Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Delet

((Actually)Vanilla) opening a door on monster death

EDIT 2: Fixed! I got rid of the ceiling decorations and replaced them with a pound sign pattern floor (the sector to be raised) and lowered the ceilings in between the pound pattern. The floor is blocked until the monster dies, the dummy sector is large enough for a monster to teleport out of, and the target monster can move around as much as it wants (as long as it is under a sky texture). Tested and working in Chocolate Doom.

OLD EDIT, ignore: This actually does not work in Vanilla Doom because of infinitely tall actors. It is Boom compatible, with the flag "Walk under solid hanging bodies" turned on. (All the way at the end of General Options.)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2kdlj6e9hr6jn44/mdd.wad

This is a quick example of opening a door when a monster is killed in vanilla. I got the idea and the steps from one of scifista's posts, but looking at his map, the exact method he used could only be reproduced with a cyberdemon. This left me with three options: Use a cyberdemon, modify a monster's height with DeHackEd, or use ceiling decorations. I didn't want to use a cyberdemon and DeHackEd would "break" any monster I used by making it too tall to fit under low ceilings. The ceiling decoration method is not beautiful, but I think it should be possible (and less game-breaking) to make invisible decorations with DeHackEd.

The way it works is a Raise Floor action is triggered on the sector the target monster is in and a joined dummy sector containing a dummy monster. The target monster needs to be block the floor from going anywhere, stalling the action until the monster dies. Once the target monster is killed, the floors are raised and the dummy monster can teleport to a DR Monster door (joined to the target door), which it will open, and then be teleported again to a third dummy sector /under/ a third door (joined to the other 2 doors). The dummy monster then blocks the target door from closing. Through the door is a line which activates a crusher which kills the dummy monster, and the door (which will then close, so be careful to not run under it after the monster is crushed) is usable from the other side.

Agreed with Mouldy, but aren't actors in vanilla infinitely tall? It'd be impossible for the Baron to even move in source ports with infinitely tall actors. :/

Ah, you may be right. This should then at least be Boom compatible, and there is always the DeHackEd method.

Cunning, clever, ingenious... and exactly why I love ports with scripting. :P

Uhh, did you even test it? I shoot once, pick up the SSG and the door opens?
edit: oh, I'm too late

tomocean22 said:

It is Boom compatible, with the flag "Walk under solid hanging bodies" turned on. (All the way at the end of General Options.)

I personally don't find it an ideal solution at all, as infinitely tall actors are default behaviour even in (Pr)Boom, and I'd prefer clearer solutions than to bother player with extra instructions to change default settings.

I got the idea and the steps from one of scifista's posts, but looking at his map, the exact method he used could only be reproduced with a cyberdemon.

How did you come to that conclusion? If you looked at the map (MAP19 of D2INO), the trick is used in three (or four) different places there, once with just arachnotrons and a dummy spectre or pinky demon. All you need is to set the sectors height low enough, as low as the monster's height is. I achieved so thanks to sky ceilings, which don't display like standard ceilings. Barons, HKs, Mancubi and Arachnotrons have height 64, Cyber has 110, Spiderdemon 100, Keen has 72 I think, the others are 56.

I'm glad my idea could have been inspiring for you. :)

Unless I'm missing something using a monster with a smaller height means the joined dummy sector will be too low in height for the dummy monster to be able to step up through a teleport line.

I'm going to re-examine your map when I get home today.

I suppose a self-referencing ceiling might work, but then you have the problem of the monster not waking up unless it's damaged. Although if it teleports in you can sidestep that problem. Ideas, ideas!

Check Edit 2, I fixed the mockup. At one point I did try using a 3D bridge type of ceiling, but it behaved strangely and didn't block the floor or the monster at all.

AFAIK scifista's entry in D2INO is the first time I've seen it done. It would be awesome to see this used more in vanilla mapping.