Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Cacowards 2014 nomination thread

gothic said:

I agree with this nomination. If I only play one new project this year, I'm glad it was this.

Not really sold on all these lifetime awards, TBH. There's a raft of people who the community most probably simply wouldn't be here without that all deserve a lot of recognition, but the widespread use and support of their products is probably a good start on that, given we're all hobbyists here.

The fact that almost the whole thread so far is about this 'lifetime achievement' award, shows me that this was perhaps not so good an idea after all. There are literally dozens of people who helped to build & shape this community in very tangible ways and to pick one over the other looks a bit strange to me.

Obsidian said:

Maybe the Espi award should be once every 10 years? Or 5, or something.

Maybe it shouldn't have been at all.

Mordeth said:

The fact that almost the whole thread so far is about this 'lifetime achievement' award, shows me that this was perhaps not so good an idea after all.

I think this is mostly because we're still in January and this is a new award, so first there aren't that many available choices for nominees in the traditional categories and secondly this fresh new award is still draped in interesting novelty.

That said, 35 posts so far.
Other posts (including OP): 1
Posts purely about traditional awards: 12
Posts purely about Espi awards: 18 including mine
Posts about both: 4

Doesn't seem that bad, it's just a bit over half. About one-third of the thread is purely about the other awards, entirely devoid of the slightest allusion to the Espi awards.

nominations for this year's Cacowards

As much as I hate the name of it - Swim With The Whales. Caught my eye straight away and I like what I've played of it so far. Weird, otherworldly stuff... which is really hard to get a concise look out of, and this manages just that. Tough as nails encounters with very limited solution options, making them borderline think-on-your-feet puzzles.

EDIT: [/color] don't work? I was trying to be fancy and make that bold bit purple...

A tie between Kim Malde and Jive for the Espi award... not sure if Jive already won this, I'm not a regular Cacoward reader.

The PSX conversions deserve a joint award for so many reasons. Now we can finally fight Hell Barons, Mancubi and Spider Masterminds on Playstation Final Doom levels. I always felt there was a reason Williams cut some of the maps, but playing them after all these years, it seems hard to justify that view any more. EDIT: Except for some of Sandy Petersen's maps... I still wish they'd hired Sandy Toxvig instead, she might have a funny voice but she wouldn't have deployed an epic turd like The Chasm.

MajorRawne said:

A tie between Kim Malde and Jive for the Espi award... not sure if Jive already won this, I'm not a regular Cacoward reader.

Can you explain your reasoning for this? Maybe give us a draft of the award text for Jive's case? Just so we know it's not stupid drive-by posting.

dew said:

Can you explain your reasoning for this? Maybe give us a draft of the award text for Jive's case? Just so we know it's not stupid drive-by posting.

Are you sure you want to hear that? It will surely involve a lot of massive turds.

I'm aware of Jive's infamous "mod contributions" and the honestly sad, desperate final episode of his life. It would be much more respectful towards his person to remember his antics with a pinch of lighthearted sarcasm and a lot down-to-earth understanding than to heap false reverence to an idolized version of him. That's why I was irritated by NoPoet's post.

Flashback to Hell by Stormwalker for a cacoward:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/fth666.zip

Best wad released so far this year, IMO. Starts out like a fun, and solid good looking episode but took me by surprise with some of the later levels that are huge atmospheric masterpieces with expansive epic non linear environments (looking at you Map10 ;)) while still keeping that classic DooM feeling!

Flashback to Hell by Vordakk. Just finished playing it and I can tell you now that the wait was totally worth it. Great level design balanced with top notch game play, new music and graphics. Sure it might not be as challenging as other wads but it is absolutely amazing.

You all keep forgetting one important thing about this wad - it's mostly a remake set. And one could nominate a remake set for a Cacoward only for such a reason as complete despair. I guess I'm not there yet, as I believe there's still some originality left among all this garbage carrying the banner of 'the way my dog did'. Definitely not in this offering.

PSX DOOM for me, the ammoint of polish and little things you can do, such as the original Williams start up deserves recognition.

Only problem is the PSX TC has been out for several years now, the mod has to be only released this year to be eligible.

FTuma said:

I'm nominating Visions of Eternity. Rock solid episodes that just missed the cut for 2013 consideration. Could reasonably just be considered a fifth Doom episode, just as it shows on the selection screen.

i too nominate Visionf of Eternity. i might be biased, since i go to see it being made, but i think its really awesome episode.

Mordeth said:

The fact that almost the whole thread so far is about this 'lifetime achievement' award, shows me that this was perhaps not so good an idea after all. There are literally dozens of people who helped to build & shape this community in very tangible ways and to pick one over the other looks a bit strange to me.

i agree. a community consists of people and not a person. every year, many people contribute in all different ways whether through mapping, modding, reviewing. even just being a poster here contributes because it adds to the size of the doom fanbase which is how the game managed to stay strong and popular over all these years.

I'd nominate PSX Doom TC and lost levels, awesome wads, much gameplay.