Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link

Demonologist said:

@ SteveD: Now it's just a routine task of trying to replicate actions you saw, right? I believe in you, you can do it!

@ Suitepee: Ribbiks' map is challenging, but also very short. But of course, all the maps from now on will feel like a breeze after mine. Forgive me. Please.

I actually found 3 Ways From Hell harder than your map overall, or at least as hard though of a different sort of difficulty. Once you've seen someone play through Ex Tenebris it does become considerably easier, and for a lot of the encounters most of the pressure lets off once you survive the initial push. I would never call it 'easy' but it goes from 'nightmarishly impossible' to 'hard but manageable'. 3WFH just felt like a constant struggle to survive while getting attacked on all fronts, and not run out of ammo. I very much liked it though, even though it's really too hard for me.

I agree that the Boom mapset it definitely the strongest, though there are certainly good maps in all 3 wads.

Suitepee said:

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/4102543 = part 3 of my playthrough. (covering maps 01-07 of the 'Boom' mapset)

The mixed bag feel of the project continues, but now slanting more towards the difficult side of things in this mapset....

Cannonball's opener initially seemed grossly unfair (but I wasn't expecting an easy ride from him!), but the strategy of clobbering Imps and not rushing around eventually paid off to a very nice slaughtermap. I somehow managed to bug out the final bit where the central "platform" didn't raise up fully to match the rest of the arena, but that was most likely because I'm running Boom compatible maps on GZDoom.

Sorry for not making the stream (Away for the whole weekend so there was no doom for me :P) which would have helped greatly in the end, mainly for the zdoom bug which causes the central platform to not raise fully which would have made the final fight much quicker and violent.

Regarding Joe Ilya's map - you missed a very obvious switch near the red key, I mean you walked right past it 3 times :P

@ The_Trigger: That's fine, minimalistic isn't bad as long as it's done thoughtfully, I didn't want to sound like basher. And having fun in process is always the main factor for both mapper and player. It's clearly seen that you've put some time and effort into your map and made it serious and decent, unlike some of the careless peeps around here who think that this project is some sort of a trash can where they can put some worthless and effortless garbage. It's pretty sad that the absence of stylistic restrictions makes them think that way instead of encouraging them to be competent and creative. Oh well.
On my map... Well, good luck I guess. If you found it enjoyable after John's vid - it'd be the guilty pleasure most likely, heh. I was thinking about lower difficulty setting, but it seems I'm not going anywhere with it thanks to my laziness. Sorry. I'm one of those pricks who plays anything on UV anyway.

@ plums: Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Those sentences you quoted are mostly ironic, in the end I actually agree with you about 3WFH. Still, ET can make a huge psychological impact on those who don't expect it, but once you get what you have to do and do it in cold blood - you realise there's nothing really frightening in there.
And yes, 3WFH is definitely a different kind of challenge, and it's far from being easy. I don't feel like comparing these two, but both are great time-eaters, that's for sure.

Demonologist said:

UAC: Unsettling Athletic Corporation[/b]
This one is... strange. I can't find the word that would suit it better. Pretty disturbing.

I certainly was going for a creepier feel with this map. Thank you for the review! :)

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/4125567 = part 4 of my playthrough. (covering maps 08-13 of the 'Boom' mapset)

And so the Boom mapset ends with some more tricky stuff, but nothing close to Demonologist's map, oh thank god no!

Exl & DooMAD's co-op map was alright, and I did like the rising platforms. Nothing particularly special nor frustrating about this map.
CorSair's map was awkward. Liked the idea, didn't like the execution so much. Was both a bit too easy and a bit too awkward for me somehow.
Memfis' map made for a nice panic low health playthrough, in a decent map.
Ribbiks' map was hell in a tight space! Didn't fully appreciate the Archvile use but otherwise enjoyed the map design, music choice and show of utter vile ambushing on display.
BloodyAcid did a nice tribute to Tricks & Traps.
And scifista42 ends this mapset with an intense instant-ambush fest set in space. That Baron/HK ending was also quite devious, you prick!

Overall I felt the Boom mapset contained a lot less jokemaps/crap maps and thus earns my slight nod of approval over the Vanilla/Limit-Removing mapset, despite not containing a map like dobu's in terms of fun. Demonologist's map was the highlight of the bunch by far.

Next up: ZDoom and UDMF fun.

Cheers for the feedback, will bare it in mind if I ever finish another map. During the testing phase we had people saying it was too hard, so we toned it down a bit. Looks like you definitely found a flaw with the dual-archie-teleport fight at the end, finding a safe-ish place to stand. That one was my bad, guess I made the central pillar in the room too big.

Suitepee said:

Demonologist's map was the highlight of the bunch by far.

Hah, thanks a lot! I thought you were going to disregard it for the sake of something more user-friendly, so I'm quite surprised.

Thanks for the playthrough Suitepee of my map Tuskmunday. The original premise is a game of luck through switch pressing via Tricks & Traps-esque type of gameplay. I sorta ran out of time making the individual rooms unique, hence the abundance of simple square rooms.

