Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

What is your Doom Engine(s) of choice?

I'm a Prboom+ fan. It has pretty much anything I'd want from a sourceport.

One out of every four new members who registered at the current year will make one of these threads.

Sigh.

In order of preference/frequency

Chocolate Doom if playing vanilla WADs
PRBoom+ if playing limit removing
ZDoom/GZDoom if required or if I fancy using a mod (or just a change)
Chocorenderlimits for testing
Legacy if co-oping with Dylan (though I'm going to try 3dge next time)
ZDaemon for online play
Doom Retro I have downloaded but I've not found a regular use for it

Generally I like it to feel like Doom so play with the port closest to this experience that the WAD will work with. Occasionally, I'll fancy a change but I never really enjoy GZDoom because I can't seem to get a good lighting/contrast ratio. I have a problem with PRBoom+ too, for some reason the volume is set very low and has to be reset after every level, which is annoying.

Chocolate Doom for Vanilla play
PrBoom+ (GLBoom+ more precisely) for limit-removing & Boom-compatible WAD's
(G)ZDoom when I have to

I like Crispy Doom (a better-res vanilla port with some funky features), and I'm really waiting for a finalised version of Chocolate Doom gl-branch (I like both very high res and vanilla play).

Odamex / ZDaemon / Zandronum, since most of my Dooming is done multiplayer.

Modded Doom95 (fixed demos, fixed "hippie color" glitch, fixed mouse) for single player, since it reminds me of childhood.

DOSbox, just to make sure I haven't flooded my maps with VPOs!

Doom Legacy when with friends because of the awesome splitscreen mode. I'm keeping a close eye on 3DGE too, for this exact reason.

I'm using gzdoom and 3DGE(usually with Doom Forever) because I like dynamic lighting.

I use Doom Retro for the original games though, because it's hardcore enough ... and vanilla resolution is disgustingly low for me.

I now just use GZDoom, I used to also use PrBoom+ for the alternate HUD but no longer bother with it anymore.

I'm currently however interested in 3DGE but haven't yet downloaded it.

ZDoom mostly, also PrBoom+ for demo stuff, Chocolate Doom for vanilla stuff.

In order of most used:

PrBoom
ZDoom
Chocolate Doom
Eternity
Zandronum

And every XP compatible port out there for when I feel like something different.

ZDoom

Emulates the original software graphics. Smooth 60 fps, huge mod support, all the bells and whistles of other source ports without that OpenGL lighting weirdness.

Eris Falling said:

ZDoom, wishing I could use GZDoom.

Intel graphics I assume? ;)

as for my favourite ports:

- Chocolate Doom
- PrBoom+
- GZDoom

fabian said:

WinMBF

Curious as to what keeps you using this? It's a fine port but between all the other options available now I don't really know what niche it fills.

plums said:

Curious as to what keeps you using this? It's a fine port but between all the other options available now I don't really know what niche it fills.

It is the cleanest implementation of Boom/MBF that you can find -- apart from the original MS-DOS EXEs (PrBoom+, Eternity and the like have evolved quite much). And with a little patching, it is actually quite portable. It is like "Chocolate MBF" for me. ;)

As I've said elsewhere . . .

Risen3D -- Fastest, smoothest for keypad-based keyboarders, best GL appearance, nicest default gamma settings.

GZDoom -- Closest to Risen3D in speed and keypad feel, superior options. It's the one I'd use if I could only use one.

GLBoom -- Only if I need to make a demo. Horrid feel on the keypad. I play even shittier than usual on this one. ;)

Eternity because of its clean design philosophy: modify and enhance the engine structure greatly, without ever affecting the game itself.

Eternity, mostly followed by PrBoom + (the latter is mostly for demo recording purposes). I do all testing through Eternity unless it's an overly ambitious vanilla project, but my projects will never fall into the category of "overly ambitious", it's not due to being "lazy", but due to my selective participation in most things which require some form of a strange word called "effort".

Eris Falling said:

ZDoom, wishing I could use GZDoom.

Intel graphics I assume? ;)

I have integrated Intel graphics too and I can run it fine, albeit not at the maximum level the port can go, obviously.

Springy said:

I have integrated Intel graphics too and I can run it fine, albeit not at the maximum level the port can go, obviously.

Depends on what kind of Intel chip you have. The more recent ones are ok, but older ones truly suck.

A lot has changed since the last time I checked out this scene. Legacy was the top dog back then. Judging from what I've seen around the web, I'll probably concentrate my efforts on (g)zdoom. Seems to offer the best balance of features while staying somewhat true to the original gameplay wise.

mikeo007 said:

A lot has changed since the last time I checked out this scene. Legacy was the top dog back then. Judging from what I've seen around the web, I'll probably concentrate my efforts on (g)zdoom. Seems to offer the best balance of features while staying somewhat true to the original gameplay wise.

That is a reasonable decision. Although, out of the about 15 actively developed source ports, you'd be hard pressed to find a "useless" one.

Zandronum for all casual playthroughs. Sometimes PrBoom-plus, also for occasional demo recording. Rarely ZDaemon for multiplayer. Chocorenderlimits and vanilla engine for vanilla wad testing.