Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SteelPH

why does everyone steal flats, textures, sounds, and sprites from hexen and heretic?

gah! i think its a bid ridiculous, almost every wad ive played stole some hexen and heretic flats and textures, even sounds and sprites. :/

footman said:

gah! i think its a bid ridiculous, almost every wad ive played stole some hexen and heretic flats and textures, even sounds and sprites. :/

ive seen a bit of strife stealage too in my time.

footman said:

almost every wad ive played stole some hexen and heretic flats and textures, even sounds and sprites

You mustn't have played that many wads then... I'll agree though, quite a few do take graphics from other games. It all boils down to the fact that there aren't that many texture artists that still actively contribute to the Doom community, and as a result, map makers/modders take stuff from other games if it suits the look they're going for.

footman said:

Gah! I think it's a bid ridiculous, almost every wad I've played stole some Hexen and Heretic flats and textures, even sounds and sprites. :/

I don't mind it, I think the Heretic/HeXen textures look pretty cool if used in a good way (an Episode 2 level/Episode replacement, or an E3 or 4 level/Episode replacement).
EDIT: I took the liberty of correctly capitalizing, punctuating, and spelling everything wrong in your quote :-P

Hahaha Doomboy, you can be Doomworld's "Mr. Clean" and tidy up a bunch of sloppy posts! :D

it's the only way to have a good medieval wad. when it comes to strife, the doom2050 wad did a horrible job splatting in the enemies from strife into doom.

DooMBoy said:

I took the liberty of correctly capitalizing, punctuating, and spelling everything wrong in your quote :-P

Frankly, I don't think anyone really gives a flying fuck, I sure don't. :/

well, I use some textures from Hexen/Heretic.

AV.wad uses it.

TeamTNT uses it. Don't see any harm if we do it...

can we say copyright infringement?(ok, maybe not). can we say ripping whoever the hell made hexen/heretric?

there aren't that many texture artists that still actively contribute to the Doom community

IMHO there are more texture artists than there ever have been

NiGHTMARE said:

IMHO there are more texture artists than there ever have been

Well, you've been involved in the community longer than I have, so I'll take your word for it. Just doesn't seem to be that many though, even if there are more than there ever have been...

Dude, people swipe stuff from other games because they are to lazy/lack the ability to make their own stuff.

bigbadgangsta said:

Dude, people swipe stuff from other games because they are too lazy/lack the ability to make their own stuff.

Or because they don't think any other texture would be better than the hexen/heretic one.

footman said:

Frankly, I don't think anyone really gives a flying fuck, I sure don't. :/

That may well be true, but if you're going to take the time to reply to something/post something new, do it right.

they are pretty popular games tho since they use the same wad format you can easily rename the entries to what you want named its just like how some nostaligic tcs use starwars stuff cause the stuff fairly common

as for textures the only thing these texture people who steal textures from other people are stealing are lacking is a good painting program not like microsoft paint something more powerful something that does weird effects like paint shop pro

Because they can't be arsed to make any themselves.

I'm most tired of wads that steal monsters from Heretic/Hexen.

I'd imagine it'd be most useful when making a conversion of a map, like with DOOM Nukem (E1L1 of Duke3d remade for Doom2.exe)