Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Mayan Mishap (FINAL RELEASE; idgames uploaded)

MAP03 Demon Dancing: 7:26 exit time

seems like a small and open level so I took it fast and reckless. definitely made things harder; with the arachnotrons being killed more enemies came in their place. I took too much damage thanks to chaingunner bank shots and fireballs from everywhere. the archie encounters were pretty cool and the level feels like a proper modern assault Doom map.

missed two secrets, I later figured out the megaarmor one, but the other secret square doesn't seem to have anything on it and I don't see any ways of legitimately reaching it.

Getsu Fune said:

the other secret square doesn't seem to have anything on it and I don't see any ways of legitimately reaching it

It holds the optional key that gives access to a soulsphere, easy to miss since it gets covered by chaingunner corpses easily; you can reach the spot by jumping from the opening above.

Demonologist said:

It holds the optional key that gives access to a soulsphere, easy to miss since it gets covered by chaingunner corpses easily; you can reach the spot by jumping from the opening above.

jumping? as in ZDoom jumping? that seems to be the only way I can think of reaching it, but I consider it unconventional.

also on MAP03, the area where two archviles ambush you while you're on an elevator, I don't think it's possible to reach the two boxes of shells there, since when on the top floor you can't go back down. I hadn't figured out how to get the BFG, my guess is two archvile jumps since there's one nearby if you kill an arachnotron on the platform closest to the BFG. oh well, it's not a true secret anyways :).

and now MAP04: 6:03 was my time.

setpiece battles! I didn't like the first one because I hate mancubi, then there's this hub and then three separate areas I would go to. I went to the one with the spiderdemon first, and after removing the demons around me I rocketed everyone. I found a weird blind spot where I can safely shoot the spiderdemon with the single shotgun though. the next setpiece I went to had a BFG in it, plus tons of imps and resurrecting cyberbarons. Ouch. but it's my favorite though, since I can kill imps easily, plus the switch removes the archies from cyberbaron ressing to focus on me. the last one I went to, I think I'm thankful for leaving it last, as there's fucking damaging floor everywhere and it's just goddamn insane enough that I'm going to have to use the BFG a few times. overall, this was a load of fun.

MAP05 must obviously be a joke :).

Getsu Fune said:

jumping? as in ZDoom jumping? that seems to be the only way I can think of reaching it, but I consider it unconventional

Nah, it's not that complicated, really. Here's a little nomonster demo (prboom+ 2.5.1.3, complevel 11) that shows how to get there.

as always, all the feedback is really appreciated, thanks guys!

@Blackfish: I hope so! I would really like to explore that theme more, so hopefully in the future I can make some more stuff like that.

@Getsu Fune: yeah, as Demonologist said, it's got the white skull key for the soulsphere secret. really glad to hear you enjoyed everything! the feedback is really helpful. not sure how I never noticed the two shellboxes in map03 that you can't possibly get, those will get fixed haha.

@Katamori: watched the whole video, really nice to see someone play through with commentary. I'll have a look at the water flats and see if the numbers got mixed up somehow D: I watched the video earlier this afternoon so I forget if there were any other major things you mentioned...

@jmickle: likewise, getting to see someone play with commentary is immensely helpful. there are a lot of moments for you and Katamori both where shit hits you out of nowhere and you just yell FUCK and I immensely enjoyed those moments hahaha. again the commentary was all really helpful/interesting to hear, and all the positive things you said are of course very appreciated :D currently still watching (right now you're trying to rocketjump to the bfg hehehehe. actually I should probably just double check that the intended method for getting the bfg still actually works...), so I'll get through this in a bit.

I would think by now, in terms of bugs, that's just about everything. caught a few more little things based on the video playthroughs, and there are a few bits here and there like the white skull key message. once I make those fixes I'll consider it the real final release 9_9 should be up by tomorrow night!

As usual I don't actually have anything constructive to add - I just wanna show some support. Excellent use of textures, great custom enemies, beautiful new palette, and suitable music choice to top all that off. Awesome work, Tango - It's one of those few WADs where I really want to beat it in it's entirety.

many thanks, Doomkid <3

random note about the red/white skullkey messages. as RjY suggested, changing it to GOTREDSKULL makes it display the proper message in PrBoom+. the odd thing, though, is that when it's GOTREDSKUL (with just one L), in ZDoom it displays as intended, but the correction to GOTREDSKULL makes it display incorrectly in ZDoom. pretty weird. I'll see about including a DECORATE-based fix so it works in both.

Tango said:

many thanks, Doomkid <3

random note about the red/white skullkey messages. as RjY suggested, changing it to GOTREDSKULL makes it display the proper message in PrBoom+. the odd thing, though, is that when it's GOTREDSKUL (with just one L), in ZDoom it displays as intended, but the correction to GOTREDSKULL makes it display incorrectly in ZDoom. pretty weird. I'll see about including a DECORATE-based fix so it works in both.

You can always have both the GOTREDSKULL and GOTREDSKUL lines.

the music in MAP03 and the music in MAP04 is different, yet the textfile says they are the same. this should probably be fixed.

