Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys, I recently decided to record some Doom rocket jumps on original WADs, so here they are, I hope any of these might help some of you guys in your speedruns! I was unaware and a total amateur about rocketjumps and similar shortcuts, so even though most of you are pros at them, hope these following help :

Doom 1 E2 Map 7 : Spawning Vats rocket jump : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0_H-xiTwBE&list=UUdRlIsjSkwrKY4-ZmkHpLsA

How to get there and complete the level : [/b]
On the spawn point go to the right hallway (you will get to the room with blue door on your left, ignore the door and proceed forward), since there is only one way to follow it is not really hard, you will see a room with an invincibility orb at the end of it, go pick up the orb, after you picked it up go to the corridor on your right - at its end there will be a room with 2 rooms you can go in - don't go to the first room on your right (only go there if you do not have a rocket launcher with you already -> there is a rocket launcher in that room. The second room on your right is the room where you can see the exit at the other side of the acid pool. That is our location - watch how to do it in the video, it is very simple :)

Doom 2 Map 14 : The Inmost Dens rocket jump : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcMa4dp4peY&list=UUdRlIsjSkwrKY4-ZmkHpLsA

How to get there and complete the level :
When spawned, go right, then left all the way, jumping off the "window" of this structure. You will see a big gate in front of you - go through the gate to the other side, and once you get there, turn right, left, and left again, where you will see a door to the location from where you perform the rocket jump. See the video for correct positioning. After you correctly do the jump just run towards the exit door. Make sure you run.

Doom 2 Map 23 : Barrels o' Fun rocket jump : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coK0TSphKkE&list=UUdRlIsjSkwrKY4-ZmkHpLsA

How to get there and complete the level :
When you spawn, quickly squeeze your way through the barrels to the end of the room, open the gate and enter the teleporter. Once teleported, quickly go to the other side of the room, try to run to evade the machinegunners and barrel explosions. Enter the teleporter, and once you get teleported, look to your right, you will see a long brown wall - shoot it and it will raise itself. The positioning and rest can be found in the video.

Since this is my first contribution to the forum newbies, I hope someone will actually find it helpful! Thank you guys and enjoy yourselves! :D

The first two are very well known; I'm not aware of any uses for the last one. The IWADs have been pretty thoroughly examined for tricks by numerous speedrunners, so it's very difficult to come up with new tricks. :p

4shockblast said:

The first two are very well known; I'm not aware of any uses for the last one. The IWADs have been pretty thoroughly examined for tricks by numerous speedrunners, so it's very difficult to come up with new tricks. :p

As I said, a noob-friendly guide to some of those, because I had to discover these by myself, guess it is easier this way :)

There's an old list of iwad tricks here. There have been plenty discovered since then, of course. For instance, the e2m7 rocket jump has been obsoleted for single-map demos (except nomo) by the thing-glide method that Vile used in 2005.

I'll hijack this thread a little... How hard do you guys find the Scythe 2 map07 rj?

I've done quite a few impossible-level rjs throughout my career of a false corrupt rj prophet, but I simply can't do that one. Not to save my life, not after watching Vile's proof of concept a hundred times. He takes it casual and I've always wanted to improve the time, but no can do. Anyone up for plugging that "hole" in the tables?

I remember I tried it out of curiosity after reading one of your rants and I couldn't do it either. Btw PrBoom+ plays DomRem's demo "with PrBoom v2.1.2-v2.2.6 compatibility", I wonder if that's actually what makes it possible (maybe rocket blast works differently somehow o,o). How do you guys like my excuse for not being able to do it?

Memfis said:

I remember I tried it out of curiosity after reading one of your rants and I couldn't do it either. Btw PrBoom+ plays DomRem's demo "with PrBoom v2.1.2-v2.2.6 compatibility", I wonder if that's actually what makes it possible (maybe rocket blast works differently somehow o,o). How do you guys like my excuse for not being able to do it?

Damn, you may be right. I just tried it cl9 first, couldn't do it after 20 attempts or more. First try with cl12 and third with cl14.

Wow, that would be anticlimatic and I want my free time back, haha.

It requires 32 average speed on minimum... 30 is the cap D: Though it might be possible with one(0.5) wallrun tic south even with cl2, not sure if the player is midair in that case tho, never tried. That would make jumps exactly 256 units long possible south/west (7*30+15+32-1 = 256). (North/east it is 60*7+32-1 = 451 unit gap)

Btw, that map23 rocket jump is almost useless :P Risk-reward isn't really worth it. (This is how I did it on legacy nomo back in 2009 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdLwXPZxQY )

Oddly enough, I've had an even more frustrating experience with that particular jump. In my over 1000 attempts at the no-monster run, I have successfully executed the jump twice. Both times I died and crossed the exit. However, I crossed the exit linedef so fast it didn't register and the run failed. If someone finds an easy way without complevels it would be so relieving.

Why is it called a 'rocket jump'? You don't jump, you get pushed.
Why not call it a 'rocket push' then?

