Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViewtifulJC

Doom Beta announced with pre-order of new Wolfenstein

LANEGRACABRA said:

Two biggest turn offs for me in Doom3 was:

1) the fact that the demons are hellish creatures/spirits that disintegrate on death are found experimented in science labs

2) Betruger (which was a really shitty character btw) is some kind of mystical wizard that creates demon warriors from UAC guards/marines

The first point wasn't a "turn off" for me, but it sure was distracting. The second point didn't bother me at all. The demons slipped into his mind through his dreams and he made a pact with them in exchange for incredible power. This includes being able to mutate humans into formidable warriors for his personal army.

I think there is a basic problem with what the naming and what they're going to do. Originally it was supposed (all signs point to this) to be a reimagining of Doom2, but not a direct sequel to Doom3. It was supposed to be the "Hell on Earth" part. I guess that would make sense on some level, but what now? Are they going to use the same basic story or will it be new? If they use the original story, then I doubt they'll be starting off back in space. So will be be getting prequel potential? I hope not.

I don't see how there could be a prequel, considering the original Doom story is where it all starts. What would a prequel consist of? Doom Guy training on Earth and warring with humans? Pfft.

GoatLord said:

I don't see how there could be a prequel, considering the original Doom story is where it all starts. What would a prequel consist of? Doom Guy training on Earth and warring with humans? Pfft.

No I mean if they use the original story and Doom(4) takes place on earth, then the prequel to that would be whatever happened on Mars/Phobos.

GoatLord said:

Maybe it will be just a re-imagining? But, if it is a prequel, maybe they will go with the whole 'Castlevania III thing' and have it tell a story of one of Doomguy's ancestors and how the demons invaded and the Earth becomes this big distopian place and after he/she kills the demons and the world is fixed it will.. okay, I'm going too deep into this.

William Blazkowicz said:

But, if it is a prequel, maybe they will go with the whole 'Castlevania III thing' and have it tell a story of one of Doomguy's ancestors

I sure hope not. The last thing I want from Doom is you being some "chosen one" gifted warrior. You're a grunt who gets into a bad situation and has to fight it out. Any special powers you have come from special artifacts you find, not because you yourself have some mystical abilities.

In any case, story is going to have more impact on Doom 4/Beta than any other release in the series. In the all the games leading up to Doom 3, story was utterly inconsequential; just some amusing text to coincide with the gunplay. Doom 3 was released during that transitional period, where the literary content of games was beginning to mature somewhat.

Unfortunately, Doom 3 has a fairly disengaging plot, resulting in flat, emotionless cinematics as well as a really cliche and cartoonish bad guy. The only cutscenes that had any sort of resonance where the ones that introduced new enemies. Whoever writes Doom 4's script is going to have to find a careful balance between introducing characters who are not only interesting but help progress the plot, and keeping the source of the invasion vague, as showing the "man behind the curtain" would spoil the Doom mystique. I've referenced "Event Horizon" numerous times, but it's worth pointing out that the original script specifically mentioned alien beings that were to be shown in the film. Director Paul Anderson's decision to never show the source, and yet explicitly depict the effects of that force, made for a very dramatic and entertaining film.

My opinion was always that this new DOOM will be another lone island in terms of plot. Basic DOOM premise (demons attack, kill them) but with no ties to any other games. Not a sequel/prequel to DOOM 3, DOOM II, DOOM, nothing. Just the same premise in a 'separate' universe.

I'd prefer them to stick with the 'Hell on Earth' scenario but at the very least I hope they don't place it on a spacestation again. Don't think they will though, considering Tech 5 is primed for more open areas.

@Touchdown

I agree.
It would be pretty cool to have the invasion originate on Mars (or moons) without the player actually being there. You could be going about your business (what ever that may be, as long as it's entertaining) and rumors start to pour in. Then one day Earth is run over. I hope they don't resolve the invasion though. The player could have a more personal story arc that of course has the invasion as its main obstacle, but is resolved by other means than one man stopping the entire thing.

This island might be lonely, but it could potentially become a new continent.

Still contemplating whether or not to pre order it. I will probably wait til May or end up putting it off and forgetting. I really want DOOM 4 Beta, but I don't even know when that is being released. Decisions. Decisions.

I just hope a large majority of Wolfenstein's sales are because of the overall game and NOT just because of DooM. I actually read some comments on Wolfenstein: The New Order YT videos about people buying it ONLY for beta access.

I didn't buy W:TNO just for the Doom 4 beta access.

I did pre-order it just for the Doom 4 beta access, though. :)

William Blazkowicz said:

I just hope a large majority of Wolfenstein's sales are because of the overall game and NOT just because of DooM. I actually read some comments on Wolfenstein: The New Order YT videos about people buying it ONLY for beta access.

Was going to buy it either way.

I won't pre-order it because it'll just take longer. I'll buy it in a store. What usually happens here is that if there are pre-order bonuses, they ship copies with those bonuses in the first batch. That happened with BioShock Infinite and Metro: Last Light where I got the 'pre-order only' stuff from the retail because I bought them on a release day. Maybe this one won't be an exception.

Pre-order bonuses are always just a cheap gimmick. I mean what is the pre-order bonus for DOOM 4 gonna be, a BFG on the first level?

According to the updated FAQ, DOOM Beta will only be available on next-gen platforms (Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC). Which probably means DOOM 4 will not have 360/PS3 versions.

Touchdown said:

According to the updated FAQ, DOOM Beta will only be available on next-gen platforms (Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC). Which probably means DOOM 4 will not have 360/PS3 versions.

This is great news.

Touchdown said:

You mean I will have to waist money on a ps4 just to play doom 4?

William Blazkowicz said:

You mean I will have to waist money on a ps4 just to play doom 4?

Doom is a PC franchise. The proper way would be to play it on PC.

LANEGRACABRA said:

the fact that the demons are hellish creatures/spirits that disintegrate on death are found experimented in science labs

I never did notice that... I don't know how I overlooked that minor detail.