Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little Faith

Doom1 level assignment

Why don't you start an assignment list for Ultimate Doom levels.

I really would like to contribute with some levels, but i'm not much for the selection of Doom2 maps left.

Maybe I could do some E2 maps then. I'd love to.

Hm there's been a doom #1 levels list for ages, but since nobody made any I never got around to adding it to the status page. At one point someone I know had all of episode 1 allocated, but I think I pruned it recently (or someone else did, can't remember).

Anyway its there on the status page now.

Hi- done. I've tagged it with the date, so we can see if people have had dormant assigns for ages, but don't worry, unless there's suddenly a huge demand for doom #1 levels you can take as long as you want :)

Ok, I'm working on e1m5 at the moment. I've started to wonder about episode consistency. I've posted some screenshots of my level up here: http://bylands.dur.ac.uk/~jmtd/e1m5/ . Anyone else developing e1 levels (no others assigned yet..) may want to work together to keep style consistent.

Note: its the doom2 sky1 since doom legacy will not let me apply a PWAD to the shareware IWAD...

I'm developing E2M6 and I also want to develop more E2 or E3 levels.

I'm doing E2M6 very true to the original, but the start area will be much larger and the building descending into a slime pit will be much more elaborate and interesting.

I'm not doing any development right now, but I will when my exams are over in the middle of the coming week.

Wednesday will be Wadnesday!

Hmm I have to say I don't think the levels should be made that true to the originals. I think its sensible and interesting to stick to the 'style' of the originals - e.g. map07 replacement being a square arena and the map07 specials, but for example map03 is too similar imho. We can't clone doom that closely, so it seems half hearted and 'limp' to try.

I can assure you it will look nothing like the original on the automap. But i'm keeping the ickwall tunnels because I love them.

As I said in another post, IMO we should not stick to the original levels at all (except for my map07 of course, because of the map07 special ;) I think we can do better levels, and as Jon said, sticking close to the original levels (like freedoom's current map03) will make it look like a cheap rip-off of Doom.

Aye. On the subject of too similar, some of the musics (map01..) are really, really close.

No the map 02 music is the real culprit. I like the Map01 music! It is so cool. (Kinda weird since I don't like the original map01 music).

I think map11 is the perfect example of how much a level should resemble the old one.

map11 looks more like tricks and traps...

I've moved from e1m5 to e1m1 in order to set the theme for episode 1.

So the theme is more realistic versions of the original levels I take it?

Hmm...I might be willing to do something, then...what do you have left in the way of E1?

Heh, don't worry, I think I've got a pretty good grip on realistic design...