Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Eris Falling said:

I put Werecat and scifista down for 2-6 and 4-2 respectively, I assume you two wanted to do those slots?

Yeah, I always wanted to make a E2 map. Although I didn't realise it until tod

@Eris: You can reserve me the slot temporarily, thanks. But once the project will be really started, I'll probably give it up immediately, depending on how soon it happens and what the official rules will be like. I feel I should better finish my works in progress as a priority.

Ya did it! I'm going to recommend this for the DWMC in July. I'm already looking forward to playing some of these maps again, in fact.

Holy shit, its done? I know I was mostly offline for a while, but surely it wasnt THAT long :P

I'll wait a while for any emergency corrections, then give the whole thing a go.

Oh.
REALLY?
I swear I integrated it twice. Updating the WAD now just needs an extra section in the text file right?

Looking forward to hipp0cat's play through of my level. I made it as non-linear as a possible (without resorting to mazes), which can be confusing, but then again, I hope that is one of the challenges of doom that players appreciate. Are you still updating those hipp0cat?

Oh, cool it's finally released, I'm at map05 and I don't notice any changes exept for those bug fixings.
Also, will there be another 'in name only' thing? Chex quest in name only.

Egregor said:

Looking forward to hipp0cat's play through of my level. I made it as non-linear as a possible (without resorting to mazes), which can be confusing, but then again, I hope that is one of the challenges of doom that players appreciate. Are you still updating those hipp0cat?

I'll have to speak for him here. He almost got around to recording a new update a few days ago but was apparently "suddenly called" to do something about some Arma 3 mission or whatever and so didn't. Now as I ask him to come record the remaining parts of my LP of Dark Souls he says he's gonna be real busy for like a week or so. In any case, he'll probably continue eventually, and hopefully relatively soon.

Actually, since it looks like Eris might send yet more fixes to idgames... I don't know how it works, but will the link that cannonball has provided on this page change in that case? Will we lose the (as of now) five 5-star "reviews" and apparently (as of now) 12 five-star ratings? I don't care too much about the latter but I was gonna have hipp0cat put the idgames link in his videos instead of the mediafire one he currently has, and I would like to know if it's too early for that (if it can potentially change, essentially).

I don't know the procedure at all, but I think the link stays the same.
I gather I'm supposed to change the textfile's "Archive Maintainer" section, but am I supposed to upload another MSG with an instruction to replace the existing file?
Given that the main concern was that the secret would have the WAD prevented from getting on idgames, is it even really that relevant now?

EDIT: No word from Jay yet, either.

Eris Falling said:

Given that the main concern was that the secret would have the WAD prevented from getting on idgames, is it even really that relevant now?

EDIT: No word from Jay yet, either.

I think we may just want to let it slide... It's not worth the hussle IMO.

Also, someone really should step up in case Jay doesn't respond. UDINO needs to happen!

Antroid said:

I think we may just want to let it slide... It's not worth the hussle IMO.

Also, someone really should step up in case Jay doesn't respond. UDINO needs to happen!

It's the kind of thing that will niggle me. If someone comments on it then I will probably go nuclear on it. I'd rather it was fixed.

cannonball said:

It's the kind of thing that will niggle me. If someone comments on it then I will probably go nuclear on it. I'd rather it was fixed.

Fair enough, I'll do this tomorrow.
Still beats me how putting the fixed version in twice doesn't actually put the fixed version in.

EDIT: Also, there's the possibility that the e-mail address linked to Jay here is still an active one. I want to be very careful with this, as he had everything planned. Monster appearances, general themes, no BFG until map such and such, and so on.
Under his direction, a very cool project would be produced, and there's no rush for UDINO to begin, so I'd like to be sure that he has at least received the message.

Eris Falling said:

OK, re-uploaded to the FTP. Hopefully that's it now.

