Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Your favorite console based FPS?

Goldeneye all the way, baby. I've never really gotten into many console FPS games, I'm too spoiled by mouse/keyboard controls, but I'm always up for Goldeneye. I can't even emulate it, either, gotta be on the original system, because I can't play it with anything but an N64 controller (heh, I'm pretty sure someone out there has made a USB adapter or N64 controllers, I should look into that).

Oh, Metroid Prime: Corruption was also pretty damn good (never got a chance to play the other Metroid Prime games).

I used to own the Zero Tolerance cartridge before I sold it, but I can't say I actually like the game beyond the novelty of raycasting on an unaugmented Mega Drive.

I know a lot of people here dislike Halo, but I actually like the first two, though I prefer the first. While it does have regen health in the form of the shields, the first game still permanently punished you after you lost the shields. While you do move somewhat slowly, mobility is still important, especially in multiplayer. You can still dodge shots, and I like the emphasis on vertical movement. Besides, I know one of the devs IRL.

Oh, I can't forget to mention the Timesplitters trilogy. I fucking loved the third one.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, I also liked Goldeneye Rogue Agent and Agent Under Fire.

Goldeneye

I remember spending ours trying to unlock the cheats; it was a real challenge. You had to beat a level on hard difficulties under a certain amount of time. The facilities level (level 2) was the hardest. I came so close, but I was a couple seconds off. I never unlocked the cheat for that one.

Also,

Nothing beats the multi-player experience I had. I remember going to my friend's house with a bunch of other kids, and we would all play 4-player split screen. That was an awesome time.

Doom 64, naturally. It's a highly underrated game, in my opinion, and a worthy installment in the Doom franchise.

Sodaholic said:
I know a lot of people here dislike Halo, but I actually like the first two, though I prefer the first.

I've played more multiplayer Halo 1 and 2 than any other multiplayer game aside from World of Warcraft.

The latter Ratchet & Clank games allowed you to play in first-person, even though they aren't first-person shooters per se.

Borderlands 1 & 2.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

Black.

Resistance series, for having some fairly inventive firearms, considering it was otherwise a run-of-the-mill superdesaturated bland-a-thon FPS.

TimeShift and Singularity, for great ideas, despite flawed executions.

Despite it being a horrid piece of shit, Deus Ex: Invisible War, for having, among other weapons, an SMG that launches robot spiders as an alt, and a dart gun with darts that set people on fire. But maybe I'm just a sucker for stuff like that.

Hmm Goldeneye 64 and Perfect Dark are definitely hard to forget for their multiplayer.

For singleplayer I would have to choose between Turok and Halo.

The Turok 64 series has really nice animations and blood effects:

Stygian said:

Doom 64, naturally. It's a highly underrated game, in my opinion, and a worthy installment in the Doom franchise.

How could I have forgotten to mention that? Perhaps it's because I never thought of it as a console game, since my only real experience of it has been with Doom 64 EX. It certainly is a worthy installment.

Because I really like the concept of one huge unified Doom game, 64 does bother me somewhat in the larger map scale. Though that could probably be easily rectified by reducing the overall sector heights, since it just gets stretched by 1.2 in PC Doom specs. Not sure if Doom 64 for Doom 2 does that (though I hope it does), but either way, it'll probably be my preferred way of playing it.

Although the PC version of Deus Ex 1 is preferrable, I do like some of the things that the PS2 version did. I like the sound effect changes (especially those of the menu), the fact that you don't need a medbot to install augs, its redesign of Hell's Kitchen with the alarms and tunnels added to it (I think it's more interesting).

Although I don't dislike it, I never felt that the regional health thing was necessary or added much to the experience. You're gonna get hit in all spots anyway, and you're gonna use medkits, and if you don't suck at the game, your health will never be low enough to impede your abilities. In concept, it's cool and adds more depth, in practice, it's useless abstraction that makes no real difference.

yukib1t said:

I get the feeling I'm the only one who really disliked Goldeneye and Perfect Dark...

You're not alone, I can't really get into those ones.

I probably played Perfect Dark more than any other console-based shooter (other than PSX/N64 Doom, of course), so it gets my vote. It was a pretty huge game for being on an N64 cart. I really liked that the institute you work for was this fully explorable map between levels, that actually gets incorporated into the story during later missions. It was pretty diverse, too, in terms of design, and the weapons were very unique for the time. And that soundtrack? Highly memorable, even though it sounded like it was made on the very first edition of Fruity Loops.

It's a shame that I probably won't play it much anytime soon. Like everyone else, I've been spoiled by the smooth framerates of modern games, so much so that it's difficult to go back to choppy games like PD. IT's also a smeary mess, as were most N64 games, although considering the hardware, it's one of the best looking games on the system.

I don't really find it that hard to adapt back to older games unless I've played them to the point of boredom that I would never feel like playing them anymore for quite a long time.

