Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fahim@_@

Do you find the 'E1M8: Phobos Anomaly' music creepy/depressing?

Doomkid said:

On the flipside, D_RUNNIN is basically an in-joke for mappers. I wonder if we'd feel that way if the song were cooler? I feel like it doesn't really "get good" until the awesome, very long solo. The intro bit is honestly kinda boring in that song.

D_RUNNIN was pretty much ruined for me by the 11 kerbillion maps that use, overuse, and misuse unmodified MAP01 music. Same basic principle applies to the default DB2 textures.

doomguy93 said:

I find this version of E1M8 to be a bit depressing/disturbing:

Woah, that's really friggin good. I wish there weren't lyrics, though..

Hellish Godzilla said:

I find the original track to be fairly gloomy and a little unsettling. But the only version I've heard that actually creeps me out is the 32X version. You might fault it for the off-key guitar or the drums, but the fact that it sounds so wrong is a boon in some ways, IMO.

Yuck, that's fucking gross! My ears are highly offended. Those note bends are god awful, but the turd plopping into a bowl sound effect at the beginning takes the edge off.

As Doomguy93 said, the entire 32x soundtrack sounds like wet farts. I forgot just how awful it was..

Someone should make a sound font for Doom that replaces all guitars with actual recordings of wet farts, and see just how similar it is to the 32x version. I legitimately think it would still sound better.

Linkrulezall said:

Same basic principle applies to the default DB2 textures.

Oh please, not this shit again. It's not their fault that a damn editor makes them default.

Doominator2 said:

The 32x version sounds like a demon is taking a dump!

hahahahahah

I've never really found A Sign Of Evil to be creepy, but I have always found it atmospheric and depressing. While it doesn't affect me much anymore, listening to the song for extended periods of time would put me in a melodramatic mood. And yes, the PC version with the cheesy synth drum, I never really thought it was that cheesy sounding.

plums said:

I really like the 3DO version of this track (and the 3DO soundtrack in general).

You're damn right it's good. I really wish that the rest of the Doom 1's OST and all of Doom 2's OST could be filled out in the style of the 3DO tracks. I don't really have the skill or the tools to do it myself. My guitar needs some maintenance, and I suck at playing it anyway. Also need to be able to compose worth a damn for any extra layers.

If anyone skilled and willing is out there reading this, I challenge you to make authentic sounding 3DO style tracks to fill out the rest of the OST, because it would be awesome.

joe-ilya said:

Me too, but I prefer the GBAdoom soundtrack over the PC though.

Why do you like that one over the PC music? I suppose some of the rearrangement of the song structure is interesting because it changes some of it up, but I feel that it destroys the original atmosphere of the original tracks and makes them far too repetitive.

Doomkid said:

Woah, that's really friggin good. I wish there weren't lyrics, though..

Yeah I like it too lol. The lyrics were ok up until the point where it instructed the litener on how to decapitate a corpse :P

E1M8 was one of the best tracks of the game. I like the original Doom MIDI better than the rest, especially if it's played using FMOD on a sourceport.

Crasger said:

E1M8 was one of the best tracks of the game. I like the original Doom MIDI better than the rest, especially if it's played using FMOD on a sourceport.

FMOD is definitely the best!

Well it definitely has more depressing vibe than rest of the knee deep in the death soundtrack

It has a certain desolate end-times vibe to it. Part of the reason it fits so well with the map. It also always kind of reminds me of The Stand.

I think it's an amazing melancholic piece of music, and then the story text music that follows when you reach the climax of the level is just out of this world.

Sodaholic said:

Why do you like that one over the PC music? I suppose some of the rearrangement of the song structure is interesting because it changes some of it up, but I feel that it destroys the original atmosphere of the original tracks and makes them far too repetitive.

I actually meant the Doom2GBA, the regular DoomGBA soundtrack sucks.

Very atmospheric song. One of my (if not THE) favorite Doom tracks.

I'm surprised nobody used the Word "melancholic" before DeadevokatioN did it (great minds think alike etc...). When I'm listening to the song I'm getting a feeling there is NO HOPE left. Exactly the kind of feeling I love in Doom. Cheerful midis no thanks (with a few exeptions of course).

"fun" fact: my previous death metal band actually made a ambient/piano version of the melody and used it as a outro on our first demo =)

printz said:

Oh please, not this shit again. It's not their fault that a damn editor makes them default.

And it's not D_RUNNIN's fault that 11 kerbillion mappers don't know how to change music or just don't care enough to change music.

Guest Unregistered account

Sign of Evil is a fantastic track, one of the top best songs in the entire Doom franchise (quite an achievement). There is nothing in this theme that sounds "cheesy".

I could go on about how much of a masterpiece Phobos Anomaly was, and all its effective strategies and execution, and how Doom 4 needs more of this kind of thing but I've already posted that on a bunch of other threads.

For Final Doom The Way Id Did, I'm submitting a Plutonia level for Map06.

Which just happens to use Sign of Evil as its music track...

I don't feel that e1m8 is depressing at all. It feels like a song of victory. it's like yeah, I've made it this far and I'm not gonna give up now.

Well, the fact that "Sign of Evil" and the narration music is melancholic got me all pumped when I got to episode 2 and heard "I Sawed the Demons" for the very first time.

Good times.

Yeah, I always thought it was depressing, largely because the levels it in are levels that disturbed me as a kid. Phobos Anomaly, a level where you just get consumed by monsters at the end, and House of Pain, where there is a gallery of flayed bodies in an inacessible room filled with blood.