Music: "Frosty Frolics" from Donkey Kong Country 3, by Eveline Fischer and David Wise

and now for MAP31 Crystal Basin: 19:08, did it from a pistol start by warping.

the purple visuals were a cool plus, as was giving the berserk right there. I used it quite a lot. the central area with the teleporting monsters was by far the nastiest ambush, as I ended up between a lot of crossfires and other things. most everything else went smoothly for me. until that final area with tons of mancubi showing up after the plasma gun. didn't find any technical problems or anything. I liked it.

and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole mapset. thanks for brightening up my Dooming fun, Tango. a really well done set of maps, great job.

Sorry for being annoying, but do you mind if I submit a custom M_DOOM?

@Getsu Fune: thanks for the textfile catch, can't believe I didn't notice that before, fixed it though. really glad to hear you enjoyed it though, your feedback is much appreciated my friend :D

@Katamori: sweet. entertaining stuff haha. you sure do like infighting don't you :p

@IMX: hell yes. using that!

speaking of, good news! this is the final version!!! some notable changes:

- inclusion of IMX's M_DOOM; thanks again IMX!!
- some minor fixes/additions for easy/medium difficulties
- minor textfile additions and fixes
- probably some other stuff I'm forgetting

I still have not uploaded this to the archives, but consider this the final version/official release all the same.

DOWNLOAD

Tango said:

@Katamori: sweet. entertaining stuff haha. you sure do like infighting don't you :p

I have no choice... :D

here's the rest BTW

First things first, congratulations on the Cacoward!

Now, I really hope you don't get angry by this, but I must report that the Cyber Baron doesn't play DSBOSPIT before firing the rocket like he usually did in the previous versions compared to this one. I had to re-download the .wad to do a double check and verify if DSBOSPIT was still there (and it does).

By the way, this only happens in ZDoom and GZDoom for some reason. PrBoom+ still plays the audio cue before the rocket attack.

IMX said:

First things first, congratulations on the Cacoward!

Now, I really hope you don't get angry by this, but I must report that the Cyber Baron doesn't play DSBOSPIT before firing the rocket like he usually did in the previous versions compared to this one. I had to re-download the .wad to do a double check and verify if DSBOSPIT was still there (and it does).

By the way, this only happens in ZDoom and GZDoom for some reason. PrBoom+ still plays the audio cue before the rocket attack.

thanks mate! hmm. I thought I noticed the same problem in ZDoom as well, I'll have to test it again, but at least when I played through in Zandro, he still actually made the noise, albeit a bit quieter. there's also the bug Katamori pointed out in his map04 video and I also realized I forgot to credit people for the hanging lamp decorations, so there's gonna have to be a post-final release :p I'll definitely have a look at the Baron again though, thanks IMX!!

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/5696436 = my playthrough of Mayan Mishap on UV. (continuous, IDCLEV'ing to map 31 on pistol start)

3.5 out of 5 from me, this was a difficult and visually interesting experience with the main quirk being getting used to that increased monster speed.

I liked the custom enemies and the sprite edits, particularly the scary looking deformed Imp and Demon faces.
Some creativity was shown in the encounters at times.

Map 04 was one that really hexed me for a while, to the point where I had to take a small break or two to get over the frustration. And I still don't entirely approve of the opening Mancubi encounter. Was some pretty good arena fights though, and I did like how you could speedrun out of the SM one.

My favourite map was the more relaxed map 31, and yes you definitely should do more maps in that purple gothic style!

Also congrats on the Cacoward, I can see despite my personal difficulties with this mapset why this deserved some credit. Keep up the good work Tango!

awesome! always a pleasure to see people play through this, thanks for that :D I think based on your comments and the parts of the video I've watched so far though, I definitely think HMP or HNTR would have been a better fit for you (I did skip ahead in the videos and it looks like it's still UV, correct me if I'm wrong though). in any case you got through it haha

awesome, that was a really nice read, thanks for that :D glad you had fun!

edit: it seems starting a post with awesome is a requirement. also I should mention I had a good laugh at some of the review, such as the intro haha

I've taken far too long to get to try this (real life etc etc). I'm glad that I've finally had a chance to though. It is an excellent project. I don't have much to add to the many positive comments that it has already received. It is a top quality, well built, good looking, nicely complex but still approachable set of maps that are (most importantly) great fun to play. I'm enjoying everything about it. A well deserved Cacoward.

I played this a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The new monsters are really cool and the gameplay design is really well done: I always felt really pressured and had to constantly push forward aggressively just to stay alive. The visuals are top notch, too. Great stuff.

Have had really good response for Mayan Madness on stream. Universally liked basically.

many thanks for the kind words, dudes! makes me glad to hear people enjoy it :D

edit: also also, I don't think I specified the gameplay changes, but I've heard some people suspicious of changes that aren't actually there. iirc the only changes to monster/projectile speed are:

- faster demon (biting frame durations are still the same iirc; only moving speed is changed)
- imp balls are faster
- baron balls are faster

and I'm pretty sure that's it. everything else should be default, including rocket speed, revenant projectile speed, etc. also in regards to the weapons, chaingun is obviously faster, pistol is faster, shotgun had just a few frames chopped off it, and the ssg has a frame or two cut off, I believe. everything else is unaltered though.