I play regular DOOM with it.