Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Wolfenstein: The New Order annouced

I'm very curious what you guys think about the trailer.

I thought it looked and felt a lot like Bioshock...only with good guns. I also really liked that you could choose your own path, the level felt sandboxy. As we all know, far too few games do this nowadays.

Oh, and am I the only one who thought the level felt like the Norway level from RTCW? I am so excited about this! I really hope it doesn't suck, it would break my heart.

It looks dumb for all the obvious reasons. Looks like quake 4 with a ZDoom weapon mod attached to it and borrowed ideas from other shooters etc. Very easily disposable. Don't expect it to suck. But at the same time, don't expect it to be the game you'll be playing for the next ten years or remember anything about after a few months or so.

It is unlikely it will have the same impact as Doom or the original Wolf but I hope it will be a worthy game in its own right that will compell me to finish it at least three times. Moreover, I hope that this game will be successful and good enough to show the industry that old school revivals don't have to be stupid or intentionally bad just because they are so "old school". It has atmosphere, charm, a pulpy Wolf3D atmosphere but modernized, secret hunting, alternative paths, awesome and crazy weapons. Basically all an Id game really needs. How well they execute this remains to be seen but from what I've seen this game knows exactly what it is.

EDIT: What exactly would a perfect Wolfenstein sequel be to you 40oz?

P.S Wolfenstein is supposed to be dumb I mean Mecha Hitler, eating dog food? Picking nazi gold? Nazi zombies with machine guns out of their chests?

IMO the part that defines Wolfenstein for me is just "First Person Shooter against Nazi". All the parts about crazy technology or supernatural are gratuitous additions. Most of Wolf3D was just you against normal Nazis, and the bosses were officers or tough-guys of sorts

Clonehunter said:

Mecha Hitler better be in the game this time. Or at least Mecha Himmler after his RcTW appearance.

I bet we will be facing hitler clones in this game!

The devs are also hinting that we are going to Mars. Would be cool if at the end of the game you have to go to Mars to stop the Nazi teleportation research facility called UAC from using teleportation technology. You find out that the Nazis had been experimenting on demons, inserting cybernetic parts on them in order to control them. When you get there, a huge demonic army pours from the portal. The battle goes badly but you kill the final boss, a Cyberdemon but lose a leg in the process. You wake up with Anya greeting you. You find out that one of your legs has been replaced with a cybernetic replacement. As you want to test out your new legs you take a walk to one of the windows only to find out that a great host of demons is pouring out of the sky and thus the game ends with a cliffhanger, leading to Doom 4.

printz said:

IMO the part that defines Wolfenstein for me is just "First Person Shooter against Nazi". All the parts about crazy technology or supernatural are gratuitous additions. Most of Wolf3D was just you against normal Nazis, and the bosses were officers or tough-guys of sorts

It could've been influenced by Spear of Destiny, which added upon Mutants and Mecha Hitler. That game had more mutants, a giant four-arm mutant, an Uber Nazi in armor decked with miniguns and rocket launchers (Possibly where the mega Nazi Death Soldiers came from in RtCW and Wolf2k9), and a trip to Hell to fight Ghosts and the Angel of Death. The Lost Missions also had giant bats.

Phobus said:

I don't pay to beta test companies games for them. They should be paying us or making it free.

This. Also, why would you ruin the game by voluntarily play an unfinished product instead of waiting for it to be finished?

DooM_RO said:

Because I can't wait anymore. Id has been cockteasing us for 6 years.

Neither can I. And I swear, if the beta gets cancelled for whatever reason...

Monstrous system requirements:

64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8
Intel Core i7 or equivalent AMD
4 GB System RAM
50 GB free HDD space
GeForce 460, ATI Radeon HD 6850
High Speed Internet Connection
Steam account and activation required

Bethesda said:

The system requirements are based on the game being a next-gen experience running at 60fps. These are the system requirements to deliver the PC game as it was intended to be experienced.

Jodwin said:

why would you ruin the game by voluntarily play an unfinished product instead of waiting for it to be finished?

How would playing the beta ruin the finished game? I didn't find original Doom being ruined for me when I played the beta then, it only got me even more interested. Same goes for other things like leaks and alphas.

