Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
oblivion

i'd like to contribute

I managed to access the freedoom website for a little bit a few days ago before it went down on me again, and i downloaded the latest wads and looked around a bit. anyway, i'd like to contribute a level or two. who do i get in touch with? thanks :)

Ok well almost all of the doom levels are free except e1m1, e1m8, and I think e2m7.

Here's the doom2 list:

# map	name			status		author
#
MAP01 	entryway		assigned	mmnpsrsoskl 03-13-2002
MAP02	underhalls		assigned	tarin 25/02/02
MAP03	the gantlet		done		sgtcrispy 16/05/02
MAP04	the focus
MAP05	the waste tunnels	assigned	amarande
MAP06	the crusher		done		mystic
MAP07	dead simple		done		tarin
MAP08	tricks and traps
MAP09	the pit			assigned	sgtcrispy 10/5/2002
MAP10	refueling base		assigned	Archvile64 14/04/02
MAP11	'o' of destruction!	done		kaiser
MAP12 	the factory
MAP13	downtown
MAP14	the inmost dens
MAP15	industrial zone	
MAP16	suburbs			done		hyena
MAP17	tenements
MAP18	the courtyard		assigned	zigmundozwell 18/6/2002
MAP19	the citadel
MAP20	gotcha!			done		lazer
MAP21	nirvana			done		amarande
MAP22	the catacombs		assigned	nightmare 17/04/02
MAP23	barrels o' fun		assigned        submerge 20/03/02
MAP24	the chasm		assigned	andrewb 25/02/02
MAP25	bloodfalls	
MAP26	the abandoned mines
MAP27	monster condo
MAP28	the spirit world
MAP29	the living end		done		amarande
MAP30	icon of sin		done		Cacodemon_Leader
MAP31	wolfenstein
MAP32	grosse			done		ajapted
We need to discuss map31/map32 a bit.. I don't think they should be wolfenstein style and I think the existing map32 is too similar to the old one.

I think my e1m8 might fire up some controversy...

hmm, sign me up for map31. also, would i be allowed to use just a few custom textures in my levels? if so, sign me up for map19 as well; otherwise just map31.

wheeeee!

/me fires up deth

oblivion said:

also, would i be allowed to use just a few custom textures in my levels?

No. If you'd be allowed to use your own custom textures, we'd have to allow it to everybody.

boris said:

No. If you'd be allowed to use your own custom textures, we'd have to allow it to everybody.

cool no problemo :)

just map31 then.

Hmm erm ok but I think we should discuss the 'theme' of secret levels before we do them, but ok assigned it.

I've thought about custom textures for levels and.. why not? if a PWAD on top of freedoom replaced TEXTURE1/PNAMES then it would break any levels containing textures not in the replaced lumps sure, but how often do you play from a PWAD to a regular doom level?

Jon said:

I've thought about custom textures for levels and.. why not? if a PWAD on top of freedoom replaced TEXTURE1/PNAMES then it would break any levels containing textures not in the replaced lumps sure, but how often do you play from a PWAD to a regular doom level?

I don't think that's the problem. If we allow custom textures, everybody will want to add their own custom textures, which will result in a totally bloated .wad.
However, if we decide that custom textures are allowed, we should set a limit of custom textures for each person. Maybe something like 5 128x128 textures.

Jon said:

Hmm erm ok but I think we should discuss the 'theme' of secret levels before we do them, but ok assigned it.

theme? cool. what did you have in mind?

KDarigal said:

despayre.org's IP address changed, and most DNS servers haven't updated to reflect it.

do you know the ip?

Custom textures are fine, but try if possible to work with the original textures where you can. We dont want too many new textures as it will bump up the wad size (which will be quite large as it is)

Jon said:

just to clarify jon, i'm waiting for your input on what sort of theme i should do before i start the level.

Thanks, but its not up to me personally :) we need to discuss the whole thing, and be 'we' I mean freedoom contributors.

Fraggle, any ideas? I think the nazi theme isn't very useful. Something original, something that defies the restrictions we are forced to have for the rest of the project (same level 'styles', similar monsters, etc.). There are virtually no serious nazi themed levels for doom2 anyway, and I don't know of any good ones.

Perhaps we could create a new texture set + flats for the secret levels. Anyone any mind-numbingly good ideas?

i see, let me add my thoughts then.

yes, i think the nazi levels are a bad idea, i never liked nazi levels.

even though i originally asked to use custom textures, i now see the wisdom in keeping their use to a minimun; so while some custom textures for the secret levels might be good, not too many would be preferable.

As much as I love answering people's questions, general lazyness just pisses me off. a) you can look at the levels list on the freedoom website, b) the answer is in this very thread.

FYI, my map22 is coming along. I just pasted in a whole load of stuff from a similar themed level of mine that I stopped working on a while back :)

Another thing... Could you possibly assign me E4M1 as well? I've got a pretty nice looking replacement for it in the works. Thanks ;)

MAP10	refueling base		assigned	Archvile64 14/04/02

Eek, I was assigned something?!?!

Hmm, better get cracking, then...

Edit: Can I grab map 28 too, if no one else has taken it since you posted the list?

Do the levels HAVE to resemble the ones being replaced or can I just churn out oldschool DOOM levels? I have this urge to make a bunch of levels, but I just wanna free style them. I just finished remodeling Millenium level 9 some I'm looking for something new to do.

No, really the levels shouldn't resemble the originals at all, apart from small 'hints' or things that a die-hard doom fan would notice and appreciate, but which don't make the level look like a cheap clone.