Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Doom the Way Id Did: The Lost Episodes [v1.666]

There appears to be a hall of mirrors effect on the staircase just before the regular exit in E5M3. There was also a bug in E5M3 in the secret where you take the teleporter to get the rocket launcher. If the door closes on you and you are still in the secret area with the box of rockets and the rocket launcher, you are trapped in the room you teleport back and there's no way to open the door to get out, unless you use the noclip cheat.

Another TWID project? First, Doom, then Doom 2, then Final Doom, and now The Lost Episodes. What's next, Doom the Way Id Did: The Master Levels? :D

This is a very old project actually, its the overflow levels from the original DTWID. It keeps getting bumped because that elusive 1.1 just refuses to exist!

I am hoping for TMLTWID though

Ragnor said:

This is a very old project actually, its the overflow levels from the original DTWID. It keeps getting bumped because that elusive 1.1 just refuses to exist!

It's all Marnetmar's fault, really. Been waiting on 1.1 for a long time

T-Rex said:

Another TWID project? First, Doom, then Doom 2, then Final Doom, and now The Lost Episodes. What's next, Doom the Way Id Did: The Master Levels? :D

Obviously, the next DTWID will be Doom 3 the Way id Did.

Or maybe QTWID? If TWID software decides to diversify from the Doom brand, expect Team Management the Way id Did (firing away all but one of the TWID core members) and finally Getting Bought By ZeniMax the Way id Did.

Ragnor said:

This is due to me being a horrifically slow mapper.

How about

Doom 3 The Way id would have 1995

In an alternate universe, Doom 3 got released 1 year after Doom 2, with similar enhancements to it's gameplay, the way doom 2 did with Doom 1's.

Probably being inspired by Heretic, and Hexen. Hub-like levels? More enemies? Jumping allowed?

Marnetmar said:

This is due to me being a horrifically slow mapper.

As long as its done before No Release In Sight. Thats being deliberatly held back till BTSX E3 >____>

Ive been waiting for 1.1 for forever now, but its okay, I still have only finished one map of DTWID

Surprise, folks! DTWID-LE v1.5 is out, and it's got enough updates that we skipped ahead four totally-not-arbitrary version numbers! Gads!

First, some screenshot goodness (click to enlarge, or click the link and remove the "s" at the end if you aren't logged in):

A quick summary of what's new:

• Brand-new maps, recovered from the lost archives or mysteriously pulled from the aether. Check out Darkside Lab, Weeping Hollow, and the notorious Mourning Halls for some fresh new pseudo-TWID!
  • Several more maps got a face-lift, including Sheol's Descent, Demonic Halls, and Babel's Gate. Plenty of new surprises in store now!
  • All maps have difficulty settings now! Probably!
  • Bean Oversight!
Since there are a lot of maps that got modified in "post-production" (i.e. long after submission), there's now an extra wad in the distribution, DTWID-LX.wad, that contains the unmodified versions of the maps (though a few break limits and at least one, E3M4, has no exit). Hopefully that ought to make clear who's done what n' things.

Anyhow, give it a whirl, and let us know what you think! Super-thanks to Alfonzo, Marcaek, and Marnetmar for chipping in on the new version!

E3M2: Manufactorium has a * next to it's name in the text file (indicating there's an older version of it in DTWID-LX.wad), but DTWID-LX.wad contains no E3M2.

There are older, significantly different versions of E1M4: Quarantine Zone, E1M5: Kepler Dorsum, and E2M1: Biosphere that appeared in the beta version of DTWID (Quarantine Zone was called Alienation Zone at the time), it might be worthwhile to add these to DTWID-LX.wad.

Oops -- missed Manufactorium. Thanks for the point-out. :P

And you're right about there being older versions of those maps, but the "updated" versions that appear in LE are the finalized submissions by the original authors, without any post-Xaseredits. Might be worth sneaking them in for fun curiosity, but that might distract from the intent a bit.

IT'S FINALLY DONE <3

EDIT:

nvm

[17:13] <Alfonzo> I dunno marn but only a fool thinks that LE is complete
[17:14] <Alfonzo> it will rage, rage, rage against the dying of the light

I dunno if this is a glitch or I just didn't find the proper way to get there, but anyway:

In E2M3 "Infirmary", you can throw a switch which will temporarily open a secret wall nearby. When entering it, you find a teleporter, but it doesn't do anything. However, it seems to be the only connection to a nearby secret area with a Soulsphere, Plasmarifle and battery ammo. When you noclip there, going through the teleporter in that area leads you to this chamber again, but you cannot go back through the same teleporter.

Spoiler

I am wondering whether this teleporter is supposed to be like this (one-way) or whether it should go both ways. The fact that you can open the wall leading to it with that nearby switch indicates it should be two-way.

That area got resized at some point, and the teleport destination got misplaced. Oops. :P

Fixed for the next release. Thanks for the report!

