Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ty Halderman

Archive cleanup

Obsidian said:

It's not anti-Terry, it's that one guy who got banned a few days ago being an idiot. There's a swarm of 5-star ratings on it to testify that: very similar to what they used to do with Terrywads to draw people in. It's not a wad, it's a pointless argument waiting to happen.

Now you're getting hypocrite. Quality ain't no criterion, isn't it?

It's no so much the quality as it is that they're trying to use the archives as a soapbox where they can spout their petty bullshit: the wad doesn't really have anything to do with it. Although it doesn't help that the wad is literally 1kb.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? Trying to get this deleted is just giving them more attention. Just as long as they don't make a habit of this sort of thing I think I can ignore it.

Just a single page back you were defending precisely what you condemn now. Starting to cherrypick? I'm really starting to dislike where this is heading now.

is just giving them more attention.

This phrase at this point is utterly meaningless.

Hm? You lost me there mang.

Whatever. I'm probably letting this stuff get to me a bit much, which is exactly what they want. You're right, I shouldn't cherrypick. Sorry about that.

I see where he's coming from, he just wants an archive for on old, not-insanely-popular game to be sorta inviting rather than repulsing. If a newcomer clicks a terrywad for their first download by random chance, they're likely to take a step back from the whole "playing Doom WADs" thing. The things is, if someone that easily swayed away from playing WADs, they don't really need to be browsing the archives in the first place. I don't think he's getting a 'hate boner' or anything from it though.

Obsidian said:

It's not anti-Terry

But it looks anti-Terry when observed from certain angles, which is moderately funny.

Ty Halderman said:

Unfortunate that id used the same ExMx nomenclature for Heretic as Doom 1. We did have several Heretic wads that were moved over the weekend: azure, castle2, castle9, dietryin, haretick, nuts. Feel free to let me know if you find more.

I've confirmed that levels/doom/deathmatch/d-f/finaldth.zip is also a Heretic WAD (for deathmatch).

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I've confirmed that levels/doom/deathmatch/d-f/finaldth.zip is also a Heretic WAD (for deathmatch).

Thanks. Moved.

I think it would be a good idea to reject this wad since it has modified Doom maps and it's usually illegal to modify id Software levels.

Wow, you're not kidding... not even any level changes.

I'm sure it's all over the planet by now, being 9 years since upload, but it's rejected now.

Interestingly--I think all this furor causing cleanup has brought the community some good vibes. I'm getting posts, PMs, and emails helping me track down problems. Thanks to you and all who are getting/staying involved.

This could be deleted: levels/doom2/j-l/lairgfx.zip

It's part of the old version of The Lair by Mike Cobb, which contains unmodified id graphics. It was legalized and reuploaded by Sparky of KISS Software here.

Stephen312 said:

I think it would be a good idea to reject this wad since it has modified Doom maps and it's usually illegal to modify id Software levels.

Ty Halderman said:

but it's rejected now.

Ehm, it can still be downloaded from doomworld.com/idgames. Does a certain ammount of time has to pass before it becomes unavailable?

The file is no longer in the archives. I can't speak to what happens with mirrors--they usually don't delete files automatically so may require a manual update.

From the actual place where the files are, not some mirror or database like DW has:

gd impy
1996/03/09       1831  graphics/impyimp.txt
1996/03/09     107900  graphics/impyimp.zip
1998/06/19       1624  levels/doom2/deathmatch/g-i/gimpy1.txt
1998/06/19      26510  levels/doom2/deathmatch/g-i/gimpy1.zip
2004/06/22       4589  levels/heretic/v-z/wimpy_x.txt
2004/06/22     142270  levels/heretic/v-z/wimpy_x.zip
It's just not there anymore.

=-Ty

Yet one more Heretic level that was filed with the Doom levels:
levels/doom/a-c/camelot.zip

Also, there are a bunch of Heretic WADs that are already in the Heretic directory, but should further be in the Ports subdirectory:
levels/heretic/a-c/burialgr.zip
levels/heretic/d-f/darkmtn2.zip
levels/heretic/m-o/moc11.zip
levels/heretic/m-o/njhthief.zip
levels/heretic/p-r/reclaim.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/serpents.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/shforest.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/torture.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/tofpain.zip

Mad Butcher said:

This could be deleted: levels/doom2/j-l/lairgfx.zip

It's part of the old version of The Lair by Mike Cobb, which contains unmodified id graphics. It was legalized and reuploaded by Sparky of KISS Software here.

