• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steve D

Too Much Death - The Amiga Demo Party of Doom, Map01 Beta

Get it here; http://www.mediafire.com/download/im4ist9636vn9vr/ADP1aaa.wad

This map requires cc4-tex.wad

Here are some screenies.

This map combines some of my favorite things -- Doom, and the thumping music from Amiga demoscene productions. I designed the map to the music, and as a result, it is pretty fast-paced. It's also meant to be a relatively short blast of intense violence, given that 30 minutes with this track might be a bit much. ;D

The track is a legendary classic by Mad Freak, a wonderfully whimsical remix of the intro music from the Amiga platformer Gods, and is the theme of 3D Demo II by Anarchy, from 1992. As with most Amiga demos from this period, it was designed to run on a bog standard Amiga 500, with a 7.14Mhz Motorola 68000 and 512KB of RAM. If you're geek enough, here's the demo and the Gods intro;
Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt3yZOO4JDs
Gods: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN0VIgO3U0k

The music for this mapset is bound to be polarizing, what with human voices and, in one case, an actual song, but there's no way I'm backing down on this. I love this shit, and I urge you to try it out. If you really hate it, you can always turn it down, turn it off, IDMUS your way out of it or load your own music WAD.

One more thing, since all the music is from the Amiga platform, it is in MOD, aka Tracker format, one of the Amiga's great gifts to the world. I've had issues with this and other maps using MODs when playing in GZDoom and GLBoom-plus. The game gets choppy and almost locks up sometimes. I have no such problems when using the almighty Risen3D. I'm wondering if looping the MODs causes the problems. Please let me know if you experience any such issues. I can always convert the files to MP3 if necessary.

This is the first of a planned 10 maps, with maps 4 and 8 being breathers. This one is a sandboxy sort of hardcore map -- by my standards -- with mild slaughter elements. The monster count is a bit low, with HNTR/HMP/UV respectively offering 86/130/183 monsters, in order to keep the play time down. The design is a variation on a theme of The Miley Cyrus Concert from Shotgun Symphony but doesn't resemble it much physically. I beat the map on all difficulty settings but it took a lot of save-scumming and profanity on UV. This means UV is too easy for what I intend, which is to gear it for elite players, so I hope such players let me know if I need to add more monsters. I can add monsters to any difficulty setting if enough people want more challenge, though I'm guessing that casual players like myself will be content with what's there.

Enough babbling. Go ahead and play it. :)

Pretty sure there's no way to play in PrBoom+ without infinite-height actors, regardless of complevel.

Anyhow I'll give this a shot. Amiga demoscene music is great :)

BTW what's the latest with Shotgun Symphony? I meant to play it but I ended up waiting for an update to the wad that never came, or maybe I just missed it.

plums said:

Pretty sure there's no way to play in PrBoom+ without infinite-height actors, regardless of complevel.

Wow, that's bad news. :( Especially since I absolutely, positively, never design for infinitely tall actors.

Glad we both love the Amiga demoscene music. If only it was easier to find some pretty, slower, chillout stuff in the scene, because what I'm bringing would drive you nuts in a 40-minute map. :D

On Shotgun Symphony, the update was eventually posted, I believe it's SGNSYM168. It's a good thing you waited, because there were game-ending flaws in earlier versions. This one has all the fixes, along with gameplay revisions based on player comments, FDAs and livestreams. There is still an unfortunate issue on E1M3 with a couple Sergeants who suffer Sleepy Monster Syndrome and/or are in a sector too small to move effectively. I'll fix that, but otherwise this is the version to play, and is the final pre-release beta. What I really need to do now is figure out WhackEd or beg someone to do the automap names for me. Once that's accomplished it's release time.

SteveD said:

Wow, that's bad news. :( Especially since I absolutely, positively, never design for infinitely tall actors.

Well, you warned people at least. Maybe I'll try it with PrBoom+ anyhow and see just how bad it is.