Found something else:

E5M0 "Starport":
Right at the beginning of the level, the starting teleporter pad is actually functional and returns you to E5M1 "Landing Zone" (where you came from). Since I guess it shouldn't be possible to play the same level twice, you may take a look at that. ^^

[I was using dtwid-le.wad with ZDoom, dunno if it also happens when using the ep.5 standalone wad for Chocolate Doom.]

Other than that, really nice maps so far (speaking about the first four episodes). Especially E4M6 "The Mourning Halls" was quite complex. Took me quite a while to figure out that one. :)

You know what sucks about permissions needed for modification on my map E2M7 "Dark Passage" (and any standalone PD1 maps) I worked on with Marnetmar and Phobosdeimos1? Marn and I can give permission but Phobosdeimos1 can't because he passed away a while ago.

I know he did a small amount of work on the map but it was mostly Marnetmar and I who did the bulk of the work, so what could be done here if someone wanted to alter the map?

Xaser said:

Since there are a lot of maps that got modified in "post-production" (i.e. long after submission), there's now an extra wad in the distribution, DTWID-LX.wad, that contains the unmodified versions of the maps (though a few break limits and at least one, E3M4, has no exit). Hopefully that ought to make clear who's done what n' things.

Honk honk, bump. We'll be playing this in Thursday Night Survival #235 = today = 11th February. You are very welcome for the early notice.

Also, once there is an update, coop starts could perhaps be added to e1m8, e3m9, and e5m5. Not a major thing, but everything is better with coop starts; I put them on my cake for example, yum!

T-Rex said:

Meanwhile, we're still sadly waiting for Episode 4 the Way Id Did. Those guys are such a tease; brilliant screenshots and then nothing for a long while, just the cold winter. Ah, where did I leave that damn bottle...

@rhinoduck: Thanks for the playthrough and report! Got the co-op starts fixed -- other than that, any other issues (especially re:zd compatibility)? I'm planning on slapping on a v1.6 sticker and uploading to /idgames soon, but I want to make sure all the ducks are in a row.

[I'd put all the rhinos in a row too, but they've been a bit tough to corral.]

Xaser said:

@rhinoduck: Thanks for the playthrough and report! Got the co-op starts fixed -- other than that, any other issues (especially re:zd compatibility)? I'm planning on slapping on a v1.6 sticker and uploading to /idgames soon, but I want to make sure all the ducks are in a row.

[I'd put all the rhinos in a row too, but they've been a bit tough to corral.]

:woop:

I dumped the W1 teles in the wad:

e2m8: ok (cyber)
e4m2: only the first player gets punished by being teleported to the segregated area by the W1 tele "trap" before rk, it does not seem to break progression though
e5m3: tele out of slime has w1 linedefs (sector 181)
e6m1: all but one tele are w1 (linedefs 32, 107, 418, 483, 484, 486)

Other "issues":

e2m4: linedef 446 opening the blue armour secret is a non-repeatable W1 lift giving the player only one small chance to notice it and get it (though that may be intentional dickishness?)
e3m5: tag 8 is tied to the stairs near the switch but also to one far away sector (123), I'm curious if this was intentional and what the effect is

Can't tell more without playing it now, and there's nothing I remember from the past. The wad and ZD still like each other fine.

And, yeah... in case you care about dm starts, here's the status:

Spoiler

---E1M1 4
---E1M2 4
---E1M3 7
---E1M4 4
---E1M5 0
---E1M6 10
---E1M7 0
---E1M8 0
---E1M9 9
---E2M1 4
---E2M2 0
---E2M3 17
---E2M4 0
---E2M5 1
---E2M6 0
---E2M7 17
---E2M8 0
---E2M9 4
---E3M1 0
---E3M2 8
---E3M3 3
---E3M4 0
---E3M5 7
---E3M6 0
---E3M7 0
---E3M8 0
---E3M9 0
---E4M1 7
---E4M2 0
---E4M3 5
---E4M4 4
---E4M5 1
---E4M6 0
---E4M7 1
---E4M8 6
---E4M9 7
---E5M0 0
---E5M1 0
---E5M2 0
---E5M3 3
---E5M4 6
---E5M5 0
---E5M6 10
---E5M7 0
---E5M8 0
---E5M9 10
---E6M1 0
---E6M2 4
---E6M3 0
---E6M4 16
---E6M5 0
---E6M6 4
---E6M7 0
---E6M8 8
---E6M9 0

My previous report was incomplete...

More W1 teles:

e2m7: there are three monsters for two W1 tele linedefs in sector 324 making the map impossible to max
e4m6: is the baron near linedef 327 guaranteed to teleport in if it is a W1 tele and the spot is occupied? (could be a hinderance for maxing)
e6m9: the player can get stuck if he hits the tele line before the spiderdemon does; line 167 should be a monster-only tele

Other stuff:

e2m7: line 2916 is missing a backside texture (the last stair when you come up from the bfg and lower the wall)

This probably no longer is a problem anywhere, but there are leftover visual camera things (type 32000) in the following maps: e2m4, e2m6, e2m7, e2m8, e3m1, e3m4, e3m5, e3m9, e4m4, e5m8, e6m2, e6m5, e6m6