Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

STRAIN demos [-complevel 2]

That keygrab you mentioned is so tempting... There are even tech columns nearby that probably can be used for additional boost. But I can't do it. I think I tried it before in ZDaemon, with the same results.

I did some testing on map20 and found out that you can do a true pacifist run. In Grazza's demo he presses a switch that kills the boss brain, which can be seen as against the rules by some. But it turns out that you can simply direct a cyberdemon rocket at the switch, and if you're lucky it will destroy the barrels. I got this idea from reading Heretic's comments, where he mentions that some of his UV-Max attempts ended prematurely due an explosion caused by his own rockets.

I'm attaching a prboom-plus savegame where you can experiment with it. Just wait for the cyberdemon to start shooting and then dodge his attack.

prboom-plus-savegame0.zip

I wrote a little more about this here. Probably my original method, with archie splash damage, is viable too.

Spoiler

I Played Strain for my YouTube series and fell in love with it, I decided to start maxing some maps and chose this one to start with since it has one of my favorite songs in the game, and wanted to just jam out while playing a map that didn't seem too hard to learn (it wasn't). The ending area with the teleporting goobers is annoying AF, but other than that, this was a fun run! The punching bits are a bit tough, but sometimes it goes well :D

strain16max558.zip

Current records are good so good luck! Some observations:

MAP13 was tough as hell to beat

MAP17 I managed and it is very improvable because of infighting

MAP19 is very improvable because Lost Heretic screwed up the jump at the end

MAP23 has a better route IMO (get weapon no.7 early) but this is map is insanely hard to max and even get an exit

MAP31 was the demo which I found the most impressive

22 hours ago, Hitherto said:

Features not easy (at least for me) SR50 jump. May be better players can incorporate this into their movie effort?

Actually with proper alignment this jump not that hard as it seems at first, and even with falling one or two times will significally shorter than common route.

12 hours ago, 4shockblast said:

Hmm, somehow, the nomo100 here desynced for me. Please make sure to load the Dehacked file for this wad.

Does the desync happens with the March 28th run?

(this one)

On 3/28/2022 at 10:22 AM, TheMalayDoomer said:

MAP14 No Monsters 100% Secrets in 1:58.80

str14os-158.zip - Got a solid improvement in this one! :D
YouTube video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ZPy5Ctbcg