Glad we both love the Amiga demoscene music. If only it was easier to find some pretty, slower, chillout stuff in the scene, because what I'm bringing would drive you nuts in a 40-minute map. :D

One solution might be to mix multiple songs together, just so it's not so repetitive. Probably easiest to do this with mp3/ogg than trying to merge some mods together, although that's certainly possible too.

edit: Alternately, you could try playing with MUSINFO which looks like it's supported in Risen3D, Prb+, and ZDoom. Never used it myself though.

On Shotgun Symphony, the update was eventually posted, I believe it's SGNSYM168.

Cool, yeah I definitely had an older version. I'll make sure to give it a spin soon.

What I really need to do now is figure out WhackEd or beg someone to do the automap names for me. Once that's accomplished it's release time.

I could do this, replacing strings is normally easy. There's a problem here though.

With vanilla/cl2 compatible Dehacked patches, you're limited in the length of text strings to about the length of the original string, plus a few characters sometimes. A lot of your maps names are just too long that way, even you delete the E1Mx text from the map name.

A Boom/cl9 file has much more flexibility, but then won't work with vanilla/chocolate Doom at least. But I think PrBoom+ can still read Boom strings for cl2 maybe?

So I guess one question is, is SGNSYM vanilla-compatible, or just cl2 compatible?

edit: More about Shotgun Symphony in the right thread:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1254273

FDA from me, used complevel 9 in PrB+. Infinitely tall actors were not really, a problem, like Ribbiks said there's lots of room. Chaingunners were much more of a problem, and seemed to get me at every turn.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1254295

Fairly intense start, I feel like I was doing OK for a while in at least one attempt but then I released some more revenants and that was it. Definitely a save-heavy map for me. Fun though. Can't comment on much else as I was too busy trying not to die for a lot of it, but I liked the look in general.

Thanks for the killer FDA Ribbiks. You proved what I already knew, that if I can beat the map on UV, it's just not hard enough. But hey, this is beta time, so I can work on it.

Based on your FDA, some things I can do include any one or a combination of the following things;
1) Remove about 30% of the health on UV.
2) Add about 50 monsters on UV, mostly hitscanners, especially Chaingunners, because Meat is too easy to dodge and I don't want to put players in a phone booth with Meat to achieve difficulty.
3) Reduce the number of Revvies in the water, perhaps relocate a bunch of them to land.

I especially wanted to see a player of your caliber BFG the Cybs to get an idea of the desired ammo balance. I'm not good at efficient BFG usage, you are, and there was plenty of ammo. One thing I can do is add a bunch of teleporting little guys to help the Cybs. It would have to be a decent number, maybe 20 monsters of various types, some with decent HP so they don't all get BFGed to oblivion.

Of course, I can always decide to aim my maps at casual players like myself, rather than making UV something casual players shouldn't play, but the challenge is hard to resist. Ideally, I shouldn't do anything in testing UV other than a God Mode walkthrough to verify that it has enough ammo. The rest should be left to qualified testers.

Thanks again, Ribbiks! I hope to see you in future maps. :}

So, it figures the time I decide to stop playing FDA style I manage to beat it without reloading my save or dying at all :p

Key for me was:
* getting some infighting going at the start. Fairly easy.
* getting out into the water and just running around a whole lot, and picking up a soulsphere also
* finding the SSG

Once I did those things, it was pretty smooth sailing. I'm sure Ribbiks handled the cyberdemons more gracefully than I, but I had enough BFG ammo to just fire at the cluster of them easily and fairly safely from the water.

I think probably I needed to warm up a bit, that seems to be the case often.

You said there's going to be more maps - are you doing death exits? Starting MAP02 with a BFG, even if you don't have much ammo for it, means you're really going to have to ramp things up to keep the player challenged.

Thanks for the FDA, plums! Now this is what I like to see, players getting killed in my maps. ;) This is pretty much what happens to me when I challenge UV. You did much better than me on your second run, and I was pulling for you.

