Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Full list of Doom clones/similar games?

How about Descent, Descent II, and Radix? You may be piloting a spaceship, it feels a lot more like an FPS than like a flight sim. Radix is even in 2.5D!

Krispy said:

Was exploding lips made after doom?

Yes, in 1999.

RTC_Marine said:
PC: Realms of the haunting [/B]

Great game. It had an intense atmosphere.

Cybermage: Darklight Awakening, as it is called completely, is another forgotten gem.

There was Killing Time for PC, Mac and 3DO, while the PC an Mac versions use an Engine which look like an early Build, the 3DO uses an completely new, and the game differs as well.

Is it worth noting that Powerslave on the Saturn/PS1 is a completely different (and apparently much better) game than its PC namesake? Same graphical assets and some of the same sound effects, but the console game's more of a Metroidvania than the PC game is.

Ironically, the PC version also has a "console-ism" that the actual console versions don't: lives. Run out, and it's game over. Console version has no such counter, you just have to start the entire stage over in the event of your death, not unlike Doom or Quake (although without being forced into a pistol start, since, y'know, that'd go against the whole "Metroidvania" thing).

Getting back to games that hadn't been brought up yet, there's H.U.R.L., too. It's... not any good, really.

Also Cyberdillo, I guess. Similarly kinda garbage.

Gez said:

How about Descent, Descent II, and Radix? You may be piloting a spaceship, it feels a lot more like an FPS than like a flight sim. Radix is even in 2.5D!

If those count, so should Necrodome, where you drive a car (an armored, tricked out for combat car...) but which otherwise feels more FPS-ish than like your usual driving game (plus you can get out and walk on foot but that's a good way to get killed if you can avoid it)

There's also CyClones, which used an orthogonal engine but one with some nice enhancements (like better ROR functionality than the way ROTT did it).

mrthejoshmon said:

Extreme Paintbrawl...

That's assuming it can even be considered a game.

If that's the case, WWII G.I. and NAM deserve mentions if they haven't already.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

If those count, so should Necrodome, where you drive a car (an armored, tricked out for combat car...) but which otherwise feels more FPS-ish than like your usual driving game (plus you can get out and walk on foot but that's a good way to get killed if you can avoid it)

There's also CyClones, which used an orthogonal engine but one with some nice enhancements (like better ROR functionality than the way ROTT did it).

I just looked up Necrodome, it looks quite fun. It looks less doomlike than other games, but it does still feel kinda Doomy

System Shock was mentioned. I must protest any attempt to mark it as a Doom clone. SysShock is way too different conceptually and resembles oldschool RPGs much more with heavy inventory usage and environment interaction. It is logical, because the game is a descendand of Ultima Underworld I & II, further improving their engine. That's the same engine that predates Doom, Carmack acknowledges his heavy inspiration by it, and it still beats Doom in many technical aspects like slopes, vertical look and jumping. UUs and SysShock are proud competitors, not run of the mill clones or derivatives.

dew said:

That's the same engine that predates Doom, Carmack acknowledges his heavy inspiration by it, and it still beats Doom in many technical aspects like slopes, vertical look and jumping.

And 3d bridges. Was it even 2.5d? Anyway, the engine is obviously more complex, but was also noticeable slower than Doom on a 486.

Thanks for all the games, updated the OP yet again. Don't forget to let us know what system the game is on! :)

I'm not sure why Terminator: Future Shock is in "PC Games" while "Terminator: SkyNET" (Future Shock's sequel) is in "DOS Games".

I'm also not sure why there is a difference between DOS games and PC games, given that all DOS games are PC games. Maybe you meant to distinguish between DOS games and Windows games?

It would make more sense to differentiate 2.5d and full 3d games instead, imo.

dew said:

It would make more sense to differentiate 2.5d and full 3d games instead, imo.

Once I mentioned something like that in a thread asking for games like Quake on the ZDoom forums, people thought I was being facetious. :P

Gez said:

I'm not sure why Terminator: Future Shock is in "PC Games" while "Terminator: SkyNET" (Future Shock's sequel) is in "DOS Games"

I had never heard of these games until now, it was a slip up. I'll move Future Shock into the DOS section.

