Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

scifista42 said:

As far as I know, the only things that alert monsters are:
-Direct sight (+-90° from the monster's view direction).
-Taking damage (I mean, the monster takes damage).
-Pressing the fire button that the monster can "hear" (in the game's sense of pseudo-sound spreading). Non-deaf monsters will wake up immediately. Deaf monsters will wait until they can see the player (this time 360° all around) before waking up.

Touching monsters wakes them up too.

You're right, that's what I've forgotten. But to be precise, it's not "touching" them that wakes them up, it's simply walking closer than 64 map units to the monster's center. Therefore you cannot wake up larger monsters this way. Indeed, Mancubi and Spiders and even Cyberdemons won't be alerted if you just bump their back.

EDIT: Correction: Cyberdemons will.

FuzzballFox said:

They have very sensitive rear ends.

Exactly - add to that the little green guy with his sordid fisting fetish and you've got one hell of a pain in the butt.
Thus answering such pleasures with a suppository from the launcher may just provide the much needed relief for mr. cyber cheek.

scifista42 said:

You're right, that's what I've forgotten. But to be precise, it's not "touching" them that wakes them up, it's simply walking closer than 64 map units to the monster's center. Therefore you cannot wake up larger monsters this way. Indeed, Mancubi and Spiders and even Cyberdemons won't be alerted if you just bump their back.

EDIT: Correction: Cyberdemons will.

You found that out the hard way didn't you? :D

"let's see if I can -- MOOOO!!! *splatter*

Hmm yeah, looks like the doomguy sprite was pasted into the image. I extracted the graphics and compared the sizes, and the Doomguy is WAY too large, even if you account for it being scaled a little larger than the texture because it's in front:

Curse you id!! You liars!! I want my money back after being fooled by these bullshots!!

Called it.
Modern developers WISH they could so easily photoshop more exciting stuff into their screenshots!

Antroid said:

Modern developers WISH they could so easily photoshop more exciting stuff into their screenshots!

I can't imagine it being very hard to fake it in a modern 3D context. They could play for a bit, encounter a cool scene, freeze it, then move/add/remove/change objects to make it cooler, lastly finding the perfect angle to show the idealized scene. All in-engine rather than in post production, of course.

well the significance of how big he is in the picture may be something, but can you tell through the resolution of that image how close that doomguy is to the player taking the shot? I mean, he obviously doesn't appear to be standing with his back against that marble face as the comparison shot implies.

40oz said:

well the significance of how big he is in the picture may be something, but can you tell through the resolution of that image how close that doomguy is to the player taking the shot? I mean, he obviously doesn't appear to be standing with his back against that marble face as the comparison shot implies.

I would say that he's high-enough on the picture to assume that he's considerably far from the player, and inappropriately big for that distance, therefore I think that Linguica is right. Look at the original "bigger" version of the screenshot to see it better.

I've ran around E2M8 looking for the perfect spot to recreate the image, but could find none. Maybe the columns were different or re-textured at some point? The pistol and the Cyberdemon also seem off. Taken in low detail mode.

Sodaholic said:

I can't imagine it being very hard to fake it in a modern 3D context. They could play for a bit, encounter a cool scene, freeze it, then move/add/remove/change objects to make it cooler, lastly finding the perfect angle to show the idealized scene. All in-engine rather than in post production, of course.

Not all engines can do that... and many more have some post-effects, or just plain old lighting and shadows, which are both already challenging to fake if you just paste a picture of something extra in there. But yeah, I actually forgot that the better engines have had that feature of editing stuff at runtime for a while...

BaronOfStuff said:

Same deal really. You can try it in E1M1 by shooting the Shotgun Guys behind the tech pillars without wandering into their field of view. Sometimes they won't react to being shot.

Due to the sector blocking the line of sight regarding the player they seem to ignore the damage dealt to them.
BUT...
should the sergeant(s) enter a painstate, which he has a high chance of
(-> 180), he automatically is linked into emitting a pain sound and subsequently entering a move state where he, of course, circumvents the sector which blocked his view thus displaying normal behavior towards the aggressor.

All info without warranty - maybe someone experienced may fully unveil this.

Was the Doomguy sprite originally left handed??

Seems likely, given the number of things he does left-handed when you're playing.

Hold the fire button while punching, at the fourth punch stop holding the fire button, see what happens.
Doomguy gets pissed for a moment and becomes neutral again.

joe-ilya said:

Hold the fire button while punching, at the fourth punch stop holding the fire button, see what happens.
Doomguy gets pissed for a moment and becomes neutral again.

Whenever a weapon is out of its "Ready" animation for more than roughly 3 seconds, Doomguy displays his angry face. And he will only revert to his normal face when the weapon goes back to its "Ready" animation.

Woah, where is that Doomguy sprite from exactly? (the one in the promo screenshots)

I looked through the press release and saw the extra gore sprites and looked through the older alphas and saw the full 8-angle rotation for standing still, but where is that particular pose from? Maybe I was just high and didn;t notice them while browsing the alphas?

I derped it. Somehow, I didn't see the sprites while looking at the twitter posts, just the textures. Those extra rotations are amazing! I KNEW they would be out there somewhere while looking at the Alphas years ago.

In Doom II map02, right outside that underground area where you find the blue key, the shotgunguy that is standing next to the barrel won't "wake up". You can run in front of him, touch him, shoot him. He isn't going to budge. I think he is just stuck on/in the barrel tho:

Da Werecat said:

They weren't in the alphas.

They were present for just the A frame, but are useless because the Doomguy sprites were retouched and cleaned up sometime between the 0.5 and press release builds (that and the lack of other frames).

William Blazkowicz said:

I think he is just stuck on/in the barrel tho

No, he's stuck in the wall. If he were stuck in the barrel but not map geometry, he'd be a bit more responsive. Oddly enough, this wasn't a problem in earlier versions of the Doom 2 IWAD. For whatever reason, they slightly shifted the actors around multiple times and it just so happened to get that guy stuck in the wall the last time they did it.

William Blazkowicz said:

In Doom II map02, right outside that underground area where you find the blue key, the shotgunguy that is standing next to the barrel won't "wake up". You can run in front of him, touch him, shoot him. He isn't going to budge. I think he is just stuck on/in the barrel tho:

no, a picture - call the board police

Lots of stuck up people in Map02 it seems... thank god it's not a "singles" bar.

More stuff about MAP02.

This green bar is unpegged.

This one isn't.

The black panels are missaligned horribly.

Both of these pitfalls miss a texture on the step.

If I recall correctly the Map 02 problems were caused by the entire map being shifted a few pixels between versions.