I can only beat this map with saves. I was envious, watching Ribbiks do a little sway here, a little sway there, and manage the crowd at the start the way he did. I first saw him do that in Demonologists's terrifying -- to me -- DMP 2013 map. Wish I could do that. Instead, on several occasions, I died within seconds, and those times I survived, I was panicked, disoriented, and running for my life. I usually took the same path as you, up the Chaingunner Stairway of Death, because that gets you the rocket launcher, but usually there's too many Cacos blocking the drop, so I often redirect to get the SSG and jump into the water like Ribbiks did, and draw the Revvies into the Arachnotron's fire. If you stay out there awhile, the Cacos follow you, and once you kill enough of them, it's easier to grab the RL.

I'm glad you liked the look. I wanted to keep the detail moderate to avoid snagging the player, since clean running lanes are important. I'm going to work harder on the appearance of future maps, but I was pretty happy with this one because it's simple and clean.

Good luck when you play with saves. The big question then will be whether you enjoyed the gameplay or it was too much of a slog.

plums said:

So, it figures the time I decide to stop playing FDA style I manage to beat it without reloading my save or dying at all :p

Well shiver me timbers, in the time it took me to reply to your previous post, you kicked the map's ass! :D

I see you did the things I do to beat this thing. The water is the key, though I do worry that there's too much tedious Revvie-killing. As we all know, I'm way more into the Hitscanner Game and I'm not that great at designing Meat-based fights, but I'm trying to improve.

I can always throw Archies into the mix early, or have them teleport in with the PEs.

I do want UV to be more than a good workout -- my wrist got tired from dodging those damned Cybs -- so more work is needed.

On the question of death exits, I probably won't go that route because I want to promote the set as a pistol-start collection. And again, because of the BGM, I want to keep the play time short in each map. Continuers will end up with an abundance of ammo, trivializing the later maps unless I go for sudden, close traps, which is kinda dickish. We'll work it out as we go. ;)

Doom + Amiga Mods = Awesome.
Thats a neat slightly slaughter styled map which i really enjoyed to play and i'm definitly looking forward to more maps.

Another FDA. Complevel 9, UV, no deaths. You and those Baphomet faces, Steve. They're like a trademark.

Anyway, I did get infinitely-tall'd a couple of times, as a matter of fact, but the one that was worst was mostly my fault, not being aware enough of the situation. For the most part there should be so much room to run around that infinitely-tall flyers shouldn't be much of a problem, one mainly just needs to keep ground-based guys in mind at certain points. I like the healthy showing of bullets in the ammo balance; I used the chaingun quite a lot early on, and it's not uncommon for maps in this general vein to sort of denigrate that weapon a bit. Some of the health and a lot of the heavy ammo are probably unnecessary from a strictly tactical standpoint, but having it there does allow folks to play in a more freewheeling way, which might be worth considering.

The absolute biggest threats are the chaingunners, bar none. If you put more of them in (shotgunners also) you'll doubtlessly make the map harder, it's true, but upping the hitscan count while also reducing the health will tend to engender more cautious/conservative play even from normally aggressive players, which may not be quite the effect you really want to see, especially if this is supposed to be in the same vein as 'The Miley Cyrus Concert', where the whole idea is to run around like a headless chicken (albeit one armed with a huge weapon). If you want to go that route anyway, replacing the earliest green armor with a blue one might help, or, if you're feeling ballsy, maybe an early blur sphere or two, since with all of the projectile-slingers around that powerup would also have a bit of a risk/reward dynamic to it in this scenario.

The revenants out in the water are no big deal, they hit me a couple of times because I'm a jackass, but skillful playing should render them harmless. Of the mid-tier enemy types, the ones who really have a lot of potential in this map are the arachnatrons--vast expanses of open water and the many crisscrossing firing lanes that characterize the central structure are good terrain for them, so if you're looking to beef up raw enemy count don't forget about the humble spiderbaby.

