Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astewart41

Doom2 for Half-Life

Hey everyone, I haven't been here for a while because of recent events going on in my life, and the fact that I'm busy but I bring good tidings to the Doom community. I am doing a Total Conversion for Half-Life, of Doom2! Using WadAuthor, Wally, and WorldCraft, I am going to recreate Doom2 in a 3D motif with extras in Half-Life, first doing a Deathmatch pack, and the original Single play missions. I have so far done Map01, though it's going to be re-done with textures, and Map02 is in the works. I need modelers though, so if anyone can model me some weapons, please contact me through MSN at Astewart41@hotmail.com, or through AIM at AJS2254. I also need DLL work done for the weapon and monster coding, if you can do so, please contact me. :)

Wish me luck, I know when this is complete, you'll all like the results.

One more thing, I'm 100% serious about this, I won't stop until it's done.

...Gimme some insight and ideas...?

It's extremly possible for someone to do a ultimate doom conversion for duke nukem. A program called Wad2Duke morphs all of the levels from doom to duke. It came with the cd of the level guide book for duke. I already have the textures of doom. Unfotunatly, there is some major ai hacking to do.

Astewart41 said:

Hey everyone, I haven't been here for a while because of recent events going on in my life, and the fact that I'm busy but I bring good tidings to the Doom community. I am doing a Total Conversion for Half-Life, of Doom2! Using WadAuthor, Wally, and WorldCraft, I am going to recreate Doom2 in a 3D motif with extras in Half-Life, first doing a Deathmatch pack, and the original Single play missions. I have so far done Map01, though it's going to be re-done with textures, and Map02 is in the works. I need modelers though, so if anyone can model me some weapons, please contact me through MSN at Astewart41@hotmail.com, or through AIM at AJS2254. I also need DLL work done for the weapon and monster coding, if you can do so, please contact me. :)

Wish me luck, I know when this is complete, you'll all like the results.

One more thing, I'm 100% serious about this, I won't stop until it's done.

...Gimme some insight and ideas...?

You Heretic1 :) After this, why don't do a Half-Life for Doom2 TC?

DooMBoy said:

You Heretic1 :) After this, why don't do a Half-Life for Doom2 TC?

Thats just silly.

I actually think the idea is kinda cool. Too bad I lost my HL cd.
What about the models from JDoom? You might be able you use those.

Cool, keep it up, but make sure you get permission from ID Software. Does anyone know if there's a utility to quickly convert a Doom PWAD map to a Half-Life map, without bothering with changing textures and weapons etc.? I really wanna play dw5m14 (mainly) in Half-Life or even Counter-Strike if possible.

Assmaster: buy Half-Life Generation. It has Half-Life, Opposing Force, Counter-Strike and Blue Shift (as long as you get the Blue Shift edition) on it. It only costs £20 in the UK!! Dunno where you live though.

By the way, who here plays Counter-Strike, and what is your name on it?

SlayeR said:

The Doom 2 levels sux0r IMO.

Rubbish! Doom 2 kicks Doom's arse any day!

since similar projects have been shut down before because of copyright issues, you should carefully consider those before you get yourself into something like this.

Yeah, be careful, Astewart.

Erik, look at the GreenWar.wad thread. Nobody knows me :(

By the way, mouthwash isn't too poisonous is it? Cos I just swallowed almost a mouthful.

Well, good idea with making a doom2 tc for half-life. But still, will it work?. I mean will it still be doom, or just half-life with marines and doom monsters. Because most of the textures in doom is 128x128, and these in half-life are 256x256, so the levels will look weird, I think. But I wish you good luck... :D

One thing concerning the copyright issue:

Copyrights expire after 7 years and therefore one can use any part of the game, provided they credit ID. However I am still going to ask for permission.

ID has, countless times, released SDK's and source on the Doom and Doom2 engines.

I converted the Doom2 textures to a Half-Life .wad3 package. All I have to do now is make sure they're all scaled in multiples of 16.

Don't ask me for maps because I still cannot legally provide them until I have ID's express permission.

Stop being so negative. :)

Edit: The concept of Doom2 in Half-Life seems to be ringing in a lot of negative criticism towards me, and I really don't have time to be flamed, so if someone would like to help me out, please just get to it, this project will NOT be shut down. I am going to continue working
regardless of whether I have permission, not to be disrespectful but by only working, I am not doing anything illegal. I will not be present at the DW forums again for a long time otherwise, so I would appreciate a little help if it's possible.

And to the comment about JDoom models - They are .md2 format, Half-Life uses the .Mdl format. If someone can convert them, I'd appreciate that very much so.

See you all later,
Andy

Astewart41 said:

One thing concerning the copyright issue:

Copyrights expire after 7 years and therefore one can use any part of the game, provided they credit ID. However I am still going to ask for permission.

No it doesn't.

Copyrights never expire, well they do, but that is 75 years after the author of the program dies.

1. With Doom 3 coming, I would be very very surprised if id gave you permission for this Half-Life thing.
2. As the man with the goofy name said, copyrights expire in 75 years after the creator's death, not 7.
3. There was a "Duke Meets Doom" TC. It sucked. Big time.
4. I feel asleep with mouth wash in my (surprise) mouth once and swallowed it. I'm still here (I think) but you're probably using a different brand so you may die yet, sorry.

Thank you and good night.

Well, if you create your own textures, don't use any materials found in Doom 1 or 2 at all, and stay away from copyrighted names (ask ID for exact details, I believe that Doom is trademarked) you should be fine.

