Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

PANOPHOBIA - Community Project (Let's get this going again shall we! )

MajorRawne said:

I wanted Spider Island 2 to come straight after part 1 with no Running Scared between them - this is where I buggered up and lost an RS map, and I actually incorporated a short RS segment into the start of another map, but it somehow failed to save. Having an RS between every map severely limits the number of actual Panophobia maps.

I understand but we were going to release it with 15 maps in the first place, since getting 32 fear maps at this rate is a foolish endeavor. If you think you could get part 2 out soonish that'd be swell and we could account for it, but as it stands Spider Island pt 1 and Acid Reign are the two you promised for the map that are close(r) to completion, and finishing those should be your top priority.

EDIT: The post below was written without me seeing the above post.

I haven't got time to upload my Running Scared and other maps at the moment. There will be approximately 15 of these and I've got two nearly finished (plus two that were lost), so the remaining 11 can be farmed out. I should like to add the following rules:

1. Running Scared maps are sideshows to keep the player on edge. The maps should NOT overshadow the main maps for gameplay or visual appeal. Don't ram them with all your best ideas.

2. Keep them short and intense, but don't equip the player to fight the monsters.

3. Don't make the mistake I did and spend days upon days working on an RS map; it should be good looking and exciting, but not your masterwork.

My Acid Reign map is also nearly finished. I have added tributes to The Focus and Alien Vendetta today, and sorted out some confusion in the gameplay flow. The Nirvana/Human BBQ area has a couple of frustrating HOM issues.

Thanks dobu for trying to get the momentum going again for this project. I was actually thinking of posting on this thread again but u beat me to the punch.

If you would like to take over as project leader, you are welcome to do so as my time for mapping is very limited nowadays.

I can still help out with the title/intermission pics, play testing, and revising my maps.

No problem. All I think I need is the ending pic and your "At the Mercy of Sin" map to be finished... difficulties too if they're not implemented. Otherwise it's just a bunch of Running Scared maps and playtesting.

Sure thing. I'll keep in on posting during the days to come.

Oh, and I don't remember weather or not this project was boom compatible or not. I'm leaning towards the not...

Hey thanks a bunch—the more of these I have the happier I am (even if they come from people not related to the main project!). Only thing I may do is remove the first mastermind or change it to something else, as it's pretty unlikely that it won't damage you, and I think these maps should be beatable with all your health intact.

I was thinking about that, but considering you get a Berserk right at the star of the next map it isn't a huge problem. It's your call though.

^ You actually start the map on a soulsphere on UV, which would be wasted if you're at low health :P I'll keep the second one in though. I finished 3 Running Scared segments (MAP15, MAP23 & MAP29), and might do MAP11. As soon as Major provides his maps I'll post the new alpha... though didn't BloodAcid update Meat Train? I don't have his newest copy if that's the case.

Does this mean we also can't use zombies in Running Scared?

I'll try and get the first playtest alpha of Acid Reign up today.

EDIT: This has been mentioned before, but several of my maps appear in a row. I think people might prefer this to be changed. I can make my levels much harder if they're going to appear later in the megawad.

^ You can, but always keep in mind what the next level starts with (medikit? berserk pack?) zombie men are alright as long as there's not too many of them. And we'll work with rearranging levels once we play through them all once more, as I too think that author variety would be appreciated.

Right then, here's the (currently unbeatable) alpha of Acid Reign.

The Alien Vendetta map 01 room and final E1M8 area are unfinished (I've got plans for them), there's currently no way to return to the start area (which doesn't harm gameplay) and as a whole the map is not completely finalised. EDIT: I was struggling for health and died in the Nirvana area, but I've easily beaten that area before. This is the first time I've played it with the Muse song blaring and it encouraged me to rush ahead - not a good idea in this map.

However, you can play through pretty much everything, it's only the exit area that is looking a bit bare. My recommendation is to play through the map without inspecting it in DB2 so you can tell me how many tribute areas you recognise. They've all been mostly retextured to fit the map's overall theme.

MAP: https://www.mediafire.com/?vp33o3dcisetgs1
- Fear of the past (no specific phobia name, amazingly)

MUSIC (modified by me): https://www.mediafire.com/?jaspqsm46yeh3f4
- Butterflies and Hurricanes by Muse

Thanks for the update; I'll play through it later. Are Temple of the Forgotten Gods and Welcome to Hell finished as well? I need download links in this thread so I can update them.

Yes, they're both virtually done. Hopefully I can actually live up to expectations for once and get them both uploaded today.

There is now just the one Spiderland map which is about 50% complete; it's a better situation than it sounds because all it needs is a proper gameplay flow, proper monster deployment and an exit. The map itself is largely built and finalised.

Some fucking thing has gone wrong with my Acid Reign map. Some of the tags seem to have got messed up. Teleports no longer work properly (I've fixed everything I found) and monsters no longer "wake up" and teleport onto the map from some rooms.

