Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ChaosOverlord

wad file size

considering the detail levels i wish to attain in the creation of my new map, what is a decent file size for a wad ... it's not just any wad tho, it will definately be worth it if it ended up being like 600k+ ... just curious tho...

Guest Fanatic

Depending on how big the level is, the WAD file size can vary.

Extremely large and detailed levels can hit 1-5 megs in size, descent sized levels might be from 500k-1 meg, etc. That's what I've seen typically.

I don't think you can get above ~4 megs. I got to 4.2MB before the game crashed because of too much data. Apparently if sidedefs or segs data exceeds 32K (and possibly others, although it's almost impossible to have more of any others than those two) then the maps can't be loaded.

Single maps, that is.

I don't think you can get above ~4 megs. I got to 4.2MB before the game crashed because of too much data. Apparently if sidedefs or segs data exceeds 32K (and possibly others, although it's almost impossible to have more of any others than those two) then the maps can't be loaded.

Single maps, that is.

I dunno, I'd think it's pretty simple to exceed the limit on things... though that's probably 64k things in the level... Actually, if you're putting in a lot of decorations and such, that's going to be hit before you reach 32k in sidedefs or segs.

All in favor of 32-bit WDX format with higher resolution...

You would think that, but surprisingly, most of the decorations and visual details are done with varying shapes and sizes of sectors.. Sure, I'll have a lot of "things" in the level too, but, sectors are pretty powerful for visual splendor.. that way you can create true 3d things, instead of things that move with your line of vision..