Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Bob Evans and the Odessa series

I just played Odessa14 for the first time ever a few days ago. Had no idea what I was missing! I'd love to play the remaining maps.

Bob, what was the source of that custom status bar in ODESSA_14, did you make it or find it elsewhere?

40oz said:

I just played Odessa14 for the first time ever a few days ago. Had no idea what I was missing! I'd love to play the remaining maps.

You can. They're on idgames now.

40oz said:

I've played up thru MAP11 so far and it's been a blast.

Played through all the currently released Odessa maps, and they're such a blast to play through. They've got the typical obtuse puzzles Bob Evans implemented in his two maps "Silures" and "Excalibur" in Eternal Doom, but thankfully, they are a little bit more manageable. Odessa_14 is still the most complex, coming as close to being Hexen-like with the setting and all. Bob Evans is one of my favourite old-school mappers, though I prefer Jim Flynn when it comes to humungous puzzle-centric maps.

Why is this not front page news yet?

Seriously, people have been searching for these for ages, it deserves the news spot.

I feel like I should give some update on this. I contacted Bob by email and did eventually get a reply from him. He's been dealing with some personal issues which, out of respect for his privacy, I won't go into here. He did tell me that he'd mail me a copy of the Compuserve CD although I don't yet have any timeline for when that might happen.

I have a couple of old Doom CDs not available on archive.org, and I'm pretty sure some of the Compuserve .wads people have mentioned are on them.

I'll try to have a look at them this weekend.

Alright NiGHTMARE we're dumping this on you now, you know :P

Maybe it's some kinda compucurse where everyone who has access to it mysteriously disappears.

It seems the CDs I was thinking of are at my parents' place, and I won't be over there 'til Wednesday.

As a consolation prize, I do have a couple of old PC Zone CDs with lots of Doom .wads on, and have found a bunch of '94 era Doom 2 levels which don't appear to be on /idgames. Here's the link: https://www.mediafire.com/?8jt6m1xb1ey0r6y

NiGHTMARE said:

As a consolation prize, I do have a couple of old PC Zone CDs with lots of Doom .wads on, and have found a bunch of '94 era Doom 2 levels which don't appear to be on /idgames.

57theast is on /idgames under the name 57east, and the /idgames version fixes two HOMs in this wad, so it is slightly newer. I found abyss through the author search on /idgames under the name d2maby. The WADs are the same size, so I assume there's no differences.

BOB,

Checking out Doomworld here for the first time in a couple of years and what a nice surprise to see you. I see I'm responding to a post more than a year old so I'm not sure you will see this. Always wondered what happed to you. Some of us tried to contact you many times. You asked if any eternal guys were around? Not really I think.

One guy I talked to said Sverre was around. I'm friends on facebook with Rich and Adam and talk to them now and then. Alex I'm still in touch with, and he's some big shot with World of Warcraft. Paul and DIA were back on board for Eternal 4 at the start but then just vanished one day and no word since. No word from Jim for many years.

Kind of figured my map building days were over but seeing you and all the good memories maybe could get me going again

Hope you see this. Would be great to catch up a bit after so long.

Down on the farm, Chris

ChrisC said:

Paul and DIA were back on board for Eternal 4 at the start but then just vanished one day and no word since.

DIA left a drive-by comment on my Eternal Doom review back in 2012, so he might still be thinking of Doom in some capacity

Xaser said:

So, when are we going to re-form Team TNT? :p

Cadman is here!

Xaser said:

So, when are we going to re-form Team TNT? :p

Suddenly, its a good thing your on both the Devilution and Revilution teams.

team TNT2 on top

I imagine Ty should give his blessing if that happened, although given the situation... :(