The map was running perfectly yesterday. It's like someone has gone into my map and fucked it up when I wasn't looking. Some of the ceiling heights were changed as well.

I should point out that the Acid Reign map I uploaded last night may or may not have these weird issues. It was playing perfectly just before upload.

It's like my computer is haunted or something.

When I tested it yesterday everything seemed to work fine (enemies teleport in on cue); you can download the map again and check. Also I've gotten somewhat efficient at making quick Running Scared maps so I can also snag slots 21 and 27 unless other people want them.

Not much right now I'm afraid. I'm going to do a more serious playthrough of all the maps once we get the beta up, but all I can say right now is that I thought ammo was very limited. I made it past the Nirvana area before running dry and eventually just IDDQD'ing around to scope it out. Design wise, my only fear is that the map seems too large, open and boxy to evoke the old wads, despite the signature architecture being there (though no one will mistake that E1M8 ending). Personally I think the most creative thing I saw was the ruined aftermath of the Dead Simple arena, and I kinda wish the map followed along more with that design.

dobu gabu maru said:

Design wise, my only fear is that the map seems too large, open and boxy to evoke the old wads...

That describes most of 1994, which would kind of confirm this map being based on the past. I'll wait til you've provided clarification before I rework any existing areas.

EDIT: I had 64 shotgun shells left when I returned to the main room (with the E1M1 and E1M3 areas and the E1M2 secret) after killing my way through the first part of the map. In fact, I considered removing some ammo from the first half of the map, but you need it for those two Barons who are loosed next to the E1M3 area.

The second half of the map has not had any gameplay balance checks yet, so it's likely there isn't enough ammo and health (but maybe too much armour). Did you use the berserk pack against that massive horde of Pinkies?

MajorRawne said:

The second half of the map has not had any gameplay balance checks yet, so it's likely there isn't enough ammo and health (but maybe too much armour). Did you use the berserk pack against that massive horde of Pinkies?

No, and that'd likely explain it as I was using my SSG to try and take out the hell knights that warped back in, although the pinkies ate most of the bullets.

I'll move the berserk pack next to the key and put a box of shells where the berserk pack used to be. I don't want to put too much ammo down as they player can be quite overstocked if they berserk the Pinkies.

EDIT: You're right about the ammo balance, in my playthrough I berserked the demons, the Revenant and the Hell Knights after the red key. If you don't berserk everybody, you don't have anything left over. This will be corrected.

Yeah berserk packs are tricky things to balance for, because you'll always have to consider that some players will punch out everything in that room and others will switch back to reliable weapons. Usually I assume the player will fight the pinkies unless there's a large number/other monsters also in the room.

Acid Reign is now almost finished. Just got to actually survive a playthrough, figure out why a couple of teleporter ambushes aren't working (I really hate those, they just randomly don't work), make sure health and ammo balance are ok and detail a couple of bland/unfinished areas.

I've added a number of extra shotgun shells to the map, plus some more health in the Nirvana area, since the Chaingunners tend to kill me after I hit the switch. I've added a Block Monster line to stop monsters packing into the E1M2 secret (if you have opened it). The staircase to the Threshold of Pain corridor needs texture alignment.

The music is actually a bit too fast paced, I wanted people to explore the map and see which areas they recognised, but Butterflies and Hurricanes (the Major Rawne edit, heh) is too exciting and encourages a blastathon. I might replace it with Dead Star which is slower but just as melodic. The music to Muse songs is fantastic, the instrumentals are almost better than the songs.

My maps are now:

* Welcome to hell (panophobia) - needs a playtest in Boom
* Temple of Forgotten Gods (aquaphobia) - needs a playtest in Boom
* Acid Reign (fear of the past) - needs finalising and playtest in ZDoom and Boom
* Nightmare in Spiderland (arachnophobia) - currently about 70% finished

I'm steadily making progress on AT THE MERCY OF SIN. Here are some shots of what I have so far...

I plan to work on BLOOD URGE afterwards and some RUNNING SCARED maps too in after I finish up MERCY.

Looking nice and gritty fiend, hope it turns out well. If you want any help with Blood Urge I wouldn't mind working on some of it. Also, I did the Running Scared segments for Whispers in the Dark and Vertigo Limit--you can check them out in the alpha I'll post soon (I can also move them to other maps if need be).

I'm throwing up the newest alpha right now just so I can get a yay or nay on whether my running scared sections are suitable; I can tone them down if need be. Also included are the newest tweaks to The Sigil as well.

Download Panophobia Alpha v.3 here. Not included are the text files, since I didn't change anything to them since 2.6. I like speedmapping rough ideas in the RS sections so I wouldn't mind doing a couple more.

MAP02 crashes GZDoom, I decided to look and I think the problem is linedef 501 for that map.

Apologies if this is redundant or if the wad's pretty much done, but it's worth asking considering the age of the project:

Are there any free slots available? It seems all of the fear maps are taken / being finished, but I read that you might need running scared maps. Any room for some fresh blood on this, or is it basically done?