The most obvious technical issue I see is persistent HOM at the horizon beyond the bounds of the map, surprised nobody else has mentioned that yet. Should be an easy fix.

Edit: If you want to drop in some additional arch-viles, a good time/place for them to appear might be back in the main courtyard once the player turns the cyberdemons loose--they could get busy rezzing stuff back there, so players would have to either run to deal with that situation with the cybs at their backs or alternately eliminate the cyb group quickly right near the red key before it all gets too out of hand to be effectively managed.

SteveD said:

I see you did the things I do to beat this thing. The water is the key, though I do worry that there's too much tedious Revvie-killing. As we all know, I'm way more into the Hitscanner Game and I'm not that great at designing Meat-based fights, but I'm trying to improve.

Killing the revs wasn't that tedious, I just waited until I got the rocket launcher. They weren't very threatening though. Even when I'm not in the water, their shots mostly get caught on the ledges.

I do want UV to be more than a good workout -- my wrist got tired from dodging those damned Cybs -- so more work is needed.

I think maybe having the cybers teleport to different locations in the map (that the player is going to have to go to, or at least go by) might work better than clustering them in a big group. And make sure there's no extremely safe spots to fight them. like I said, standing on the water made dodging their rockets quite easy -- much like the revenants, many of their shots got caught on the ledge -- and it was just a matter of holding down fire until they were mostly dead.

If you want to force efficient BFG use on cybers, I think the general rule is 80 to 120 cells per cyberdemon, depending on how unforgiving you want to be and how much other ammo the player has. I don't know how much you've got, but I'm sure it's much more than that. Two BFG blasts timed right is always enough to kill a cyberdemon, as I'm sure you saw from Ribbiks' demo if you didn't know it already.

Demon of the Well said:

The most obvious technical issue I see is persistent HOM at the horizon beyond the bounds of the map, surprised nobody else has mentioned that yet. Should be an easy fix.

Doesn't appear in GL mode I think, which is maybe why no one else caught it. Very obvious in software PrB+ though, you're right.

SteveD said:

One more thing, since all the music is from the Amiga platform, it is in MOD, aka Tracker format, one of the Amiga's great gifts to the world. I've had issues with this and other maps using MODs when playing in GZDoom and GLBoom-plus. The game gets choppy and almost locks up sometimes.

In GZDoom, have you tried changing the module replayer engine, or changing its settings if using foo_DUMB?

This was really nice. Good action all the way through. Looks cool too so you get a thumbs up from me :)

I was roped into playing this on merit of it being a demoscene tribute alone.

Rather enjoyed it, was expecting all out slaughter by the way it opened up, but it became a little more casual after letting that main courtyard infight for a bit.

Since you're interested in making it harder, for me the cyberdemon fight was a bit lackluster, how they all clump together in a small group to be murdered. I think if instead they got placed around different parts of the map (which is of a scale large enough they should be able to navigate much of it), it'd be more difficult as they snipe through massive hallways while you're trying to dispatch another.

I played with infinitely tall actors, had no problems.

Revised map; http://www.mediafire.com/download/im4ist9636vn9vr/ADP1aaa.wad

This version incorporates gameplay revisions suggested by Demon of The Well, plums and Vorpal. DoTW called for more Arachnotrons, so I added 11 in the water area. I could always add more, but this definitely achieves the criss-crossing plasma streams he spoke of. ;) Plums noted that the ledges between land and water blocked monster fire, so I raised the water level. The ledges are now 32 units high on both sides and they don't block anything anymore. ;D Both plums and Vorpal suggested I relocate the Cyb teleport destinations so they don't all appear in one area. I did this, and added a couple more monsters as well, so you have something other than Cybs to worry about.

I added a bit of ammo and detail, the latter mainly in the form of more techno-lamp columns. These started as a way to prevent the player from accessing the red key area too early, but was expanded to add balance and also provide cover from monsters in the water. If anyone hates them, let me know.

