Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Do /idgames scanners exist?

Is there any tool that automatically scans the entire /idgames repository for dubious stuff like duplicate resources, incorrect text files, illegal content or zip bombs?

Nope, I think OP meant zipped files which are small in size, but uncompressing them releases some multi-gigabyte file on your hard drive. They don't really infect your system, they just fill your drive with useless data.

Apparently there are some "tools":

Ty Halderman said in another thread:
From this point forward, in addition to all the recently added email verification, I'll be downloading and examining each file for content. More of my time, but it's taking more time later when I get a complaint to go back through, so I'll just do it from now on. I have some automated tools I can use, and will write something further if needed.

But anyway, I don't think there's a program that can really replace Ty, right?

I respect Ty that he's taking all this time.

There's just no robot that can replace this man's dedication. Things get awry when you use an automated system. Look at YouTube's Content ID bullshit.

Crasger said:

Look at YouTube's Content ID bullshit.

That's exactly what would be interesting to try, though wads which use illegal content are too few and probably already rejected.

And I never said anything anywhere about replacing the /idgames admin, geez. All I meant is some tool to help users help Ty or the forums with detecting more stealth problems, such as wad frauds. They have happened beforeā€¦

Doominator2 said:

Just to get this straight, a Zip-Bomb is malware right?

Actually, such malware exists. I hope, idgames is not affected, though. I didn't check.

Such a bomb was deployed with malicious ANSI codes in the zip's description feature. Of course, only plain DOS machines with an active ANSI driver is at risk. All other configurations are immune.

Google for "ansi bomb"

Is Doomworld's idgames text file parser open-source? By that I mean the way it reads template-compliant text files and displays them organized in a table on the zip's detail page.

printz said:

And I never said anything anywhere about replacing the /idgames admin, geez.

Well I guess, Ty combined with the bot could totally blast through the archive, protecting it from stuff.

Let's take it one step further, let's turn Ty into a cyborg. It'll be just like Iron Man.