Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In an effort to bump up my post count another notch, I've decided to create a bit of hype for Space Station Omega, the map I've been working on (for ZDoom) every now and then since December. Those who remember my starbox example wad might be pleased to know that it's a huge extension of that map to be a single player map. How huge? Current statistics for the map are:
linedefs: 11745 sidedefs: 19844 verticies: 9525 sectors: 2561
As you might expect if you've played my maps, I haven't left the scripting side untouched, and as a result I've got something for this WAD which should stand above the crowd - scripted interactive dialogue system sound big enough to do the job? The script source file takes up 51kb on my hard drive (most of which is speech). I hope to have another 500 sectors, another 10kb of scripting, and quite a few more monsters than are currently in there by this Saturday, at which point I will upload it to /newstuff (Saturday Australian time btw, which means it'll prolly be uploaded late Friday/very early Saturday for the Americans among us).
Moral of the story: score 1 for GooberMan's post count, and listen to my hype if you feel like listening to it.

NiGHTMARE said:

Or just an incredibly detailed one.

Or quite detailed and pretty big.
Sounds great.

In the maps I've released, I haven't gotten gameplay wrong yet (well, you'd have to know MAP01 of Doom Arcade backwards to complete it on UV, but I designed UV to challenge me and I can still get my ass kicked on it), and I have no intention of fucking up gameplay now.
Detail, it's no Vrack or Europa, but most of the sectors are involved in detail. Having said that, there's still quite a bit of floorspace to traverse and play around with (and not only that, you don't even have to visit alot of it to complete the map). I've got a few old pics (read: taken 3 months ago) up at the moment, but they're at 800x600 and IIRC that breaks the forum rules. Images are here (a pic of a corridor junction), here (a pic of the choice selection system), and here (the above junction after disaster strikes).

so you were that close to seeing a sneak preview... :P if ZETH would behave I could have the map finished by tomorrow night :)

looks pretty good, but the colors in the screenshots are quite washed out (too bright).

GooberMan said:

so you were that close to seeing a sneak preview... :P

Ha, so very true.

Well it looks like you have put some very hard work into this, and it will rule!

Now if I only could script like that...

To me, the hard part is making maps that don't look like shit. Scripting is easy, manipulating vertexes to make a half-way decent-looking map is the fun part. I don't have a scripting site up, and don't intend on having one. All script sources are available inside the WAD however (for every map I've released, and for every map I will ever release) so if you want to know how I did something you can open it up and have a look.

3 words:

Sweet, Sweeter, The most sweetest

me learn need grammar, no count good

RailGunner said:

slopes work on boom. I accidently played a zdoom level that featured slopes on mbf and the level worked.

try again tardboy

RailGunner said:

there were No errors when i played it in MBF. it was slow though.

slopes do not work in boom or mbf. if it played the level (very probable that it would work), it would not display the slopes because it doesnt understand how to interpret them, let alone play them. I know what I'm talking about.

RailGunner said:

well there were no textures for the slopes. just crisscross lines.

NO. BOOM AND MBF DO NOT SUPPORT SLOPES IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. IT WOULD DISPLAY ANY SLOPED SECTORS WITH NO SLOPE AND NORMAL TEXTURING.

ZDoom was the first port to support true slopes. To my knowledge, VaVoom is the only other port that does slopes now (apart from the obvious ZXDoom that X-Doom is working on). What you have there is something level designers have been doing for Doom for years now - finding a hack (invisible sectors spaced evenly and always 1 unit higher than the previous) and using it.