Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood coming soon!!!

I wish they'd just stick to more traditional weapons with few sci-fi weapons like with RTCW.

I've watched the stream and I think people who liked TNO will enjoy it. I'm staying away from it though. Yesterday I tried replaying TNO and I didn't even finish the first level. I can't stand this game.

Shaviro said:

HEY HO I'M IN GIBRALTAR. WOAH NOW I'M ON THE MOON. NOW IN LONDON. NOW IN BERLIN. Two or three overall locations would have been sufficient and much more rewarding.

I actually like it when games take you through a ton of different settings. It really gives a strong sense of having moved far away from your starting point by the time you're close to the end of the game. I've always felt this held true for games that used a lot of environments and settings, from the id Tech 1 era up until now.

I see your point, in that you move around a lot in TNO, as opposed to anything that feels more like a linear fashion, but I still love when games have that type of variety. I don't want to feel as though I've been trudging through the same environment or setting for 10 levels.

I like that diversity as well. Something that is missing from a lot of games. With TNO though, I feel it got to a point where the free-roaming started to seriously undermine the "NAZI IRON GRIP" setting previously established. By the end of the game they're driving from London to Berlin (I believe) completely uncontested.

It's not about too many locations really but how they just toss the player left and right. It's seems to me like they did this just for the sake of 'variety', because it feels jarring, the pieces don't really fit. Maybe they were going for a super epic struggle against the Nazis but in the end it just felt like they had to cut levels to ship.

I didn't watch the second part but the part where he enters the castle has some really good gameplay. I love how the supersoldier just comes out of the blue and starts pummeling you. Very much reminds me of the Barons from Doom...only with a hitscanner weapon. Imagine a Baron with a chaingun in his hand and you have a very scary enemy. The fact that a non boss character can be so powerful is very refreshing. I am really tired of generic soldiers with slight variations everywhere.

Wish there were more projectile-based enemies though. One of the key rules of old shcool shooters is that most enemies are not hitscanners. That is why speed is so useful in Doom. Would have liked to see a supersoldier variant that fires three rockets in succession. That way they could be used in a variety of interesting situations.

Guns sound fantastic as well. Meaty and loud. Hope the weapons in Doom 4 are even better.

So the trophies/achievements lists are out and... (click at your own risk obviously)

Spoiler

looks like Hans Grosse is back

Looking forward to play it tonight at 00:00

Clonehunter said:

So this is just over writing the others? Or is Grosse just back because 'suwper scienece'?

Gee, thanks for the spoiler...

Clonehunter said:

So this is just over writing the others? Or is Grosse just back because 'suwper scienece'?

if you've played TNO, you'd know that "Nightmare Levels" are you essentially dreaming about your past, which is Wolfenstein 3D, complete with the old graphics and new-old recorded lines for the nazis. which is a bit confusing, because apparently Hans Grosse is alive in Wolfenstein 2009, and this game does take some things from that game's story into TNO (as well as Return to Castle Wolfenstein.)

You wouldn't believe who I found! Still haven't guessed? It's Hissy! I won't tell you where I found her though! :D

hardcore_gamer said:

The trailer looked stupid as fuck. Why the goofy presentation? It's a massive contrast to the serious and dark presentation of the original game.

I think you have a selective memory.

So I finished it. Took me 10-12 hours. I've been playing since the second it was activated non stop. For a 20$ Expandalone this is mighty good content. I think it's a steal at this price. It puts games like The Order 1866 to shame. Great weapon variety, LOTS of secrets (they even put in the "You have found a secret" message in), plenty of alternative paths and very varied environments. If you liked last year's New Order you should get this. This is a proper game with new stuff, not some half-assed DLC.

Just completed it myself, not bad, not bad at all. I would recommend everyone play it sometime. I'm sure it will be on sale for pennies next year anyhow. I always loved the weird Nazi occult nonsense. The stealth sections at the start were a bit frustrating but once you get over that the pace picks up.

However the whole Wolfenstein timeline is confusing as hell now. Old Blood is prequel to New Order. New Order is sequel to Wolf2009. Wolf2009 is sequel to RTCW... but Old Blood is possibly a partial reboot of RTCW? And lets not even get started on where the older games fit in, if they do at all? I guess the Nazis destroyed the timeline itself with their scientific/occult meddlings.

I don't think there's much consistency between the entries. But I've read someone talk about the 'correct' order of all the games. I think chronologically Spear of Destiny is the earliest one. Then, Nocturnal Missions (E4,5,6) and only after that we've got the original Wolfenstein 3D (E1,2,3). Wolfenstein 2009 is a sequel to RTCW and in RTCW Hitler is still alive (I think?) which would place it somewhere before E3.

Best bet would be to assume that RTCW was a reboot of the series and TNO is another reboot so they're not connected.

Touchdown said:

I don't think there's much consistency between the entries. But I've read someone talk about the 'correct' order of all the games. I think chronologically Spear of Destiny is the earliest one. Then, Nocturnal Missions (E4,5,6) and only after that we've got the original Wolfenstein 3D (E1,2,3).

Don't forget that ROTT was originally a sequel to E3, meant to be 4 episodes. The Triad was originally conceived as the cult behind Hitler and the Nazi party (who were merely their puppets), formed and operated by three international corporations. Of course, it's up to BJ to stop their evil plans to nuke the western world if the Allied nations don't give into the Axis powers.

But, id pulled the rights and it never was. The ROTT we did get kicked ass, but the old plot was cooler IMO. It sounded like a really nice followup to Wolf 3D.

I've been tempted to make an interpretive TC for ECWolf, but I'm already busy with some experimental Quake-style brush compiler for UDMF format maps and the game it's for!

Touchdown said:

Wolfenstein 2009 is a sequel to RTCW and in RTCW Hitler is still alive (I think?) which would place it somewhere before E3. Best bet would be to assume that RTCW was a reboot of the series and TNO is another reboot so they're not connected.

Unless it goes like this?

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein (2009)
Wolfenstein: The New Order

But, I don't know anything about any of those games' lores, continuities or timelines, so that's just a guess based on what very little I know about each one's story.

RtCW was a reboot, disregarding the 90s titles. W2k9 was a sequel, and it looked like TNO was sequel, because I remember reading promo material for TNO that actually mentions the zeppelin crash with Deathshed at the end of W2k9 being the reason for Deathshed's personality adjustment ("He's much happier, now"). Old Blood is either some reboot then, a confusing sequel to RtCW or W2k9, or it's it's own thing.

It is possible that this is a sequel to Wolf 3D and a reimagining of RTCW (meaning not a sequel) because news clips reference B.J wounding Hitler before.

DooM_RO said:

So I finished it. Took me 10-12 hours. I've been playing since the second it was activated non stop. For a 20$ Expandalone this is mighty good content. I think it's a steal at this price. It puts games like The Order 1866 to shame. Great weapon variety, LOTS of secrets (they even put in the "You have found a secret" message in), plenty of alternative paths and very varied environments. If you liked last year's New Order you should get this. This is a proper game with new stuff, not some half-assed DLC.

That's pretty damn impressive considering this day and age, and the Hissy easter egg is a nice reference to not just Doom but the Doom community as a whole.