Unless you mean being spolied by seeing what'll look like or learning about features? but that'll be pretty hard to avoid anyway, beta aside, given all the trailers, previews and other posts that'll get made approaching release.

I for one am happy to see what they've come up and play it first hand, and it's really not that much cash to cry about given it's the latest release of Doom - something we've all been waiting for for years.

Clonehunter said:

Why

Because it's a game using the Steam platform and API? You know, the thing that 99% of games released these days use for achievements/leaderboards/multiplayer and digital distribution?

Edward850 said:

Because it's a game using the Steam platform and API? You know, the thing that 99% of games released these days use for achievements/leaderboards/multiplayer and digital distribution?

Compulsory steam = no buy.

doomgargoyle said:

50 GB HDD space? Holy fuck!

Did people kind of forget how big RAGE was?

doomgargoyle said:

Compulsory steam = no buy.

Good for you. You are a big man now. Such a rebel. This is such a realistic viewpoint for 2014 onwards.

Edward850 said:

Many users on here have openly voiced their dislike/hate for Steam, hence you should take these statements with a grain of salt and as evidence of their opinion on the matter. From what I can tell you attacked doomgargoyle simply because he stated he won't buy it because it would require Steam. Why you wouldn't just ask him about that instead of blatantly trying to demean him like he was calling you bad names in the first place?

And how is that not a realistic viewpoint? Steam isn't the only platform for buying/playing games and definitely won't be the sole platform down the road, so how is it unrealistic for him to say that he won't use it?

Kirby said:

And how is that not a realistic viewpoint? Steam isn't the only platform for buying/playing games and definitely won't be the sole platform down the road, so how is it unrealistic for him to say that he won't use it?

It's at-least 50% of the PC gaming market, and it certainly isn't going to vanish over night. It's an unrealistic thing to ignore or reject to when things are only going to get more "digitally orientated" in the future. It's only going to grow, so ignoring it isn't going to make it vanish over night.

Edward850 said:

It's still overly big for any of my hard drives. Even if I had space, it would take half a day or more to decompress and copy that crap. 4 GB of RAM is also hungry. I guess that they don't know when to stop, and if computers become more capable, programs are going to use up all the space, efficiency be damned, consumers should be having $$$ anyway.

Personally I hate being behind, but on the other hand, buying a new high-end computer just to play games feels unjustified.

The requirements are nothing special. Any proper gaming PC bought in the last 2 years has them covered.

Belial said:

The requirements are nothing special. Any proper gaming PC bought in the last 2 years has them covered.

My computers have a longer life time than 2 years.

I guess, space-wise, that buying a 2+ TB hard disk is the only way (especially if you have to divide it between Windows and Linux). A SSD would be too small.

Without upgrading my CPU: does it work on Core 2 Quad?

Edward850 said:

Good for you. You are a big man now. Such a rebel. This is such a realistic viewpoint for 2014 onwards.

I only buy my digital games through GOG.com Screw steam.

doomgargoyle said:

I only buy my digital games through GOG.com Screw steam.

Okay. And your reason is?

Value actually managed to get things right with Steam and people are still complaining, go figure. I hate DRM as much as the next one but Steam is a good thing for gaming.

And don't make the mistake of comparing GOG with Steam, they're not the same thing.

i had problems with Steam waaaaay back when it was new. bouncing back to it several years later and bloody hell, it's actually pretty reasonably usable now. though, i suppose it's not much use for people with shitty internet connections.

Ossi said:

Value actually managed to get things right with Steam and people are still complaining, go figure. I hate DRM as much as the next one but Steam is a good thing for gaming.

And don't make the mistake of comparing GOG with Steam, they're not the same thing.

I guess most naysayers here have been influenced by Enjay's long tirades, possibly when Steam was newer. He was complaining of things like Steam runnings continuously and consuming power. I don't know whether the general hate toned down thanks to Valve optimizing Steam, or Steam becoming real common; what do you say?

Edward850 said:

Okay. And your reason is?

1. Completely DRM-free games.

2. One price for all. No regional pricing bull.

3. No region locking bull.

4. No 1$=1€ bull.

Those are the main reasons why I buy on gog.com instead of steam.