Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

How do cacodemons fly?

Ichor said:

Cacodemon don't fly. They remain stationary while the entire universe moves around.

How does this work when two Cacodemons fly in different directions?

Shadow Hog said:

Error: Cannot load Brain.exe

Shadow Hog said:

It's simple, really: each cacodemon is part of the other cacodemon's universe.

Shadow Hog said:

They push each other.

Piper Maru said:

I wonder if Cacodemons are always floating around or can they roll around on the ground like a ball?

This needs to be included in Brutal Doom, along with a wall rebound mode.

Memfis said:

How do cacodemons fly if they have no wings? They need some way to gain momentum and stay up in the air.

Their gravity is relevant to the centre of hell, thus making them gravity immune everywhere else.

Piper Maru said:

I wonder if Cacodemons are always floating around or can they roll around on the ground like a ball?

If you had the ability to fly, would you ever roll on the ground in front of other people to move from place A to place B? I guess you wouldn't, and so wouldn't a Cacodemon.

Shadow Hog said:

This explains why the universe is expanding.

CODOR said:

This explains why the universe is expanding.

UP NEXT: Doomguy vs the Expansion Of The Universe IN SPACE. A map of epic scale (well...just 64x64 k^2 units with a 32k tall ceiling but whatever), where OVER 9000 modified cacodemons (made to look like galaxies) floating in the void fly away from him (rolling over map borders), and he must kill them all, while new ones continuously spawn. Truly, a battle of COSMIC proportions, putting a new meaning to GOD MODE.

scifista42 said:

If you had the ability to fly, would you ever roll on the ground in front of other people to move from place A to place B? I guess you wouldn't, and so wouldn't a Cacodemon.

You wouldn't be curious?

scifista42 said:

I can imagine a Cacodemon just rolling across the ground out of sheer boredom, it must be a real hell waiting around in one spot for a human to show up. They're literally motionless when they're not actively engaging something and I doubt that's just an engine limitation. XD

MetroidJunkie said:

They're literally motionless when they're not actively engaging something and I doubt that's just an engine limitation. XD

Well, Cacodemons and Pain Elementals are the only monsters that absolutely don't move in their idle state, as opposed to the constant cha-cha dance of other monsters / flaming of a lost soul; not counting hanged Commander Keen and Romero's head on a stick. As they (Cacodemons and PEs) are just head-balls, they probably take pleasure from a peaceful motion-less rest and saving energy. But if their flight is actually enabled by a regulated gas lighter than air inside their body (or even magic), I still think that using it for flight would be both easier and more comfortable than rolling on the ground.

scifista42 said:

Well, Cacodemons and Pain Elementals are the only monsters that absolutely don't move in their idle state, as opposed to the constant cha-cha dance of other monsters / flaming of a lost soul; not counting hanged Commander Keen and Romero's head on a stick. As they (Cacodemons and PEs) are just head-balls, they probably take pleasure from a peaceful motion-less rest and saving energy. But if their flight is actually enabled by a regulated gas lighter than air inside their body (or even magic), I still think that using it for flight would be both easier and more comfortable than rolling on the ground.

I wasn't referring to comfort, I was referring to them maybe just rolling on the ground for the hell of it out of sheer boredom. I imagine even demons would find it incredibly dull just standing there in one spot forever. XD

Cacodemons don't really fly, they just make you believe they do with their evil hypnotic gaze.

It might not make sense for them to roll if they can fly, but we all know that if there are multiple methods to achieve something, then different people will take either method...it would be the same for the demons, if they could roll then it stands to reason that some of them would...efficient or not, some will do it even if just for fun like said before.

But it's a shame they can't roll but it would be cool to see a breed that can do so.

Xegethra said:

But it's a shame they can't roll but it would be cool to see a breed that can do so.

Rolling would make sense for a blunt force attack or as part of a heavy damage/death animation -sounds like a Brutal Doom thing, either way,

Someone should make additional Cacodemon sprite rotations that show him not only from horizontal angles, but also various vertical angles - for example a top-down view, tilt to front 45° vertically, tilt to front 45° vertically viewed from 45° horizontal angle, etc. Given that he's sphere-shaped, it shouldn't be that difficult - although I'm no sprite artist to judge it or even consider making it happen.

Maes said:

Rolling would make sense for a blunt force attack or as part of a heavy damage/death animation -sounds like a Brutal Doom thing, either way,

This sound wonderful. Maybe I shoulld include this in my own brütal doom mod once I'm done drawing the naked arachnotrons that is.

How heavy do you guys think a Cacodemon might be? If they were pretty hefty, I imagine them rolling over you would hurt. Enough to trigger the ouch face.

Piper Maru said:

How heavy do you guys think a Cacodemon might be? If they were pretty hefty, I imagine them rolling over you would hurt. Enough to trigger the ouch face.

Especially if they ram those spikes into you.

Piper Maru said:

Food for thought: A Cacodemon might be so heavy that it would be painful for himself if he was rolling. Maybe not enough to drain his health, but enough to trigger his ouch pain animation.

Generally, I think he is somewhat heavy. Just look how much inertia he has when you shoot him. And you cannot push him by simply bumping your body into him.

Perhaps the inertia is from their bodies absorbing the full impact of each shot? That might explain why it takes quite a few rounds to take one out, really tough skin.

According to DEHACKED, the player (and most human-size enemies too) has body mass 100, and the Cacodemon has 400. Therefore we can say that he's four times heavier than an average human. :)