Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kotzugi

Accidental death exits

So I've been watching some TAS demos with a lot of death exits. Now I'm wondering if anybody ever had any accidental death exits while recording without TAS. For example, you're running a hard map, at the end you're low on health, something hits you and you're dead but guess what, you're over the line, and what's more, it's a good time!

I'd like to see some examples of that. :) Good demos/(previous) records preferred (but as long as it's entertaining) - also let's skip IoS demos because I know it happens in a lot of them.

Cheers

Think I've hit an exit switch right as I've died during a run before, though I don't remember when. Kinda funny to think about, since it's like I just collapsed on the button and got a free resurrection for it.

Memfis said:

NM Speed of "Cybie, our friend" immediately comes to mind. - http://doomedsda.us/wad1526.html

Good run. Since there was a baron (I think) right on the exit portal it would seem though that a death exit is quite likely to happen if you're low on health and doing a Speed (and especially on -fast or NM). I lol'd at the classical music. :)

I could think of an unreleased UV-Speed for a Zone 300 map that had this happen. I honestly can't think of any runs I have on the DSDA where I had an accidental death exit, though.

IIRC Creaphis discovered this trick in Deus Vult by complete mistake. It's such an awesome one too... some people are just born lucky.

Snakes said:

IIRC Creaphis discovered this trick in Deus Vult by complete mistake. It's such an awesome one too... some people are just born lucky.

Well he didn't die but I agree it's pretty awesome.

Nice demo there too TOD. Small room with masterminds and cybies spawning in all the time - maybe I'll pass. :)

I died in dvII map02 in the blue room with HKs while playing the wad for the first time. I didn't know about alt exits at the time, so imagine my surprise when it said that i beat the map :p
Can't think of any demo right now, doubt there are 10+ in existence that are both fast and manage to end with a lucky unintended death exit.

Really? Coincidences:

- the author of the map creates a normal exit, but apart from that inserts a few sectors with the same properties as E1M8 final room
- the recorder walks into one of these sectors when trying to evade cyberdemons rockets
- health <10% => exit

Thanks. I saw a few Deus Vult 2 exits like that by the way. But why would authors do something like that? It seems so random and pointless. Perhaps some kind of easter egg for speed runners?

Kotzugi said:

Thanks. I saw a few Deus Vult 2 exits like that by the way. But why would authors do something like that? It seems so random and pointless. Perhaps some kind of easter egg for speed runners?

I expect that it's usually accidental. There's Sunder map 14 and 9thfloor.wad for other examples of this.

In Deus Vult 2 it was intentional: Huy wanted to make maps more uv-speed friendly because they seemed too long otherwise. This resulted in very boring speedruns however, so he's planning to remove them for the second release.

I have an unreleased run for a Whitemare map where I am blocked by a few revenants and they punch me into the exit. At the time it wasn't exactly funny seeing as my previous attempts on a UV Speed run actually has me running past them with ease yet when I switched to the pacifist category, it doesn't happen despite using the same tactic of just running past.

Once I get my intended time (like with my other unreleasable's), I will but I would rather have a bit more effort put into them as that's what I have been trying to do lately.

You can post it on this thread. Doesn't have to be a super duper good time. See The Green Herring's demo for example.

If I recall correctly there was a TNT Map 15 demo where the player died on the exact tic of pressing the exit switch.

Cacatou said:

If I recall correctly there was a TNT Map 15 demo where the player died on the exact tic of pressing the exit switch.

Can you remember which category it was? There are a LOT of map 15 demos. :)

Revved said:

I think it was a stroller if I remember correctly.

I just checked the stroller demo here (as well as the other 3 included in the pack for TNT) but nope that wasn't it.

Watching strolling is somewhat entertaining though.