If anyone who's played this before wants to give it another looksee, that would be way cool. I don't think it's much more difficult, but the end fights are at least more interesting thanks to the (cough)Archies(cough), and some of the infighting mechanics have changed. I UV-Maxed it, but by now I know what works for me. I did have one really cool death when Cybs shot me out of the sky while I jumped for the Megasphere. That's the kinda shit that makes Doom worth playing. :D

I'm sorry it took so long to post revisions and begin answering comments, but aside from unexpected commitments, my keyboard died while playtesting the map. Eh, at least it shut me up for awhile. ;D

OP will be revised with the new file.

tourniquet said:

Doom + Amiga Mods = Awesome.
Thats a neat slightly slaughter styled map which i really enjoyed to play and i'm definitly looking forward to more maps.

Thanks, tourniquet! I expect to do about 2 of these a month and I'm starting the new one tonight, using the track from a demo with the initials BHTD. The track is one of the most aggressive in the current list, and I'll try to make the map reflect that. Should be ready in a week or so.

Demon of the Well said:

You and those Baphomet faces, Steve. They're like a trademark.

Heh, true dat! They're perfect as doors, wall-hangings, stocking stuffers ... and when you see the Baphomet face, can the "giant stucco rooms" be far behind? ;D

Great FDA. I wounded you a few times, but it turned out that Miley was tougher than Mad Freak, since she almost took you out. I still glow with pride whenever I watch that. ;) And yes, the main thing I wanted to achieve was to force the player to "run around like a headdless chicken", and perhaps run into trouble, especially on the Chaingunner Stairway of Death, or going for the SSG right away and getting all those Revvies on their tail. Really, the only idea I had when I started this is how those charging Pinkies would look as the central column descends. Everything else I pulled out of my ass like usual. :D

If you have ever heard of The Dickies, the daffiest of all American punk bands, and further heard their magnificent cover of The Banana Splits Theme, and if you have ever seen a certain film which uses this music, this scene exemplifies the feeling I wanted to put across; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUdx2siotUo

God, I love that movie and that song!

Demon of the Well said:

Some of the health and a lot of the heavy ammo are probably unnecessary from a strictly tactical standpoint, but having it there does allow folks to play in a more freewheeling way, which might be worth considering.

Well, it's necessary for me to beat UV. :D But I agree -- if I want to pitch UV in these maps to endanger players like yourself, I can shave the health and ammo. Point taken on the hitscanners, but you know, when I watched the Ribbiks FDA, he owned the Meat Game as expected, but those Chaingunners were chopping him down. I think he was down in the 20s once. Well, let's just say, I scented blood and I wanted more. ;D It seemed that just 2 - 4 more Chaingunners in the right spot could've taken him out. But the new additions are all Meat, including the Archies that I forgot to give you credit for in the revision post. I might need more of them, actually, because I UV-Maxed with very few saves and only about 3 deaths once I survived the first encounter, so it's not hard enough. The Archies did make the big fight more fun and interesting, though, and the additional Arachnotrons put on a nice show of firepower. They didn't kill me, though, and proved useful as external weaponry. ;D

Thanks again for your FDA and comments. I'll have another one for you soon enough.

SteveD said:

Thanks, tourniquet! I expect to do about 2 of these a month and I'm starting the new one tonight, using the track from a demo with the initials BHTD. The track is one of the most aggressive in the current list, and I'll try to make the map reflect that. Should be ready in a week or so.

Sounds great keep it up!

Sloppy-ass (yet perky) demo of me playing it again. Complevel 2 this time, I'm not sure why I thought I needed to do -cl 9 last time.

I think you'll like that one, I'm pretty sure I make a crass mistake and go down to 1% health at one point. I felt this was the most entertaining of 3 attempts I recorded (although you probably would have preferred the one where I slipped on a banana peel or some shit and died almost immediately, I'm sure), mostly because I noticed I never used a single round of shell ammo therein. Anyway, I definitely made the map harder than it needed to be playing the way I did, but this is how I like to play, and the map is very conducive to it. So, good work! It's probably very possible to play this much more safely/methodically by lording over the central area as well, so it's a relatively accommodating floorplan either way.