Cheers Eris.
I look forward to hipp0cat's pain in the second episode :P

Well, after he complained about MAP11's dark sections, I can't wait to see how he gets on in 19 and 22 :D

I'm enjoying watching his playthroughs, which is not something I'd expect when it comes to LPs.

Also, about the update to 12, I'm guessing the textfile displayed underneath will change when it arrives there. I saw it in LAST.24HOURS so I couldn't have completely screwed up.

So, no reply from Jay yet I gather? Are we going to wait something like a couple months for him to return? Or should we really think about starting UDINO by ourselves?

Is there a list of which slots are taken for UDINO?
In which way is Jay related to the coming project?
From what I've read I take it that he came up with the concept and can't be reached...

p.s.: word on the street is Eris uploaded the project straight out of the emergency room barely holding on to dear life due to suffering from a severe case of multiple upload trauma.

Thanks Hipp0cat for the play through! Though, to be honest you seemed like it was more of a stressful burden than a fun and entertaining map. I thought that was the mark of a good level, always keeping players on their toes, but watching you play through I pretty much just felt bad. Like I should have made the level bright and happy instead of complex, difficult, and creepy. Ha! There were several times were you legitimately discovered things but didn't seem to make the connection. Instead like 'What did that switch do? Why did this door open?' You probably were just tired.

About the darkness: Does anybody else 'waste' shots just to light up a room, to get a glimpse of what's in there? I feel like that is a little trick that would have helped Hipp0cat out A LOT! He was topped out on bullets nearly the entire level.

_bruce_ said:

In which way is Jay related to the coming project?
From what I've read I take it that he came up with the concept and can't be reached...

Eris might've jotted them down somewhere but nothing is official yet, only people expressing which map they would really like to do when the project comes.
Jay was going to be the project leader. The idea of UDINO after D2INO was pretty natural and we all thought it should be done, but with neither Eris nor Ella wanting to lead a project at the moment (Ella might not've even been around when it was being discussed...), Jay said he would do it. Apparently he had a pretty clear vision of some aspects of the project that would help us keep it coherent and more unified or something.

Egregor said:

Thanks Hipp0cat for the play through! Though, to be honest you seemed like it was more of a stressful burden than a fun and entertaining map.

I think he was actually pretty tired. He did say somewhere around those episodes that he hasn't been sleeping regularly due to exams or whatever. Map12 got a much more lively treatment, you can tell the difference in his energy. Unfortunate, but what can you do.

_bruce_ said:

1-1 - ProcessingControl
1-2 - Eris

2-6 - Da Werecat
2-8 - Antroid

3-3 - cannonball
3-7 - Eris
3-8 - Antroid

4-2 - scifista42
4-9 - CorSair
Jay is a rather active twitterer, so if anyone uses that, they could contact him there.

Eris Falling said:

~
2-8 - Antroid
3-8 - Antroid
~

This doesn't mean however that noone else should try those, because I'm not too attached to those slots, I just have an idea for 2-8 that could be cool if it works (there's a high chance that I'll fail), and I thought it would be interesting to make a pre-bossfight part of Dis. Everyone else, feel free to take those slots as well because I'll happily just take whatever's left from eps 1, 2 and 3 anyway. I feel like I could work with any names from those.

At first I was like "Hmm... this is quite a cool level pack - in fact I've noticed that the first levels use the very same texture schemes as their id-made equivalents.. but anyway this is pretty cool". Then came Map07 and at first I was like "Oh come on, this is such a ripoff of the Dead Simple and DTWiD idea", but then I was like "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

That level is evil and wrong. It rapes the soul.

Xfing said:

the first levels use the very same texture schemes as their id-made equivalents..

Isn't it really just 03 and 04 though? All the other levels up to 07 use pretty different schemes from the originals.

Also, that sort of reaction is why map07 is my favorite level in the wad.

Like Antroid, I'm also not that enthused about E4M2, I wouldn't be offended or disappointed at all if anybody took the slot for himself.

Also thanks for the various expressions of (dis)praise of my map. :P