Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

Is there any good reason NOT to have this?

I know this is quite a small query, and hey, perhaps it's for the best that this feature from the original Doom stays.

But there should at LEAST be an option or console command!

I'm talking about... the weapon alignment when you fire shots.
In ZDoom, GZDoom, SkullTag and Zandronum, whenever you fire a shot and your weapon is off-centre because you were running, it automatically jumps to the middle of the screen.

But in SOME sourceports, this doesn't happen. Why?

It just makes it super unsatisfying (for me, anyway) to play an LA Spacestation server or play DeathMatch on ZDaemon.

This feature may sound tiny, and a ridiculous thing to complain about, but online, it's super useful for hitting monsters and players.
I could just use the crosshair, but I don't really like that.

Thoughts?

You mean an option to return to the original Doom behaviour? Which was for weapon bobbing to continue as normal when firing, but bobbing freezes whenever the weapon animates (which is why the chainsaw's bobbing is so jerky). This tends to cause the weapon to be frozen off-centre, which is probably why modern ports recentre the weapon when firing.

The weapon sprites aren't especially useful for aiming anyway, since they're off-centre to begin with.

Would you prefer if the weapon sprite just gets centered or if it kept on bobbing?

I think he wants an option to disable weapon bobbing entirely, so using a crosshair isn't needed for pro MLG quickscopes.

Nope, FoxPup was bang-on. I meant the weapon bobbing freezing when a shot is fired, but recentreing.

I already know how to disable the MoveBob via the console, and no, I don't want to disable that.

Centering the weapon sprite is a definite ZDoomism, i.e. arbitrary change. And you can just use the marine's face as a "crosshair".

Joe667 said:

Nope, FoxPup was bang-on. I meant the weapon bobbing freezing when a shot is fired, but recentreing.

I already know how to disable the MoveBob via the console, and no, I don't want to disable that.

Well, I just tried both alternatives: Fixing the weapon sprite in a centered position while firing just feels natural. It is very close to the original behaviour which fixed the weapon sprite anyway, but now it is in a position that is actually helpful. Bobbing the weapon sprite while firing is even more distracting than fixing it off-center.

The next release of Crispy Doom will have the weapon sprite centered while firing.

At times the shotgun is way off center when firing and is tricky to aim with when fighting something that needs a lot of shells to go down. At times I'll let go of the fire button just so it can adjust and then continue firing from there.

even though fabians example would probably make it worse, I still wish I could have that.

*Sigh* No Fabian, I don't want the weapon to continue bobbing after I've fired. I'm well aware how awful that would probably look.

Also, the original behaviour doesn't "fix" it.

Joe667 said:

*Sigh* No Fabian, I don't want the weapon to continue bobbing after I've fired. I'm well aware how awful that would probably look.

I've just tested it out of curiosity.

Also, the original behaviour doesn't "fix" it.

I didn't use "fixed" in the meaning of "repaired" but rather "locked (to that position)". Sorry if I mixed this up, I am not a native speaker.

40oz said:

even though fabians example would probably make it worse, I still wish I could have that.

What exactly do you mean?

In the end, all I wanted to say is that a centered, non-bobbing weapon sprite while firing feels best for me. :/

Foxpup said:

You mean an option to return to the original Doom behaviour?

Joe667 said:

Nope, FoxPup was bang-on.

The second quote is misleading. The OP doesn't want the original behavior, otherwise he wouldn't complain about ZDaemon (ZDaemon retains vanilla bobbing).

fabian said:

What exactly do you mean?

Oops I'm sorry I meant the latter part of your first post, the part where it bobs even while animating.

I agree with Joe667, if I understand his complaint correctly. I like the ZDoom's way of centering the weapon, and dislike how in vanilla / PrBoom+ / ZDaemon it stays locked in uncentered position. And I agree, there is not any good reason NOT to center the weapon when firing (read: I want the weapon to be centered when firing). I don't count "staying faithful to vanilla" as a good reason, because the vanilla behaviour makes aiming more difficult and that's bad.

scifista42 said:

I don't count "staying faithful to vanilla" as a good reason, because the vanilla behaviour makes aiming more difficult and that's bad.

It means that you have to have to stop a little if you want your weapon to center itself. I don't see the problem with this challenge.

Ok, I apologise to everyone for appearing so mad, it all just kind of came out. And Fabian, I wasn't talking about your grammar. :)

Also, my computer skipped the crucial line (which I've now added in my OP), which is probably why most people thought I wanted the OPPOSITE of what I wanted.

My bad! XD

printz pointed out:
It means that you have to have to stop a little if you want your weapon to center itself. I don't see the problem with this challenge.

Ok, but I kinda totally disagree with that (not trying to be an arsehole or anything!).
Especially in a fast-paced gamemode, like DeathMatch (godDAMN, ZDaemon) or heck, even Single player!