• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IMJack

One Nation, NOT Under God, Indivisible

Pledge Declared Unconstitutional
Wed Jun 26, 2:36 PM ET
By DAVID KRAVETS, Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that the Pledge of Allegiance is an unconstitutional endorsement of religion and cannot be recited in schools.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned a 1954 act of Congress inserting the phrase "under God" after the words "one nation" in the pledge. The court said the phrase violates the so-called Establishment Clause in the Constitution that requires a separation of church and state.

"A profession that we are a nation `under God' is identical, for Establishment Clause purposes, to a profession that we are a nation `under Jesus,' a nation `under Vishnu,' a nation `under Zeus,' or a nation `under no god,' because none of these professions can be neutral with respect to religion," Judge Alfred T. Goodwin wrote for the three-judge panel.

The court, in the nation's first ruling of its kind, said that when President Eisenhower signed the 1954 legislation, he wrote that "millions of our schoolchildren will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural schoolhouse, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty."

The court noted that the U.S. Supreme Court ( news - web sites) has said students cannot hold religious invocations at graduations and cannot be compelled to recite the pledge. But when the pledge is recited in a classroom, a student who objects is confronted with an "unacceptable choice between participating and protesting," the appeals court said.

"Although students cannot be forced to participate in recitation of the pledge, the school district is nonetheless conveying a message of state endorsement of a religious belief when it requires public school teachers to recite, and lead the recitation of, the current form of the pledge," the court said.

meh, i don't give a shit if i have to say "under god" during the pledge. what i realy hate is people who don't stand up for it. in school, there were kids who didn't,and guess what? they are of arab decent and probaly celebrate 911. i mean, if you don't pledge allegiance to the country that protects you, i say get the fuck out. have fun in the middle east shooting eachother in teh streets everyday instead of going to school or being online or playing sports or having fun etc etc.

i'm not racist towards them, i just hate them cuz they are anti american. i don't have any problem whatsoever with kids or people of arab decent that are also good americans. on the same token i also hate terrorists like the ones that blew up the building in oklahoma.

I'm all for the United States, but I don't think anyone should be forced or looked down apon who does't want to say it (well, that goes for Americans). I personally don't say the pledge, but I stand up as a matter of respect. Period.

It's about time. I only hope that the UK follows suit.

Keeping religion out of schools means that children are bought up with open minds, free of bigotry.

This is just the first step in abolishing religion and making the world a better place for everyone.

Fuckin A! They had to do this 2 weeks after I finaly got out of school. Ah well, I never even stood up for the damn thing, for several reasons. My mom told me I never had to say the 'Under God' part anyway.

Spike said:

This is just the first step in abolishing religion and making the world a better place for everyone.

That statement is just as bigotted as me insiting you have to be catholic.

People have a choice. If they choose to worship god then you have no right to stop them.

Darknation: Religion should be abolished because it causes wars and hatefulness.

(You are a prime example)

Mad_AX666 said:

Darknation: Religion should be abolished because it causes wars and hatefulness.

(You are a prime example)

I've been to church twice in my life. Interestingly enough I still hate you.

the_Danarchist said:

Fuckin A! They had to do this 2 weeks after I finaly got out of school. Ah well, I never even stood up for the damn thing, for several reasons. My mom told me I never had to say the 'Under God' part anyway.

not saying under god is one thing. not standing up is another. by not standing up, you are disrespecting your country. i don't think thats right.

Darknation - please understand that most wars in human history are due to differing religious opinions. This is not an imaginary statistic - it's a plain, simple, in-your-face fact.

September 11?
Israel/Palestine?
Nazie/Jews?
The Crusades?

The list can go on for quite some time. Please think about what you're saying.

9/11 was revenge, and a pure act of terrorism
Israel is purely political
Nazism is intolerant fascism
The Crusades was religious

September the 11th - Bin Laden got the hump with amaerica because they turned against him.

Israel - Palistine: Palistine want's it's territory back.