Removed.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Yet one more Heretic level that was filed with the Doom levels:
levels/doom/a-c/camelot.zip

Also, there are a bunch of Heretic WADs that are already in the Heretic directory, but should further be in the Ports subdirectory:
levels/heretic/a-c/burialgr.zip
levels/heretic/d-f/darkmtn2.zip
levels/heretic/m-o/moc11.zip
levels/heretic/m-o/njhthief.zip
levels/heretic/p-r/reclaim.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/serpents.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/shforest.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/torture.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/tofpain.zip

I'll have to take your word for it on moc11--I can't find anything in the text file saying it needs a port but obviously you've played it and know.

Anyway, all moved, and thanks to all as usual.

I think someone had a good idea about a more-general Themes category called Trollwads -- that could include /Terrywads and /other as needed, thus none of the obviously =intentional= crapola need be dumped on honest players.

xnv said:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/cavbld.zip
It's a Terrywad. I don't know how to trigget that sequence but it's there.

What is "that sequence" you speak of? I don't see any graphics or sounds or scripting that would classify it as a Terrywad. The HUNTSEE sound is shocking but that's likely to do with how creepy the atmosphere is in the first place (I did play through it for a while).

I do wish the original SCRIPTS lump had been retained instead of only the compiled BEHAVIOR, which listacs doesn't care much for. If you or someone else can give me specifics, I would be willing to move it, but it certainly doesn't seem like a Terrywad, regardless of anything else it does. There are some specific characteristics of Terrywads, and this doesn't have 'em.

Ty Halderman said:

What is "that sequence" you speak of?

It's VERY random and shows a short cutscene in that big outer room. I'll try to record it but I don't know if I can get it (it took me about 30-60 minutes and few playthrougs). Also, I asked about decompiling ACS lump in the #zdoom and it seems to be obfuscated.

Edit: well, I have no clue how to activate it. K.

Edit:
puke 20
puke 22

Just export the BEHAVIOR lump and open it in Notepad: it's kind of messy, but you can easily discern whether or not it's a Terrywad.

printz said:

This zip (idgames/levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/v-z/whereami.zip) has no content other than a text file.

Interesting. Only 8 years old too...

I've emailed the author on the off chance his email is still valid and that he can even find the wad at this point. I'll give him a week and then reject it if I don't hear from him (or the email bounces). Thanks for the note.

I'd just like to break the flow of this thread to say that Ty has been doing so much. It's amazing. Thank you, Ty.

Should there not be a "Play at your own risk" type warning at the top of the /idgames/ interface page for themes/terrywads as well? I know going directly to gamers.org's page does.

Mr. Chris said:

Should there not be a "Play at your own risk" type warning at the top of the /idgames/ interface page for themes/terrywads as well? I know going directly to gamers.org's page does.

Actually each directory has a .message file in it (which is what you see when you go to the archive itself) which could probably be reflected in the index here.

Ty Halderman said:I can understand people not wanting terrywads to show up in newstuff either, but that's the balance I've struck for this issue, which hopefully will soon quiet down.

Can /newstuff have subdirectories?

Oh, and here's a never-ending bottle of your fave beer for all the years of effort, without which the archive may not have survived.

[Not at all looking forward to cleaning up my own mirror, which does absolutely nothing automagically... eeep!!]

Ty Halderman said:

Interesting. Only 8 years old too...

I've emailed the author on the off chance his email is still valid and that he can even find the wad at this point. I'll give him a week and then reject it if I don't hear from him (or the email bounces). Thanks for the note.

He has contributed some legitimate wads too, and has briefly posted here (his email address has his Doomworld user name in it), so hopefully he can be reached.

Yet another step...

Rez made a good point about somehow segregating the Terrywads in newstuff because let's face it, that's where people go often to get new things and there isn't any identification in the text file to warn them. So...

For any zips that are Terrywads (determined by the fact that I've moved them into the themes/terrywads directory), an additional file is now created in newstuff with the same timestamp as the txt and zip files. This file is called [filename].terrywad.txt and contains a subset of the .message file in themes/terrywads with some appropriate warning language in it.

Example of the most recently uploaded Terrywad:

2884 May 31 04:16 xbrood2.txt
 909409 May 31 04:16 xbrood2.zip
    572 May 31 04:16 xbrood2.terrywad.txt
This file is readable when clicked on (like any other txt file). Not sure if that's going to do anything here on DoomWorld; that's not up to me.