Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

3DO Doom FMV pictures

I remember reading an article back in the 90's about a Doom movie being vaguely discussed with Id, and they quoted Id as having said something along the lines of "we'd rather wait and see if Doom has the lasting power for a sincere movie effort to be made, rather than a half-assed cash-in that won't do the franchise justice." Cue bitter laughter.

Anyway, the article was accompanied by this gory image, which I stumbled upon while doing useless research for the revenant theories thread. Has this picture been discussed here previously? What the hell is it from, and is it actually Doom-related art?

I have seen this picture back in the 90ies too, as an example for the planned FMV sequences for the 3DO port of Doom.

Welp, time to dig around for that costume and its last known whereabouts now. Maybe the long lost Dildo Game Convention Setup for Doom II described in Masters of Doom will also reveal itself!

cybdmn said:

I have seen this picture back in the 90ies too, as an example for the planned FMV sequences for the 3DO port of Doom.

HOLY SHIT WHAT

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.video.advocacy/qPzQTUTkRs8/ju_q_dLTie4J

Then again, if 3DO Doom at all resembles the FMV I saw for it at the
Art Data Booth, jag fans have >nothing< to worry about, it will suck,
and it will suck royally... Maybe they'll go the route of Crystal
Dynamics and add hecklers to their own FMV...

Imagine FMV with the acting quality of _Baywatch_ and the special FX
of _Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea_. Yes, it was that bad, and
no Pamela Anderson to distract you from its failings, just a wimpy
Darrien Lambert look and feelalike as "Our Hero"...

fffff

I like dog!pinky demon better than real pinky demon. He looks like he can actually accomplish something here, as opposed to just falling on his face if he ever stops running. It's a shame this little guy never made the cut, those cutscenes would've been hilariously cheesy no doubt.

This really looks like the Minotaur having his revenge on Theseus, and it's as stock as it gets. Oooowwww, scary guy in bloody minotaur costume!

Jaxxoon R said:

Do you not see the BROWN96 behind them?

I do. It looks like a magazine scan of the game being post-projected on a green-screen background.

Clonehunter said:

Any clues as too where the costumes are now?

Garbage. Anything utilizing latex turns to shit quick.

I still remember what happened to Hoggle. All those years abandoned in a suitcase screwed him up real bad.

Maybe they really had in mind a sort of Doom-based FMV/rail shooter, of the kind that plagued the Sega CD, the 3DO, and the "multimedia PCs" at the time?

Maes said:

Maybe they really had in mind a sort of Doom-based FMV/rail shooter, of the kind that plagued the Sega CD, the 3DO, and the "multimedia PCs" at the time?

As a 3DO enthusiast, I'm pretty sure they just intended to add FMV intermissions, intros, and outros, like for almost every other game on the console. Still woulda been cool to see.

Looks like absolute shit, and I love it for that. It wouldn't look out of place on an 80's low budged horror movie.

cybdmn said:

There were at least three images. :-D

Shiiieeet

I like how they wanted to add bonus material like FMV, but weren't ambitious enough to add actual gameplay content. In fact, the project ultimately swung in the opposite direction, resulting in one of the worst Doom ports in existence. Even SNES Doom made better use of available resources and was an actual successful moonshot.

Job said:

I like how they wanted to add bonus material like FMV, but weren't ambitious enough to add actual gameplay content. In fact, the project ultimately swung in the opposite direction, resulting in one of the worst Doom ports in existence.

You just summarized the entire FMV movement of 90's gaming.

I'd love a version of Doom crammed full of dumb Resident Evil-esq live action cutscenes. What a bizarre idea that was, however entertaining it became.

Though, on the other hand, I can imagine some game far in the future hosting itself as photo-realistic and using live-action prerendered cutscenes that are nearly seamless with the actual game. Sort of a form of bragging rights, yeah?

You know, like Final Fantasy 7 or something.

Jaxxoon R said:

I'd love a version of Doom crammed full of dumb Resident Evil-esq live action cutscenes. What a bizarre idea, that was, however entertaining it became.

Though, on the other hand, I can imagine some game far in the future hosting itself as photo-realistic and using live-action prerendered cutscenes that are nearly seamless with the actual game. Sort of a form of bragging rights, yeah?

You know, like Final Fantasy 7 or something.

Or Night Trap?

No, that would be an FMV Game. I mean a legit photo-realistic video game showing off how real it looks by using live action cutscenes that could easily be confused for the ingame assets.

I just mentioned FF7 because it used the ugly popeye-armed overworld models in the FMVs in an attempt to make the transition more seamless, so it was kind of a similar idea.

LOL, where the hell did you find these?

Also, the second one doesn't look identical to the pic in the OP, wtf?

Linguica said:

Also, the second one doesn't look identical to the pic in the OP, wtf?

The OP picture might be a magazine scan of the 2nd picture.