Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom II Guy

Editing With ZDOOM

Yep, it's me again. I'm just now realizing what I have been missing with ZDOOM, it can do some cool stuff! However, when I try to open up ZDOOM wads with DEEP, it gives me this crap about it being a Heretic wad. I downloaded WADauthor too, but I can't open up ZDOOM wads. What should I do?

I rather think it said being a wad in Hexen (not Heretic) format. You have to open the file in ZDoom/Hexen mode. AFAIK does Deep come with a config file for ZDoom in Hexen mode, for WadAuthor you can download a config file at the ZDoom page.

AFAIK both editors behave like this, it behaviour bothered me too. An editor should just open the file you want, no questions asked. In WA, if you last used the ZDooM mode, and try to open a regular doom map (or vica versa) you will get this message: "This wadfile requires a different wadgame configuration file.". You must use File|Select Configuration File, after you close all wads.

That's why I made XWE to open anything. The format (doom/hexen) can be easily detected, and the configuration can be changed on the fly.

what they said.... :p

in Deep, just go to options, and select choose game project then open ZDOOM/HEXEN.prj

restart Deepsea and there you go...

DeePsea can open a HEXEN format level in a normal DOOM format project and visa versa. The message is to let you know that the format does not match the current project. (Unlike WA which won't let you open the file at all.) Been that way since 1996:)

There are 2 projects with HEXEN formats, ZDOOMHEXEN and HEXEN (you could make a 3rd for VAVOOM). The others are all stock DOOM format - DOOM1/2,HERETIC, STRIFE and the ports - too many to list here (each project can have a different IWAD) - so it's not as simple as some think.

Now, before you switch to the ZDOOMHEXEN project, convert the DOOM2 IWAD using ZWADCONV and give it some other name - I prefer DOOM2Z.WAD. This becomes the IWAD for the ZDOOMHEXEN project. If you don't, then you'll get a message suggesting the conversion when you startup or IF you look at one of the stock DOOM levels - but other than that not a problem. I suggest you do the conversion.

It's easy: As it says run: ZWADCONV DOOM2.WAD DOOM2Z.WAD

It's possible to change level formats with DeePsea, hence the ability to read "wrong" formats into different projects:) You can make your own new project too - useful if you are working on a special tweak of any port.
========

Btw, for the MIDI->MUS thing, in DeePsea you don't need MID2MUS:
1. Press F7 - select the Merge-Import Tool.
2. Press the Open Target file (this will default to you loaded PWAD)

The default conversion leave MIDI as MIDI (since a lot of ports play this now). For stock DOOM, press Auto Options and select the MUS radio button. Now MIDI will be converted to MUS.

3. Now Press Add Lump files and select the MIDI file you want. There is a 64k limit for MUS. The default lump name is the 1st 8 of the file name.

4. Press Rename Lump if you want to make it some other name.

5. Press Save All Files to finish. You could have added as many files (including stuff like TITLEPIC) as you wanted too.

SSSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttt...I downloaded ZWADCONV but I can't do anything with it since it's run in DOS mode.

Doom II Guy said:

I downloaded ZWADCONV but I can't do anything with it since it's run in DOS mode.

Exactly like the MIDI2MUS thing.

There are 2 ways to do this:
=======================
First method:

1. Go to Start menu, select RUN and type in COMMAND. Now you are in a "DOS box" console mode. In XP, type CMD.

2. go to the folder where ZWADCONV.EXE is located. Do this by typing CD:\folder where folder is the path. For example: CD c:\zdoom

3. Now type ZWADCONV c:\DOOM2\DOOM2.WAD c:\DOOM2\DOOM2Z.WAD (replace c:\doom2\ with your locations.

4. Type Exit.

5. Now press F5 in DeePsea and change the IWAD name to DOOM2Z.WAD

=========================
Second method.

1. Go to Start menu, select RUN and type all at one time the following:

c:\folder\zwadconv.exe c:\doom2\doom2.wad c:\doom2\doom2Z.wad

Replace "folder" and all the other paths with your location.

2. Press OK and now point DeePsea to the new IWAD in the ZDOOMHEXEN project.

hehe.

And then people ask "why do we need front ends?"

For the Dos virgins of course!

Lobo said:

hehe.

And then people ask "why do we need front ends?"

For the Dos virgins of course!

I'm the biggest DOS virgin...ever.