Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

LAN Dooming without internet or router?

I've looked around, and can't find an answer anywhere.

Is this possible with any port? If my friends come down, I want to be able to have some DMs with them, but using my phone as a WiFi hotspot is all I have for the foreseeable future.. Any solution to this?

Like 7 years ago I played some doom2.exe\zdoom\jdoom coop with my brother connecting via simple ethernet cable.

Yeah I play that way all the time. Disconnect some laptops from the internet and connect them to a router with Ethernet cables. (if you don't have those resources now, they'll cost you about $30) then have one host a LAN game. Get the IP address and have the other laptops connect to it for lag free deathmatch/coop with friends. Should work on any source port. Most flexible and easy to set up with the Big Three multiplayer source ports.

Yep, a hub and four cables and you're in for a treat. Only thing to keep in mind is the sort of cable - I think PC to PC uses a "crossed" one, whereas connecting to a hub requires "normal" ones.
Pretty sure someone with network background can give the proper nomenclature on this.

IIRC crossover cables are needed for computer to computer, or switch to switch/hub to hub. Switch/hub to computer needs a straight cable.

That being said most modern networking hardware comes with Auto-MDIX and can use any cable that is properly wired.