Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Can you believe that Doom 3 is over 10 years old?

It's amazing if you think about it. 11 years passed between the original Doom and Doom 3, and not it appears that the same amount of time will pass between Doom 3 and the new Doom and perhaps even more.

I feel old :(

I also think it is very impressive how well the graphics hold up in spite of the game's age.

doomgargoyle said:

The models look kinda crappy these days, but with sikkmod doom3 looks better.

The human models never looked good to beginn with, but almost everything else still looks very good.

Ahh so many great Doom 3 memories....

Me and my friends were always stunned by the insane amount of detail id put into the environment. The thick, heavy shadows still look unique to this day. Quite honestly, Doom 3 had one the best atmospheres of any game I've ever played. The original PC version with headphones on and the lights out created a tense, psychological horror experience that still stands strong 10 years later - much like FEAR.

doomgargoyle said:

The models look kinda crappy these days, but with sikkmod doom3 looks better.

The textures were even worse with their blurriness, good thing I have perfected Doom 3 mod.

Perfected Doom 3/Sikkmod + Headphones + Dark Room = The real Doom 3 experience.

I agree about Doom 3 having had a great atmosphere. I hope Id won't completely throw out the scary atmosphere of Doom 3 in the new Doom, even if it is going to be faster paced like the old Doom's.

i replayed Doom 3 some days ago and couldn't get past the introduction level cuz it was boring me out. game hasn't aged all that well, it seems.

I could never really get into Sikkmod. It used the "shiny = better" approach to visuals, resulting in the entire game world looking like it had a layer of cooking oil sprayed all over it. Bloom also doesn't look realistic unless it's applied to, say, gleaming chrome outside at noon. Applying it to anything bright--even DoomGuy's hands--just made it seem like DoomGuy had just woken up and his eyes were still blurry. And the HDR effects weren't especially noticeable since most of Doom 3 is so dark.

But yes, Doom 3 was perhaps the last game with truly revolutionary visuals, and the lighting effects, though limited in certain respects, were quite good at what they did.

I also agree that the graphics mods resulted in some awkwardness that is supposedly an upgrade, but is really just unnecessary, with a few legit enhancements thrown in. The high res textures were more professionally crafted however, when compared to HD Doom/Doom 2. Doom 3 still looks pretty good, angular models aside and blurriness aside. It's held up extraordinarily well compared to a lot of other games from a decade ago.

I still love replaying Doom 3 from time to time, of course though the game does look dated compared to games today (game models looking kind of 'plastic' in a way). I still love when you travel to Hell for a part of the game, can't get enough of it.

Netherstorm said:

I still love replaying Doom 3 from time to time, of course though the game does look dated compared to games today (game models looking kind of 'plastic' in a way). I still love when you travel to Hell for a part of the game, can't get enough of it.

Too bad Hell made up such a small percentage of the game though (unlike Doom 1+2 where 1/3 of all levels were in Hell.)