It is sometimes called a rocket boost not a rocket jump but I believe the name's just carried over from Quake. Also it does help you jump over gaps etc. hence rocket jump still works.

I'm curious:

Ultimate Doom, E3M7, assuming we have a rl and enough health.
After getting the yellow key, instead of taking the normal route (rising the floor, returning back and jumping onto it), is it possible to go directly to the yellow key door (not the one with the switch, but the one in front of the exit) and rocketjump to the exit door? With some luck, lost souls can possibly be helpful. It's only worth trying in TAS, but still, is there a chance that the rj is possible? Had someone attempted it, or is it not even worth considering?

Kpa6 said:

I'm curious:

Ultimate Doom, E3M7, assuming we have a rl and enough health.
After getting the yellow key, instead of taking the normal route (rising the floor, returning back and jumping onto it), is it possible to go directly to the yellow key door (not the one with the switch, but the one in front of the exit) and rocketjump to the exit door? With some luck, lost souls can possibly be helpful. It's only worth trying in TAS, but still, is there a chance that the rj is possible? Had someone attempted it, or is it not even worth considering?

I'm not certain, trying it a bit non-TAS made it seem like a bit of a stretch, but not necessarily impossible. I did that jump in Doom Done Turbo, and that demo was recorded with buggy -turbo 255 (turbo wasn't applied to strafing). The wall is a bit far for the RJ, though, so it'd be difficult to retain the speed from the rocket all the way to the edge of the platform.

Thanks 4shockblast, but I think I mean a place different from where you did your jump from. I was thinking of rj from one of the walls in the sector 158, it seems to be more likely.

P.S. How do I add an image to the post? It would make it much easier.

Kpa6 said:

Thanks 4shockblast, but I think I mean a place different from where you did your jump from. I was thinking of rj from one of the walls in the sector 158, it seems to be more likely.

P.S. How do I add an image to the post? It would make it much easier.

Images are added using [img] tags, I believe.

Regarding sector 158, I'm still uncertain if it's possible. For one, getting to that sector requires the yellow key unless you RJ to it. I was able to get an RJ to the sector from the yellow key platform after raising the sector between the yellow key platform and the teleporter from which you'd normally do the exit jump, though raising the platform may be unnecessary with TAS. However, even with slowmotion and permanent strafe50, I couldn't get the jump to work, and I didn't seem to be getting too close. Maybe with the precision of building and possibly some tricky wallrun/boost help it could be done, but I'm not sure.

Got it, thanks:) I was thinking of using a lost soul as help for better jump or wallrun. After seeing the stx-Vile's e2m7 trick I believe that nearly anything is possible:)

Edit: another thought. If a lost soul somehow gets close enough to the sector 124, it may be possible to rj from it.

Does the "double splash damage" thing work with rocketjumps? When I was playing BTSX, I accidentaly killed myself with a rocket and got a very large speed boost (I was standing still and got ~25 speed when the rocket killed me). I think that happened because I got "double-splash-damaged". Is it possible or it's just me?

Regerding rocket jumps and other known tricks, I've started to collect them and I'll create a special page to browse them easily on http://www.doom.com.hr later. Of course most of the tricks I took are from old compet-n site but there are many new so if you know any that I didn't mention please add as I need help to edit them all, make videos descriptions etc.

Link to tricks:
http://www.doom.com.hr/forum/viewforum.php?f=75

Looper said:

It requires 32 average speed on minimum... 30 is the cap D: Though it might be possible with one(0.5) wallrun tic south even with cl2, not sure if the player is midair in that case tho, never tried.

I was a bit curious and tested it finally. It seems it's possible to wallrun one full tic (so that's 60 distance instead of 45) towards south. I used turbo+rocket launcher and got 60~ + 30*6 distance jump = 240. And the width of the player is still 32 so you can add another 32 to the gap. And there's always the minor error with the coordinates because nobody makes it perfect and if someone does, it probably still doesn't work (not gonna test it :D). So it adds up to (240 + 32 - 0.000031) = 271.999969 distance when going south.

I don't recommend trying exactly 272 unit jump because it would be ludicrously difficult IF it's even possible with this method, but 271 shouldn't be too difficult with TAS+turbo.

Please don't upload to DSDA, it only shows the rocket jump in Scythe 2 map07 cl2. You don't actually need the rocket boost here, but I wanted 30speed south because it matches the 'calculations'.

Edit: I guess you can have more wallrun tics if the opposite wall is close or/and you shoot many rockets around the rocket jump place or something like that because you have to refresh the sideways momentum every frame to get the wallrun, I think :D So with 4-player turbo TAS boosts maybe 60*7 isn't that ludicrous actually. Maybe even the ludicrous yellow key grab @ doom2 map13 would work this way *mumbling*

s207trbo.zip

4shockblast said:

Damn, you may be right. I just tried it cl9 first, couldn't do it after 20 attempts or more. First try with cl12 and third with cl14.

I did that bastard with -cl 2, but, unfortunately, it was regular playthrough. No luck with replicating it in my uv-speed movie...