All DOS games are PC games, but not all PC games are DOS games, that's why I'm differentiating between the two. Lumping them all in one category wouldn't provide any clarity in terms of actually running the game. I guess the Windows label makes sense to a degree, however I'm not sure which of those titles are Windows specific, I'd venture at least a few of them run on Linux and other operating systems as well, though I'm not positive. So, long story short, PC games are "Computer games that aren't designed for DOS".

@dew, I agree it is worth noting if a game is full 3D, especially for a list using Doom as a benchmark. When I actually know which games on this list are 3D, I'll make note of it - If you guys can point out ones on the list you already know to be 3D, that'd be swell.

StevieCybernetik said:

Chasm: The Rift hasn't been mentioned yet for some reason.

I'd consider that to be more of a Quake clone, despite Wolf3D level design (With added models to give the illusion of height variation). It was nicknamed Poor Man's Doom, mind you.

Clonehunter said:

I'd consider that to be more of a Quake clone, despite Wolf3D level design (With added models to give the illusion of height variation). It was nicknamed Poor Man's Doom, mind you.

But Chasm had some really nice ideas. You could seperate arms with well placed shots. And there was that boss which your weapons couldn't hurt, where you have to lure him into a fan.

Hmm, I'm wondering if Quake clones are close enough to be in this list? Although perhaps that's a little too advanced. I'll definitely have to check it out though, sounds badass!

Wrack is certainly a Doom clone, and a great one at that - Carnevil has done an amazing job with it, but I think it might be a bit too newschool to be fairly grouped in here.

What about Harmony, Foreverhood or Soulcrusher (for GZDoom)?

Shadowcaster, if your going to include Ultima Underworld you might as include this since it even uses a hybrid Wolf-Doom engine.

Plus here are some links to The History of FPS Games on youtube, I'm sure you will find lots more there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x9FkbLwO0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GL-1MqhkEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUBSqt4OlFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvvuD3N5344
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9VlfGb9yfc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDgDr-Hc9c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoGG6-837dk

Ooh, thank you Jaws, I'll check those videos out.

@Zed: Are all 3 of those Doom mods? Unless they can run without doom.wad/doom2.wad, I probably won't group them in here, since they aren't techinicaly their own games. Though I've never heard of them, I'll have to check them out, so thanks a lot for the suggestions!

This thread has been really useful for me, I now have hundreds of hours of 'new' gaming to experience. :D

Harmony is recognized as an IWAD by ZDoom/GZDoom. Foreverhood isn't (or I'm doing something wrong), but I'm pretty sure it runs on its own too. About Soulcrusher, in the project's thread (in the ZDoom forums), Alterworldruler said that the idea was/is to make it an IWAD too, but I don't know if it's indeed the case (been a while since I played it).

If we're including stand-alone Doom mods, there's also the two Action Doom games.

Jungle Legend for Windows (1999) - a malodorous elephant turd of a game that's best avoided.

cybdmn said:

But Chasm had some really nice ideas. You could seperate arms with well placed shots. And there was that boss which your weapons couldn't hurt, where you have to lure him into a fan.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it mattered where you shot the enemies, they just came apart when they were hurt enough.

And all the bosses were puzzle bosses, not just the fan one. Not sure I'd consider that a good thing.

GreyGhost said:

If we're including stand-alone Doom mods, there's also the two Action Doom games.

If I'm not mistaken, only Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl counts as an IWAD, the first Action Doom requires Doom2.wad, and Dead of Winter and the Bonus Content both need Urban Brawl to run, so I think only Action Doom 2 counts as a stand-alone game.

And talking about stand-alone games, I think The Adventures of Square, by Jimmy, also runs on its own.

And after a quick search/read, it seems that Soulcrusher still requires a Doom2.wad, so I think it doesn't count.

Amulets & Armor (a DOS game) has a DOOM-like renderer, even uses WAD files, but the gameplay is RPG-ish.