It'd be a hell of a lot of work though.

Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 maps have been recreated for Quake 2 before(find them here), whether it was done legally or not is another question. The .map files are available too, so perhaps you can bug the author for permission to convert them to Half-Life.

EDIT: Hmmmz, the links aren't working atm by the looks of things. I downloaded E1 .bsp's way back when I first found the page.

Astewart41 said:

Stop being so negative. :)

Edit: The concept of Doom2 in Half-Life seems to be ringing in a lot of negative criticism towards me, and I really don't have time to be flamed, so if someone would like to help me out, please just get to it, this project will NOT be shut down.

Heh, I'm all for it, it's a great idea. Can't see why so many Doomers hate Half-Life so much. It poses no threat to Doom in the way of deathmatching - Doom DM will always be better than Half-Life DM and DM Classic. I would help you, but I don't have a clue how to model or anything. I'm glad you're gonna carry on.

JoelMurdoch said:

I feel asleep with mouth wash in my (surprise) mouth once and swallowed it. I'm still here (I think) but you're probably using a different brand so you may die yet, sorry.

ROFL, well done. Nah, I think this brand is just as safe as the one you used, since I swallowed it yesterday and I'm still alive today, heh :)

Livo said:

It'd be a hell of a lot of work though.

Fuck that. Carry on anyway. Some Doomers may not like it, but I think a lot of people will praise you for it when you finish.

Me, Todd Hollenshead, and John Carmack discussed the copyright issue, and they do NOT want us to use the Doom2 copyright materials, however, the project is going on, just that it's not Doom2 and Doom2 textures will not be used.

Here is a transcript of the emails I wrote, and the replies.

(Me)At 10:47 PM 7/5/2002 +0000, you wrote:

Greetings!

My name is Andrew Stewart, I have to admit I'm an id fanatic, so as a tribute to the GREAT contributions you guys at id have made to the gaming community, I have contemplated a new project entitled "Doom2K2 - A Tribute" which is a total conversion for Half-Life of Doom2. The question I have for you two, is may I have your permission to use your copyrighted material for this project? The copyrighted materials in question are textures, levels, and monster likenesses (By likenesses I mean 3 Dimensional Half-Life format .mdl's).

(John Carmack)
Media that you are creating by hand, like levels and monster models, are probably ok, but textures and sounds that are just converted are probably not. Ask Todd <Email Address removed> if you want an official legal ruling.

In the past, we have had to tell people no on these things even between our own titles, and moving any media to half-life is probably worse. I would recommend that you chose a less touchy project to undertake.

I really dislike having to discuss intellectual property issues, because I don't necessarily agree with the stances we are strongly encouraged to take.

John Carmack

(Me - same email forwarded to Todd Hollenshead)
Greetings!

My name is Andrew Stewart, I have to admit I'm an id fanatic, so as a tribute to the GREAT contributions you guys at id have made to the gaming community, I have contemplated a new project entitled "Doom2K2 - A Tribute" which is a total conversion for Half-Life of Doom2. The question I have for you two, is may I have your permission to use your copyrighted material for this project? The copyrighted materials in question are textures, levels, and monster likenesses (By likenesses I mean 3 Dimensional Half-Life format .mdl's).

(Todd Hollenshead)
We wouldn't grant that sort of permission for a number of reasons related to copyright and trademark concerns. But even if all of those issues could be addressed, we're still not interested in seeing DOOM II created inside another game. We like DOOM II the way it is.

tsh

-- Well there you have it folks, but the mod isn't dead yet. The mod will just not be using proprietary INTELLECTUAL id property, however, this mod is still dedicated to id. I love those guys. I'll keep you people updated on the going on of this project.

Astewart41 said:

*emails to and from id*

Heh, seems like Carmack kinda liked the idea and wanted to say yes.

I just cummed knowing that I actually talked to those two. :) Well I'm already working on Hell on Earth (changed mod) so this one will be promising.

You guys will like it.

MaTT [TiK] said:

Rubbish! Doom 2 kicks Doom's arse any day!

Then how come I almost never play Doom 2 anymore, but still play lost of the original Doom 1 maps?
Could it be because I find that Doom 1 has better maps?
Yeah, I think so.
Doom 2's maps is just some thrown-together crap - now if the levels looked more like the locations that they're supposed to be, then I might like them some more - oh yeah, and the hordes of monsters just gets repetitive after a while, making the monsters seem overly weak and pathetic, whereas in Doom 1 you're kinda "cheated" to think that the monsters are more dangerous.

I think it sounds like a cool idea so keep working, I`m looking forward to see it! :)

Would be good if you could put up a homepage so we can stay updated on this project.

dsm said:

Then how come I almost never play Doom 2 anymore, but still play lost of the original Doom 1 maps?
Could it be because I find that Doom 1 has better maps?
Yeah, I think so.
Doom 2's maps is just some thrown-together crap - now if the levels looked more like the locations that they're supposed to be, then I might like them some more - oh yeah, and the hordes of monsters just gets repetitive after a while, making the monsters seem overly weak and pathetic, whereas in Doom 1 you're kinda "cheated" to think that the monsters are more dangerous.

Ok, you win. Actually, now you've said that, I realise that I agree with all of it. But I still like the added features in Doom II, e.g. the new monsters.

MaTT [TiK] said:

Ok, you win. Actually, now you've said that, I realise that I agree with all of it. But I still like the added features in Doom II, e.g. the new monsters.

Agreed on that :-)