Was a cool stream, I watched my map and some other maps even though wasn't very interested in them. You seem to be able to play the game well enough while giving some fun commentary at the same time and even talking with ppl in chat. That's a cool thing.

I hope you find a way to incorporate the chat back on to the stream Suite, it's always nice if you miss catching it to see people watching comment on the maps.

Suitepee said:

CorSair's map was awkward. Liked the idea, didn't like the execution so much. Was both a bit too easy and a bit too awkward for me somehow.

That's what happens when this dude tried to speedmap. :P

dobu gabu maru said:

I hope you find a way to incorporate the chat back on to the stream Suite, it's always nice if you miss catching it to see people watching comment on the maps.

I will consider bringing back the chat window if I can make it look decent using OBS. I didn't realise people actually found it useful aside from being able to tell when messages were getting through the twitch delay!

Also thanks Memfis for the compliment!

My next stream of DMP2013 should happen sometime after the weekend.

I'm a little late, but...

Suitepee said:

whilst Hurricyclone's apparent obsession for underwater maps was revealed to me, although I did like the Pinky bumrush.

you'll be glad, or perhaps sad, to know I don't do this kind of theme anymore.

LOL @ law and order special doomguy unit. Also LOL at me never having a girlfriend in my entire life, including past present and future. No one loves me including me. I am drunk enough that typing my name and password was humorous, and even the word humorous looks pretty humorous. I have to type backspace a lot when typing this. Well that is my life, the life of doom, a gay game made by gay nazis because I am ostracized by the satanic world of flesh. Have a good life everyone. That will be pretty cool when I'm inside a grave with a mouth full of dirt because I won't be conscious. Consciousness is a curse and I envy inanimate things. I am an inanimate thing just... just... cursed with an illusion of an "I". Have a bad day. The movie "Audition" which I pirated because of artificial economic implosion by the criminals that run everything is the only movie that makes sense. Deeka deeka deeka deeka deeeeee! Ha ha ha ha ha! Deeka deeka deeka deeka deeeeee! Pain is the only truth. Ok, bye.

Demonologist said:

Incarnate[/b]
[B]Pretty average map, much like beginner's work, but still considerably better than these two 'mehs' above.

Thanks for the feedback, I've only made a few maps throughout my time with Doom Builder. Most of the maps I've made are nothing special and bland, but with Incarnate I decided to go with a more script based map than a simple run-of-the-mill type map. Glad to see people like it, thanks again.

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/4150387 = part 5 of my playthrough, covering maps 01-08 of the ZDoom/UDMF mapset.

This feels a lot like the vanilla/limit-removing mapset so far in terms of the diversity of map quality, but oh god that starting map...

I don't know what other stuff Du Mhan Yhu does in the Doom mapping community, but I'm certainly NOT keen on playing any more maps like this anytime soon! This was somehow actually more irritating than Scythe's final map for me; 3 Ways From Hell was a boring, annoying, repetitive, pain sector inconsistent piece of tricky shit of a map, which I spent 2 AND A HALF HOURS BEATING! Sorry Demonologist, this map for me has outdone yours for sheer difficulty, but not for fun or anything else. This map was clearly not meant to be played by normal players like myself, but I don't think that excuses this tedious & difficult grindfest, despite being well made otherwise. You certainly never felt safe for long periods of time due to Du Mhan Yhu having a lot of attack angles covered; too bad most of them by annoying Revenant placement among other things like harsh traps. I do not WANT to play another map like this ever again. I felt no satisfaction in finally beating this one.

Ed's map was visually interesting and somewhat slidey to navigate. Reminded me a bit of BF1943.
EndGameGamingMain's map was brief and D!Zone-esque as mrthejoshmon in the twitch chat described it. DeimosComaBlack would certainly have this map on his channel under CRAP Wads!
The_Trigger's map was decent enough, a simple KdizD-esque style map. Easy final Cyber fight mind.
Baratus' map was also brief, but alright.
I liked the music changes on Netherstorm's map, as well as the custom monster! Bonus points for also having a decent Cyberdemon ending fight.
Tarnsman's map was part of the "Xaser Stove Pipe Brigade", but despite being a jokemap was entertainingly doable. I need to work on my Tarnsman impression though...
ClonedPickle's map was also part of the same brigade, and also made for a humourous jokemap that was beatable. Especially liked that you had to press a certain German dictator's picture for exit door switches, even the fake exits!

I hope there will be no more '3 Ways From Hell' in the rest of my playthrough of the ZDoom/UDMF mapset, and hope for a decent map or two. Kate Stone's map sounds promising as a starter for next time...

I found Du Mhan Yhu's map to be mostly fun (although knowing about the ammo scarcity beforehand helped me to remain well stocked for the whole map). It had a lot of pleasing architecture and the layout of the leftmost arena was fantastic, although I will confess the map has its problems (like Suite I couldn't find the RL for a long time, I hated the use of "restocking" certain sniper spots with enemies, and I found some of its AV use to be childishly cruel [as they were often placed behind meaty barons]). But there was plenty of space to move around and backtrack however, so I found it a lot less punishing then Demonologists' map (although perhaps more sadistic with its traps).