Never got into either Goldeneye or Perfect Dark either... Goldeneye in particular, I simply couldn't see what makes it so great.
However, there is one game on the same console, and it's called Turok 2! That there is one of my favorite FPS games period, not only on consoles (it has a PC version too). It's amazing all around, the only grievance I have with it is that sometimes enemy collisions are wonky and weapons don't harm armored enemies even when you seem to shoot them in the armor-less areas, and explosive weapons rarely actually deal the blast damage, so your best bet is trying to hit folks directly with them (then again, it recognizes shots in actual areas of the body and with things like the bow collisions are amazingly accurate, you can even shoot an arrow between someone's legs and it will fly through). Other than that? Truly amazing game, awesome soundtrack, interesting levels, epic bosses, cool weapons, lots of violence, oh man!

TimeSplitters 2 was probably my all-time favourite, with Red Faction and Golden Eye: Rogue Agent following up (TS:FP was great too, but a couple of the changes didn't seem like improvements to me). Honourable mention to the CoD Modern Warfare series for great split screen experiences since moving on from the PS2.

Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Turok 1
Doom 64

All N64 games funnily enough, was one of the main genres the N64 actually did fairly well in.
After the N64 i pretty much moved to the PC scene so i didn't really play many console shooters after that

Fallout 3 and new vegas
dead space if you count them
Resistance games

I dont play much fps games on consoles. I enjoy games like contra, chrono trigger, castlevania, crash bandicoot, super metroid on different retroconsoles. I also got turok 2 and 3 besides other n64 games but I dont yet have actual n64 console. I'm planning to buy one boxed on summer.

Turok Evolution was glitchy, ugly, and occasionally frustrating. Yet still somehow entertaining.

Red Faction was nice. The sequel could also count as a guilty pleasure.

Sodaholic said:

Because I really like the concept of one huge unified Doom game, 64 does bother me somewhat in the larger map scale. Though that could probably be easily rectified by reducing the overall sector heights, since it just gets stretched by 1.2 in PC Doom specs. Not sure if Doom 64 for Doom 2 does that (though I hope it does), but either way, it'll probably be my preferred way of playing it.

Messing with sector heights just because of the different pixel aspect ratio would be impractical.

All of the Timesplitters series, hands down. Took what made Perfect Dark and Goldeneye so good and just improved immensely on them.
It's a pity that Free Radical are no more... would love to have seen what could have been done on the last gen tech!

Timesplitters 1 & 2 (not played the last one), Doom PSX (grew up with it so naturally it would be on my list) and Exhumed on the PSX for me.

Edit: I thought Free Radical was acquired by Crytek?

Waffenak said:

Fallout 3 and new vegas
dead space if you count them

Fallout 3 is first person, but isn't a shooter, it's an RPG. Dead Space doesn't count, it's a shooter, but it's over-the-shoulder third person.

Da Werecat said:

Messing with sector heights just because of the different pixel aspect ratio would be impractical.

The lower viewheight also has to be taken into account. I suppose as long as switches are lowered that it doesn't matter that much, but being the nitpicker that I am it still irks me that the spacial aesthetic is being distorted.

Then again, it and PSX Doom were developed in the United States where it was intended for NTSC displays, so ignoring the unintended PAL pixel ratio, PSX Doom (and SNES, though I don't consider it "proper" Doom) displayed the PC maps at 8:7 ratio, and even Doom 64 wasn't perfectly square, but was rather 32:35 (same with Jaguar, 32X, and 3DO). So then maybe it doesn't matter too much, especially since the step height is still 24.

Also, as far as I can tell, PSX Doom displays sprites at roughly 65% by 90% relative to the world, allowing it to not look too tall when shifting it out of the ground (because the renderer didn't support sprites bleeding into the floor) and also roughly retain the 5:6 ratio.

Given developer comments and internal documentation, I also suspect that id themselves assumed square pixels, 8 pixels per foot as far as the 3D world was concerned, photographed sprites aside which are undoubtedly meant to be seen in 5:6 because they were captured at 640x480 and scaled to 320x200 before they started to refine and palletize them. I'm certain that Quake was meant to be seen with square pixels, yet the player bounding box is still 32x56.

Again, I'm a nitpicker. :P

The levels will look and feel differently anyway. Totally different texture style, plus some of the mappers decided to rebuild their maps rather than port them.

Springy said:

I thought Free Radical was acquired by Crytek?

They were, but Crytek have no intention of using the IP to create another Timesplitters because there's no high demand for another title. Crytek did however give a bunch of indie developers their blessing to use the IP to make their own game.

The result: Timesplitters Rewind (still in early development)

There's also a campaign on facebook called 100,000 Strong for Timeplitters to persuade Crytek that there is some demand. They're only half way there though.

I used to play Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect with an old friend years ago, most fun we've ever had on a console.

So many FPS threads recently.

Probably Battlefront or Battlefront II, although I remember really enjoying Medal of Honor: Rising Sun on the PS2.

Avoozl said:

I don't really find it that hard to adapt back to older games unless I've played them to the point of boredom that I would never feel like playing them anymore for quite a long time.

Have you seen how laggy Perfect Dark can get?