Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Looper

Nomonster speedrunning

Well, there's already E1M3 secret exit in 27.62 by Janne Kalliomäki (done in 2002), heh. Also it's possible to glide through the fence near the bridge there. Most of the times wallruns actually slow the player :P

Here's Janne's demo. I think it was in the /incoming/ of pdang.

n1o3j027.zip

Looper said:

Well, there's already E1M3 secret exit in 27.62 by Janne Kalliomäki (done in 2002), heh. Also it's possible to glide through the fence near the bridge there. Most of the times wallruns actually slow the player :P

Here's Janne's demo. I think it was in the /incoming/ of pdang.

I know about the glide, but I couldn't pull it off well enough. Didn't think to run back the way I came :P. I don't think that demo is perfect either, though. I feel like 26 is realistic. I'll try the glide more as well.

Looper said:

Doom2 map22 in 18s.

This map is all about skill.

Did you just bash your head on the bars until you got through or is there some trick for that? I remember spending too much time trying to figure out that glide.

There are short wallrun possibilities, but that'd mean the monsters would have to get out of your way by themselves, which doesn't seem very probable. My movement is not entirely optimal, but it's smooth enough to make 10 a bit too far in the masochism zone.

kunkun: Heh, I feel like I'm the only one who finds that glide hilariously easy. Face slightly left from the forward direction and do a slow mouse sweep right after you touch the bars. My old Cz-N submission had a much smoother glide than Looper's despite the demo's otherwise questionable quality.

sp22-020.80.zip

dew said:

There are short wallrun possibilities, but that'd mean the monsters would have to get out of your way by themselves, which doesn't seem very probable. My movement is not entirely optimal, but it's smooth enough to make 10 a bit too far in the masochism zone.

I obtained 11.37 without -nomonsters, and it's pretty smooth looking. The wallrun seems far too short to help much, and, because of the shortness, it'd have to be instant to help at all. I haven't had any runs on which the monsters in the final room move out of my way.

Nope, I didn't have any tactic, just bashed my head till it let me through in less than a second and hoping it wasn't too slow for 18.

I did try dew's tactic but I did it slightly different (wrong), so it wasn't a success. I should have looked his demo more careful, though I didn't know his tactic was that good. All I needed was few fast glides because I did practice the map with save/loads after the glide to minimize the amount of glides needed. The jump in the end is (hilariously) easy if you activate the lift while flying.

Heh I've got a few demos to share now.

Plutonia Map 01 in 12 seconds (this took a while)
Scythe Map 07 in 1 second (this demo is literately a joke :P)

scythe7plutonia1.zip

4shockblast said:

Scythe Map 17 in 0:25.89.
Bonus demo in 0:26.91 without strafe50.

Nice runs. Also a smart idea to lower both platforms in BSK room. Sorry to sound like a n00b, but does that alone save 2 seconds? I'm curious because the best I can do on Scythe MAP17 SR40 only is 28 (28.77 is my all-time best). Your running is probably cleaner than mine too, with better turning angles and such. Just wondering. :)

doomdaniel95 said:

Nice runs. Also a smart idea to lower both platforms in BSK room. Sorry to sound like a n00b, but does that alone save 2 seconds? I'm curious because the best I can do on Scythe MAP17 SR40 only is 28 (28.77 is my all-time best). Your running is probably cleaner than mine too, with better turning angles and such. Just wondering. :)

I'm not sure that it's a necessity to lower both platforms to get 26, but it's very helpful. Theoretically, I assume it may be possible to avoid a bump in the blue key room without lowering the other platform, but it seems very difficult as the opening is pretty small. I doubt that .91 is optimal anyway, and I imagine .7x or maybe .6x may very well be possible (my last jump down is a little shaky). Your demo on the DSDA is a little bumpy, and I think better movement saved me more time than the platform trick.

4shockblast said:

I'm not sure that it's a necessity to lower both platforms to get 26, but it's very helpful. Theoretically, I assume it may be possible to avoid a bump in the blue key room without lowering the other platform, but it seems very difficult as the opening is pretty small. I doubt that .91 is optimal anyway, and I imagine .7x or maybe .6x may very well be possible (my last jump down is a little shaky). Your demo on the DSDA is a little bumpy, and I think better movement saved me more time than the platform trick.

Thanks for all your comments/ideas/advice. I suppose I'll just have to keep improving my standards and try to smooth out my shaky keyboard playing.

Scythe MAP15 (normal exit) in 9.94 seconds. SR40 only.

Question for those of you who want to try this using SR50: Is it possible to SR50 jump across the railings and onto the one where you pass to the right of the blue skull bars, and onto the YSK platform? And if it is, would that route be faster than using the teleporter?

I don't think 8 is possible without using SR50, but I'll be mindblown if it is haha.

doomdaniel95 said:

Question for those of you who want to try this using SR50: Is it possible to SR50 jump across the railings and onto the one where you pass to the right of the blue skull bars, and onto the YSK platform? And if it is, would that route be faster than using the teleporter?

I don't think 8 is possible without using SR50, but I'll be mindblown if it is haha.

Where's the demo? :)

doomdaniel95 said:

Tried this map a bit. The strafejump is possible, but it seems pretty much as fast as the teleporter route. 8 seconds (with strafe50) has been giving me a bit of trouble to get, though.

4shockblast said:

Tried this map a bit. The strafejump is possible, but it seems pretty much as fast as the teleporter route. 8 seconds (with strafe50) has been giving me a bit of trouble to get, though.

Man you've really been answering my questions tonight. Thanks for all that! :)

Hmm, I thought 8 would be easily possible with SR50, but I guess not.

Ahh Doomdaniel95, you have beat me. I've been trying to get attempts for almost an hour, yet no luck. Another time this summer I'll try beating you. Was fun competition :) Oh and also I'm working on some Plutonia 2 demos, stick around for that :D