WWII - The germans suffered a finacial slump, chewed a little sausage and decided to invade Poland.

The Crusades - Happened ages ago

Religion just looks like an excuse, or one factor amounst thousands in a modern diplomatic war.

GS-1719 said:

9/11 was revenge
Israel is purely political
Nazisim is intolerant fascism

you may be right but religion is at the very core of all of those.

Spike said:

The Crusades?

The list can go on for quite some time. Please think about what you're saying.

Your analysis of the Crusades, fought during the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries (1000-1200) is determined by your viewpoint; ie, whether you were Islamic Turk or a Christian European. Also involved was the Byzantine Empire, made up of mostly Eastern Orthodox Christians, who wanted to keep everything like it was with free access to all religions to the Holy Lands. Then there were inhabitants of the Holy Land who saw everyone as an invader. There were four major crusades but many historians list as many as 12.

gatewatcher said:

No, human greed/hornyness/stupidity is at the core of all of these. Being stupidity incarnate you should know this.

gatewatcher said:

American foreign policy is at the core of the first two.

The Nazi's used the Jews as a scapegoat for their propoganda campaigns.

gatewatcher said:

No it wasn't. Religion is an excuse, a vehicle, and a license used by both aggressor and defender/victim. Ditto race and class.

IMJack said:

No it wasn't. Religion is an excuse, a vehicle, and a license used by both aggressor and defender/victim. Ditto race and class.

• so islamic jihad against infedels isn't the cause of 911
  • israels wars aren't faught to defend zionism
  • and WWII, although political also, wansn't partialy fought because of anti-semitism
i don't buy that

darknation said:

Yes, propoganda fed to stupid people works. Behold the proof.

what you call propoganda most people call reality. we live in a time of religious unrest, deal with it.

gatewatcher said:

so islamic jihad against infedels isn't the cause of 911

Nope. They declared jihad because they wanted to chase the white man's influence from their home turf. Religion as vehicle.

israels wars aren't faught to defend zionism

Nope. Political. Religion as excuse.

and WWII, although political also, wansn't partialy fought because of anti-semitism

Exactly. The Jews were a scapegoat used by the Nazis. Religious difference as license. World War 2 was started because the Germans were hurting and bitter after losing WW1, and the Italians and Japanese were hungry for empires of their own.

gatewatcher said:

what you call propoganda most people call reality.

Which is my point dumbass. You can't tell the difference between propoganda / misinformation and fact.

Oh and you are retarded. That too.

darknation said:

WWII - The germans suffered a finacial slump, chewed a little sausage and decided to invade Poland.

Haha...stupid Germany.

IMJack said:

Nope. They declared jihad because they wanted to chase the white man's influence from their home turf. Religion as vehicle.

because the western ways of life are turning most muslims away from the old ways of practicing islam to newer more modern ways.

Nope. Political. Religion as excuse.

how is religion an excuse if thats what zionism is based on?

Exactly. The Jews were a scapegoat used by the Nazis. Religious difference as license. World War 2 was started because the Germans were hurting and bitter after losing WW1, and the Italians and Japanese were hungry for empires of their own.

well, the jews were blamed by the nazis for economic depression so you make sense in that they are a scapegoat and hitlers views on the jewish religion were distorted so you have changed my view on ww2.

Doom II Guy said:

Haha...stupid Germany.

Wrong. Any country that has been reduced to bare bones twice and rose twice form the ashes to become one of the major powers in europe can hardly be stupid.

darknation said:

Which is my point dumbass. You can't tell the difference between propoganda / misinformation and fact.

Oh and you are retarded. That too.

DN, get over yourself. because you have an opinion on something doesn't mean that your opinion is the correct one. hence, i disagree with you and your "religion being a vehicle" opinion.

I never said mine was correct. I said your opinion was retarded. I'm basing this on analylis of your previous arguements, which were also retarded. My future trend models reveal that this will continue to be the case until some friendly passing surgeon reverses your lobotomy.