With the rail heights lowered, the added arachnatrons work well, they provide the kind of ranged area suppression the outer perimeter needed for sure. Other than arch-viles and possibly pain elementals en masse, no monster in Doom is better at this than them, chaingunners included. Speaking of, the arch-viles themselves don't seem like they turn out to be much of a factor, sadly--maybe they need to be spread out a little more themselves, dunno--but breaking up the cyber group helps a bit (although in the other successful run two of them somehow wound up on the central dais, rather than one). The only other thing I can think of offhand I'd like to see is the addition of yet more points where the player can climb out of the water back into the base--it looks like you added a few already, but I still found myself wanting more. Not a big deal in the end, though.

Demon of the Well said:

I think you'll like that one, I'm pretty sure I make a crass mistake and go down to 1% health at one point. I felt this was the most entertaining of 3 attempts I recorded (although you probably would have preferred the one where I slipped on a banana peel or some shit and died almost immediately, I'm sure), mostly because I noticed I never used a single round of shell ammo therein.

Wait wait wait wait, did you say "slipped on a banana peel . . . and died"????? Did I hear that right? If so, if you could find your way to uploading that version, you could always PM it to me. I mean, shit, I'm ready to break out the champagne and celebrate this long-sought moment. ;)

But on to this demo. I gotta say, that was ultra-entertaining. My favorite part might have been right at the beginning, the way you zoomed up The Chaingunner Stairway of Death like some kind of cruise missile and followed a -- dare I say it? -- perfect path for rapid demolition of those bald-headed jagoffs. Fuckin'-A, that was so cool. I was also impressed by how you handled the PEs from above. I wouldn't dare try that with Risen3D, that's just asking for a "Good at Doom!" death, but it's nice to see that it's possible.

I agree about the new Archies. They did better against me, because at the start I drew out the 6 Revvies from the Green Armor trap and brought them down into the mass of infighting, so all the initial monsters got killed right there, and the Archies had plenty of emergency medical work to do before I could dodge around the Cybs and get them. As a result, even before you did this demo, I added -- for UV only -- 2 more Archies, and spread those out a bit. I haven't done a check of the map since, but this should offer a decent combo of resurrection plus direct Archie danger, and maybe some ammo stress if things go against the player.

Possibly the single best way to increase difficulty is to replace all the water Revvies, except the teleporters, with Arachnotrons. The way it is now, I found it easy to use the extra Arachnotrons to kill all the Revvies, but in the process, several Arachnatrons were killed, and most of the survivors were heavily damaged and killed with a single shot. So without Revvies to distract them, the spider babies would be very intimidating with their suppressing fire. Against that, there is a degree of fun in using strategy by luring the Revvies into conflict with the Arachnotrons. I have 9 more maps to play with, so maybe it's okay for Map01 to be a little easier, so long as it's an enetertaining little blast of violence. Decisions, decisions. ;D

As for 2 Cybs on the central dais, that's a concern. The only thing I can think is that maybe it's related to how I do teleport closets. It's just one closet for all the Cybs, and I separate the monsters with Block Monster lines on an 8-unit grid, and the teleport lines are all on the descending floor, divided by vertices. So there's an 8-unit space between the line and the descending floor's wall, and I suppose it's possible that, sometimes, one monster can step onto the other side of the vertice and go to the wrong place. I can always go down to a 1-unit grid, or even my older method of crenelating the walls to better separate the monsters without resorting to separate rooms.

