Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amph

which enemy has the priority of being killed for you?

post your list(no bosses), mine is

chaingunner
archvile
mancubus
arachnotron
pain elemental
revenant
shotgun guy
cacodemon
lost soul
demon/spectre
imp
baron of hell
hell knight
zombieman

i clear out hitscanners first, because i've got a chance of dodging other enemies' attacks. Archviles usually take precedence as well when they are around. The rest is usually dependent on the context.

Other DM player
Chaingun guy
Shotgun guy
AV
Rev
PE
Arachnotron
Mancubus
Baron
HK
Cacodemon
Demon/spectre
Imp
Lost soul
Zombie man

Depends on the tactical situation, but arch-viles, pain elementals, and hitscanners are usually at the top of the priority queue.

I actually kill zombiemen with a higher priority than imps. Well, here's an attempt at a priority list:

Archvile | Chaingunner
Pain Elemental
(Mastermind, if he's close)
(Cyberdemon, if he's close)
Baron Of Hell, if he's close
Revenant | Mancubus | Shotgun Guy | (Nazi)
Zombieman | Lost Soul | Arachnotron
Imp | Cacodemon | Hell Knight | Demon | Spectre
Baron Of Hell, if he doesn't endanger me directly
(Cyberdemon, if he's far away or doesn't endanger me directly)
(Mastermind, if he's far away or doesn't endanger me directly)

I've included bosses, as I didn't see why not, they're not really "bosses" since the times of Doom 2 anyway.

really it does depend on the battle environment and the placement. f.e. if there are sniper enemies and ground enemies, i first take the snipers out since they're a distraction. but here's mine:

archie
pain elemental
chaingunner
sergeant
trooper
lost soul
caco
mancubus
revenant
arachnotron
baron
hellknight
demon/spectre
imp

and depending on where they're placed, barrels are either the top or the bottom.

Kill em all with extreme prejudice, shoot first and survey the scene after. Also, why pick out targets when you got infighting to do that for you?

The only monsters that I eliminate on sight are the Pain Elemental and it's Lost Souls, and the Arch-vile. If possible, I give them the BFG shampoo to get rid of them as fast as possible. These demons have caused me so much grief, it's a reflex action now.

mrthejoshmon said:

Kill em all with extreme prejudice, shoot first and survey the scene after. Also, why pick out targets when you got infighting to do that for you?

let's say that they won't fight each others, and you enter an area with all of them and without bfg or rocket launcher, at who you shoot first?

Amph said:

let's say that they won't fight each others, and you enter an area with all of them and without bfg or rocket launcher, at who you shoot first?

The closest ones first, then you work through the crowd until you stand in a group of bodies in a now empty area. The thing is if I don't worry about who is more of a threat, it makes taking out hordes easier (Funnel them down a path or take potshots from corners).

Also there will always be infighting if there is more than 1 type of enemy, if there was only one kind of enemy then the case would be where they are placed (Close guys first, guys up high die next).

Whatever enemy I consider the greatest threat at the moment, which are hitscanners most of the time.

This is not as straightforward to answer as it seems. It's easy to say chaingunner, then shotgunner etc, but I find myself going after Pain Elementals before anything else, since they can cause havoc. It irritates me in UV Max demos when Pain Elementals are left to generate dozens of Lost Souls.

You're usually going to take more damage from Chaingunners than Arch Viles. The really scary thing about Viles is how they can resurrect dead Barons, Mancubi etc.

MajorRawne said:

This is not as straightforward to answer as it seems.

Before I've replied to this thread (a few posts above), I've made sort of a mind experiment. I had imagined myself in the game, in a room where I'm fighting two particular monster types. I tried to imagine my feelings and ingame strategical thinking to decide, which of these two monster types I'd try to eliminate first. Purely comparative method. I've performed it multiple times in my mind with all possible monster combinations, and then I sorted out my list as it's written in my post above.

I actually came to a conclusion that in a room with chaingunners and PEs, I'd primarily attack chaingunners, because they pose an immediate high threat. Similarly with archviles and PEs. But with chaingunners and archviles, I couldn't decide, because that would really depend on the particular combat situation and timing of AV's attack.

scifista42 said:

I actually came to a conclusion that in a room with chaingunners and PEs, I'd primarily attack chaingunners, because they pose an immediate high threat. Similarly with archviles and PEs. But with chaingunners and archviles, I couldn't decide, because that would really depend on the particular combat situation and timing of AV's attack.

best if you get get the chaingunner hit the archvile, then kill the vile as he's busy resurrecting the gunner, so he can't counterattack immediately (takes him about the same time i need to pump rockets or plasma into him, if he doesn't get into pain state)

at least, the chaingunners are easily killed, so i might shoot them first just because i can get rid of them quicker.

Hitscanners first as they're usually the easiest, then Demons, then everything else. Only exception is Archviles, which I'll usually make priority because otherwise they'll just undo everything.

1. Archvile
2. Revenant
3. Hitscanners
4. Pain Elemental

5. Rest

I find it interesting that so many people rate Lost Souls so low. I usually kill them before most projectile enemies as they throw themselves at your face, restrict your movement, and can cause you to suicide with the RL.

There are only two which should be prioritized:

1. Archvile
2. Pain Elemental

Everything else is situational.

Belial said:

There are only two which should be prioritized:

1. Archvile
2. Pain Elemental

Everything else is situational.

Pretty much this, although I usually zero in on Revenants after the first two have been dealt with.

It depends on enemy placement, but generally :

1st group : the annoying
- archvile
- pain elemental

2nd group : the painful
- revenant
- baron of hell
- hell knight
- cacodemon

3rd group : covering fire
- arachnotron
- lost soul
- mancubus
- chaingunner (nice for some friendly fire fun)

4th group
- shotgun guy
- demon/spectre
- zombieman
- imp

I won't make a linear list, but I think this is part of what makes Doom so brilliant: enemies have an ability to control space which is, on average, inversely proportional to their damage and health. Posses shut down an arena, but you can dance and cuddle with most high-tiers.

Imagine how the game would play if this were reversed.

-Arch-viles go first because they revive most monsters.
-Pain Elementals spawn Lost Souls and they all waste ammo, so I make sure to kill them before they spawn many of those flaming fuckers.
-Revenants are my least favorite monster because of that powerful guided projectile.
-Hitscans are impossible to dodge, and I have to move a lot so the hitscanners miss-aim, therefore hitscanners (specially the chaingunners) are the fourth to die.
-Mancubus, Cacodemons and Arachnotrons have big hit boxes so the Super Shotgun still works fine at long distances.
-Cyberdemons and Spiderdemons are ironically in my lower priority because I often engage them to fight against other monsters.
-Demons and Spectres just corner me, which doesn't happen too often.
-Imps are generally pretty weak.
-Romero's head (only in joke wads, otherwise it goes higher) and Commander Keens.

Archies
Chingunners
PE (if large arena)
Mancs
hitscanners
Skellingtons
PE (if close quarters)/cacos/lost souls
HKs/Barons
Arachnotrons
Cyberdemon (let them do the damage)
Pinkies/spectres
imps

jmickle66666666 said:

i clear out hitscanners first, because i've got a chance of dodging other enemies' attacks. Archviles usually take precedence as well when they are around. The rest is usually dependent on the context.

Yup, hitscan priority is Chaingunner > Former Sergeant > Former Human