Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

[Compo] Battle of the Bits does Doom II

Hey folks,

Battle of the Bits, a supercool chiptuney compo place, is hosting a vanilla Doom 2 single-map competition thingy. A couple of goofy folks around here are participating, including myself, maybe-Jimmy, and yakfak (who just shared his map recently; go play it), but we're looking for more participants. There's about two weeks left, so plenty of time, maybe!

The rules are pretty straightforward: Make a vanilla-compatible Doom 2 map; custom textures are allowed. Following the entry period, the community votes on the best maps and the winners are ranked and given fabulous imaginary internet points, but mostly it's just a fun excuse to sit down, make a map, and test your mettle against other doomfolk. Assuming more people join in, of course. :)

If you're at all interested in giving it a shot, make something, sign up, n' submit (and vote too while you're at it!) and go down in the annals of semi-official Doom-ish history! Or something.

Memfis said:

custom music not allowed :(

Do people really love that D_RUNNIN shit? D: Anyway, I may give it a try.

Guest Unregistered account

I am so in. I didn't compete last time because, embarrassingly, I couldn't re-find the post with the link. X( But I'll give my all now!

the site also said:

All tunes will be rendered to MP3 for voting accessibility.
No covers allowed, only original works.

Umm, uhh.

Both misprints pointed out thus far were probably left in on purpose due to rampant in-jokes. Or not. It's hard to tell. D:

re: music, it was allowed last year and it's an annoying change IMO that I hope gets rectified/addressed/something. Do note that the only submission thus far blatantly violates this though. :P

Hey, participants, if you submit a map to that contest, would you do a favor to us other Doomworlders and post it here too, so that we don't have to register at BotB (yet), please?

Seconded there -- one unfortunate BotB bit is that you can't download entries without logging in / signing up (hint wink change request D:), so a second mirror is good for folks that do things. I'll make a listing in the OP once they start rolling in, if folks post linkmirrors. Or maybe I'll do that myself, since I have a server and all. O:

Super-psyched to see interest though! :D

https://www.mediafire.com/?4pr44mdgqn0mogw

my map for the compo.

It's a map for vanilla doom 2, it have new textures from plum's sky extravaganza, evilution and skulltag...

also there's a HOM in the sky in the starting outdoor for some obscure reasons, i tried in all the ways to fix that, but it only get worse T_T

hope you like it.

@walter: I've enjoyed playing through the map. Visuals were okay, neither bad, nor great. It really lacked action and was easy-ish, though. I spent most of the time just wandering around. Some switches didn't indicate well-enough what and where they did. Occasionally I got lost, but ultimately I've found the exit (accessed from the start area after pressing all the map's switches).

@joe-ilya: Well, I'm not sure how much understanding will your limitation-based map get. Gameplay is madness, kind of an unfair and tedious slaughter. Doesn't look good at all. Completely messy texturing, overly simple abstract structure. Not a fan, sorry.

I can give it a shot, but when exactly is the deadline? and do i need to sign up on the website itself?

SFoZ911 said:

I can give it a shot, but when exactly is the deadline? and do i need to sign up on the website itself?

Around November 16th, see a counter on the left. You need to sign up there, too, even if you just want to download a submission or post a comment.

Definitely gonna do something for this, although it's in the middle of my exam period, so I'll have to excrete something of acceptable quality within a day or two. D:

scifista42 said:

@joe-ilya: Well, I'm not sure how much understanding will your limitation-based map get. Gameplay is madness, kind of an unfair and tedious slaughter. Doesn't look good at all. Completely messy texturing, overly simple abstract structure. Not a fan, sorry.

I barely used any textures in the map, what are you talking about?
And what's so bad in blowing monsters with rockets and BFG blasts? It's how every slaughterfest map goes or did you want a gun that kills all the monsters in the map in one shot?

Lotsa question marks, whatever.

Breezeep said:

joe, please stop joining every community project that pops up.

Stop saying that everytime I join a community project, is this a meme?

No. it's not a meme. you won't improve if you constantly make make maps for every community project that spawns. This is why your maps are not good. Just take your time to make a personal project of your own.

Once again: it is not a meme. We're only trying to help you improve.

scifista42 said:

@walter: I've enjoyed playing through the map. Visuals were okay, neither bad, nor great. It really lacked action and was easy-ish, though. I spent most of the time just wandering around. Some switches didn't indicate well-enough what and where they did. Occasionally I got lost, but ultimately I've found the exit (accessed from the start area after pressing all the map's switches).

Thanks for the feedback!

re: BotB signups, there's no malware or attached strings or anything, just a "hey give us an e-mail and we WON'T spam you and just let you use it to login instead." Like all good sites should behave. :P

Great to see interest! Keep 'em coming! :D

Breezeep said:

No. it's not a meme. you won't improve if you constantly make make maps for every community project that spawns. This is why your maps are not good. Just take your time to make a personal project of your own.

Once again: it is not a meme. We're only trying to help you improve.

Yes, I agree with this. Joe, you would improve A LOT if you took some time off to make quality maps. You have ideas, just learn to execute those ideas well. Stop rushing your maps, please.

Da Werecat said:

A small map with custom textures and an awsum title. The pictures thread contains some shots.

Just tried to play this in Choco and got the following error on starting a new game:

W_CacheLumpNum: 854733 >= numlumps

On looking at the wiki...

http://doomwiki.org said
W_CacheLumpNum: %i >= numlumps

A request to dynamically cache a particular lump referenced a lump number out of the range of the master WAD directory. This error may especially occur when adding flats to a DOOM PWAD incorrectly, as it causes the game to construct invalid negative lump numbers (in other words, F_START is after F_END).

Da Werecat said:

A small map with custom textures and an awsum title. The pictures thread contains some shots.

Gameplay centered about exploring a realistic environment and picking up bonuses from shelves? Quite awesome experience, even if combat itself was very mild for most of the time. The lift out of the secret area should have been better marked, I thought the map was bugged and the place was inescapable, until I've eventually noticed a minor texture variation. Good job. The textures do wonders when competently used.

Thanks!

scifista42 said:

Gameplay centered about exploring a realistic environment and picking up bonuses from shelves?

Heh, I had a feeling that I went overboard with bonus items (and shelves, for that matter).

durian said:

W_CacheLumpNum: 854733 >= numlumps

Try -merge instead of -file.

@Da Werecat: The only reason it needs -merge is because of a small error in flat loading. If you rename FF_END to F_END, it fixes the problem and lets you use -file.

It's probably worth fixing OR making a note to use -merge in the BotB comment thread, as it's confusing some people into thinking the wad's not vanilla-compatible.