Thanks again for the second demo and the commentary. It's both fun to watch and helpful. And do I even need to say that the Doom Gods smiled on you once again when you survived that Cyb rocket at 1%? ;D

Thanks for reminding me I suck at fda, beat it eventually (most recent linked version):
http://speedy.sh/hvM6P/adp1aaa-fda-ggg.lmp

Fun arena map w/ simple route that isn't too complex to remember. If you fall off beginning platform you can't go back up to get the items, but that's just for retards that don't get them beforehand. Maybe forcing all battle inside from water area would be better, like maybe make it -5 damage acid, doesn't matter much, and maybe that wouldn't be a good idea anyway. But the water area has so much roaming room, circling around that huge area is less action packed than being inside the arena.

If you made all revs arachnotrons, best strategy might be to get cybers to infight them, not sure, haven't analyzed a route at all really.
The music is midi right? (pretty sure prboom+ can't play mp3 so I guess so)

Gez said:

In GZDoom, have you tried changing the module replayer engine, or changing its settings if using foo_DUMB?

I apologize for taking a week to answer you. First I got distracted by life and then by fresh posts.

Anyway, before addressing the specifics of your post, over time I've tried several of the music players in G/ZDoom. The surprising thing is that both G/ZDoom and Risen3D use FMOD, but the performance in Risen3D has always been better, especially with looping. G/ZDoom is the only port I've used that gives me trouble with looping MODs. The same was happening with this map until I changed the MOD's extension from the front, as it is in Amiga -- mod.xxxxx -- to the Windows standard of xxxxx.mod. After that, it looped fine, but this was not necessary in Risen3D, Boom or Eternity.

I'm considering the possibility that the imminent death of my keyboard had something to do with with the choppiness. I have not had these troubles since that keyboard died, and so far, no one else has reported any performance issues. So I'll ask you, is this something that has come up before?

BTW, this usually happened after about 20 minutes of play.

There are always other possibilities, too, like RAM issues because I'm running browsers in the background, or maybe there's something spooky because I launch GZDoom and GLBoom with ZDL, since they both have/had the choppiness issue.

Looking at the Module Replayer Page makes me wish I could attend a course at Doom University. More stuff to figure out and fiddle with. Yay. :D

It's a pain because, so far, the way I have to test maps in Risen3D when a texture pack is part of the deal is that I have to physically move cc4-tex.wad into the R3DGames folder that contains the current version of the map, and a new folder is created with each iteration of said map -- I always make a new file after every change, an old Hellmaker habit because that puppy would crash and eat your map on a frequent basis. So the R3DLauncher way is more annoying than the ZDL way. I'll have to get off my ass and write Abbs about this, and also about his super-aggressive auto-aim that likes to shoot rockets into the floor at your feet.

Fun fun fun. ;D

cannonball said:

This was really nice. Good action all the way through. Looks cool too so you get a thumbs up from me :)

Cool, I hope I keep you entertained in the next one, too. Now all I need from you is some E4 maps to test. ;)

Vorpal said:

I was roped into playing this on merit of it being a demoscene tribute alone.

Ah, that warms the cockles of me heart. I have PC demoscene music too, for another project a bit farther off on the horizon.

Allow me to repeat my apology to Gez for taking so long to reply. And would you by any chance be Vorpal of Alien Vendetta? I'm definitely honored if so.

I followed your suggestions and also added more teleporting Archies, as you may have read. There are now 4 of them, but still not enough, I think. One idea I had early in the process was teleporting in a Thousand Plane Raid of Cacos from those columns at the edge of the map. Maybe in another map. ;D The design of this one seems relatively happy the way it is, but I'm still open to suggestions. It'll take about 5 months before this project is merged into one WAD, so plenty of time to mess with difficulty.

BTW, if you are Vorpal of AV, I'm currently having a rough time in your Curst WAD, of a "Where's the fucking ammo?" variety. I may retry it in HNTR in order to learn the map so I can come back and conquer on UV. You'll be hearing from me. ;D

MegaTurtleRex said:

Thanks for making this, I turned the music up, so good :P

Glad you liked the music . . . I think. ;D Wait'll you hear the next track. Jam the volume and entertain your neighbors down the block with the godlike power of BHTD. :D