Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

First-try Demo Contest #13

Wow I did really bad on this one, like super bad. But at least I completed it. :) I didn't bother to calculate the time. Should I do it myself?

Don't worry, I'm doing all the calculating. Will take some time but thanks to Opulent's awesome tool it's pretty simple to do.

Processed more than half of the demos already, maybe will be done in some 30 minutes but can't promise anything.

Here are the results!

Congratulations to the winners and especially to Demonologist - outstanding performance!
Thanks a lot to all participants, to Eternal for the wad provided and especially to Opulent for making an excellent tool for demo analysis.
DOWNLOAD the archive with all demos and more detailed information.

So, what did you think about this contest and the wad? Did you like the wad and do you think it was appropriate for this type of contest? Surprised by the results? :)

didnt read where to upload, just came home and tried it without reading damn spoilers.. :)
14:32 0 deaths
was I lucky finding secrets or what :)

fdc13blob.zip

Nice blob, so you take imaginary 3rd (2 and a half?) place.
By the way the wad was by Eternal of course, no use trying to hide it since everyone already guessed it.

First of all it was a very nice and creative set of maps. I liked the music too, it was something different. In hindsight I should have played without the music, since I always record without music for speed runs. I think I concentrate better.

Secondly this was definitely harder than the last one. Some pretty nasty traps. Map 3 was a bitch, I think everyone would agree. Map 2 I struggled with the puzzles. I think I have yet to develop a better intuition for this. At least I found a few secrets. The fact that I died 5 times made things pretty hard though. I think I should just play more Doom. ;)

Thanks Memfis and congrats to Demonologist :)

grats demo on beating it all so fast.

I couldn't be arsed to wake up so early on a sunday morning to play officially, but I recorded an attempt just for fun:

https://www.mediafire.com/?g214zfjuyn3yup8

think it was 14:57, 0 deaths. Fun little maps, I wasted a lotttt of time wandering around map02, as I imagine many others did as well.

Did a map02 pacifist now. It's kind of funny how bad it is but if you try it you'll see that both tricks are quite difficult to do.

li02p013.zip

Congrats Demonologist, nicely done. Unfortunately wasn't able to participate in the contest itself this time, so here are a couple of half-assed maxes instead:

Map01 in 0:45 and Map02 in 1:10

li01-02max.zip

Thanks guys.

A thought: maybe it'd be nice to have something different for a change? Archi told in Rush thread that the next map for it is planned to be used in FDC, and that's a totally different level difficulty-wise. How would people react to such change of pace? Maybe it should be done as a different contest or something?

I think it must be beforhand specified that there will be a slaughter map in a new contest. I'm not a slaughter-lover, but I'd participate in such contest because of having no choice.

Yeah, as I've said on the Russian forum already, I'm for the idea of having a separate contest for slaughter and other more "hardcore" maps because that's too different from what became a standard in FDC (more traditional gameplay, not that high difficulty). Just call it brutal hardcore masochist FDC or something.

Maxes for the other two. 03 took a few more tries because well, the route isn't that reliable. Still 3/4-assed at best though.

Map03 in 2:01
Map04 in 1:28

li03-04max.zip

Memfis said:

I can try to start a discussion about this on the Russian forum. Something tells me that almost everyone will be against the idea of less strict rules but we'll see.

Well, here's a thought: let people download whenever they can (limited to say a week total so it doesn't straggle on forever), but make them log in to download the WAD, log the download, and from the time the download finishes they have a certain amount of time (however much you normally allow) til they must upload their LMP, also via login. That way the playing timeframe is the same for all but no one is locked out by a bad schedule.

(I have no idea how much work that would be to do, tho)

There was some talk from c4tnt about the possibility of creating a modification of prboom-plus with online confirmation of playing to ensure that a demo is really recorded at certain time with no cheating. No idea if that will actually go somewhere but it sure would be great. Then we could even have contests with actual money prizes perhaps. :D And who knows, maybe the Compet-N gods would come back knowing that there would be no way to cheat anymore. But then again, they would never acknowledge anything other than good old doom2.exe. And this is just a dream at this point anyway.

some rankings with FDCs would be cool in future.
obviously points for just taking part as well!
extras for 0 deaths demos, for max kills/secrets %s, for fastest exits each lvls, etc..

there are lots of possibilities if you like it.