Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PRS\66

turning data to wads

can you convert doom data to doom wads, such as in strain and momento mori and lf you can is there a utility that does this for you.

sometimes when I download doom tcs or wads from the winzip file they ,dont come in the form of wads instead they come as data, lets take strain for instance the files are strain1 strain2 strain3 ect.how do i get these to work on source ports such as zdoom or jdoom I am a newbie to this.thanks

I have never heard of such a thing. All files should have extensions, such as .wad or .txt or something else. If you think you've downloaded a zipped wad and supporting files such as a dehacked patch, they should have the proper extensions. If you are downloading something that has to be "compiled", I think they are called source files, I cannot help you except to say that the download offering should have said that they were source, not wad.

Can you give a URL to such a download as you are having a problem with?

download strain, winzip the files and see if you can get it to work on a source port such as zdoom without downloading into your doom2exe same problem with hacx. anyways thank you for answering these questions and thanks for answering the win 98 illegal question I finaly got a deh patch to work.

I downloaded strain. It has complete instructions in the .txt file, and they are a bit complicated. You have to follow them though, because the unpack.bat file actually strings together the .001 through .004 files and renames them to an .exe. It appears to be a self-extracting zipped file. This was all done to allow strain to be carried around on floppies.

After you've followed the instructions to the point where it has unpacked everything into the strain folder you directed, you will see the strain.wad and the strain.deh files. From there you can play it directly with zdoom using the command
zdoom -file strain.wad -deh strain.deh
I just played through map01, it seems fine.

Don't run the strain.bat file, it will attempt to use dehacked to apply the patch to your doom2.exe. Thank goodness we don't need to do that stuff anymore.

Biffy said:

Don't run the strain.bat file, it will attempt to use dehacked to apply the patch to your doom2.exe. Thank goodness we don't need to do that stuff anymore.

What, you don't want to see doom2.exe try to allocate too much memory on Strain map30?