Just want to say too that out of all three sets I definitely had the most fun with cannonball's map—it was quick, bloody, tense without being grueling and had a suitable amount of space. Props to Exl and DooMAD for their clever map too, that one had me floored with the stair usage.

Despite having said several times how much I liked 3WFH, I'm not even sure that "fun" is the best word for it. Mostly I'm impressed by how constantly oppressive it stays, while never feeling unbeatable or like a jokemap. I also really did like the architecture/layout/visuals.

Yeah, perhaps fun is a loose word to describe it since it does become pretty grueling by the end. "Entertaining" is a better way to describe it, the same way you can be entertained by something unorthodox or terrifying.

I saw your play through of maps 01-08 of the zdoom set, John. Great stream! I can't wait for you to get to my map. :)

obake said:

Worst maps: Twilight of the Gods and Dripping Oven Oil from Your Third Arm, by Ed and ClonedPickle, respectively.

I made a mistake saying "Twilight of the Gods" was one of the worst maps of the set.

When I played it, there were no slopes (meaning it was impossible to navigate the map without cheats!) I assumed that was how it was built. I must have had something wrong on my part (compatibility issues, probably)

In its place, I put either "Millitary Enterance" or "The Adventures of Pope Steve" as the other worst map of the set.

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/4176601 = final part of my playthrough. (covering maps 09-20 of the ZDoom/UDMF mapset)

And so my time on this project ends with a "WTF?!" and the feeling that this mapset was generally the weakest of the three.

Kate Stone's puzzle/jokemap was genuinely amusing, with good music playing throughout.
Scypek2's map was as weird as I would expect, even throwing in a screenshot reference to 100th Wave at one point. (YES I HAVE PLAYED IT!) Carried on a little bit too long though, but did like the Monochrome Mapping Project tribute.
Walter's map had music which became annoying after 5 minutes, otherwise meh jokemap.
Ijon Tichy's map seems clearly designed for multiplayer, since I could exit the level immediately otherwise. No real comment on this one.
Phendrena's map was the highlight of this mapset for me, with some good architecture, nice gameplay flow and some cool map adjustments at the end. Good job bringing in some quality!
Eradrop's map (I played the patched version) was also quite good, if not a bit annoying with (predictable) Revenant usage at times. Loved the hellscape feel of the level throughout. Second favourite of the mapset.
ShadesMaster had a brief map blighted by that annoying chaingunner/radiation bit, and having a weirdly placed vine early on.
Obake's map was PSX-Doom atmospheric, and at one point managed to achieve the rare feat of making me feel a bit spooked at Doom. Loved the lighting and atmosphere, gameplay was alright.
Jazzmaster9's map was brief and good, aside from that Hell Knight trap.
Mrthejoshmon claimed his map had plenty of "dick moves" in it, but I found it reasonable and entertaining. Good green/blue lighting early on.
BaronofStuff made a good symmetrical slaughtermap, which hit the balance nicely of being challenging yet fair and fun to play. No 3 Ways From Hell bullshit here!
And finally TimeofDeath. Obnoxiously making the player swim down a sinkhole to re-emerge on barely any health for an eventual triple Archvile fight with minimal cover after a bit, and an ear-rape of an ending. Thank god I'm aware ToD is a good UV-Max speedrunner and maker of hard maps, otherwise without knowing the mapper I'd have called him as being like a "Terrywad mapper"! Nice idea though for the map, and good representing visuals.

Best map of DMP2013: Dobu gabu maru's "The Manifold Fever". (second- Demonologist, third- Phendrena)
Worst map of DMP2013: Du Mhan Yhu's "3 Ways From Hell." (second- Joe ilya, third- C30N9)
Overall opinion on DMP2013: A mixed bag that needed to contain more of the GOOD stuff. Could DMP2014 please have a bit more quality control whilst keeping the solid variety of stuff on display.

Suitepee said:

Walter's map had music which became annoying after 5 minutes, otherwise meh jokemap.

Talking about that map, the music had to be rendered in that way (yeah, i know that the full tune will be better) due to the file size limit in the project (1 mb for music files or something like that)...

anyway is based all from this he-man viral youtube video...

Suitepee said:
Ijon Tichy's map seems clearly designed for multiplayer, since I could exit the level immediately otherwise. No real comment on this one.

No comments at all? It was meant to be something like Robotron 2084 in Doom; infinite waves of dudes, no way to win, just get the score as high as possible before dying.

It fails pretty hard on Zandronum online because, uh... netcode? I dunno! I tried to cut back on server->client communication as much as possible, and it still went pretty badly.

ACS /really/ needs a monster death script type.

The ear rape at the end was unintentional because I play with no sound, my mistake. Pressing the swim up/down keys lets you go up and down much faster.