Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

TNT: Revilution . 2 small to medium maps wanted

Considering TNT's greatest strength is its attempts at quasi-realism and sense of place, a 1024 for TNT would be a complete failure. It wouldn't be any different than the regular 1024 wads.

It's not like TNT needs to reach parity with Plutonia for sequels anyway.

I think it'd be possible to make "realistic" maps that ape smaller environments, so the idea could have merit.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but this is a vanilla-compatible project, right? I've been diligently testing my first map in Chocorenderlimits.exe as I've been developing it.

I believe I joined that right at the end too, so the parallels are there from my perspective.

Anyway, next stupid question: When I've finished my maps (the current one is looking set to be done by Sunday), do I just send it to Eris Falling by PM (I'll upload it to my site so it's a hosted link), or do I want to share it in this thread or send to a group of testers or something?

Eris is pretty much the one to go to for project stuff, as Kyka is absent and I'm inactive for a variety of reasons

Should also be PM'd to Jaws in Space, though it's no hassle if you don't as I can just forward it to him. This sort of stuff should really be in the OP, I'll probably add that when I make a new thread.

Ok - I'll add you two to a buddies list so I can simultaneously message you both.

Final stupid question: As the skies were hidden from the demo, would I be correct in assuming we don't want any screenshots in this thread? I'm only asking as most community project threads tend to have plenty of enthusiastic "this is what I'm doing" picture posts.

Well we want screenshots, but with minimal amount of sky being shown. My method when I was working on an E2 map was to use changesky aurora1 in ZDoom

ugh, is there any point in sticking with this? Seems a bit unnecessary and I think even the last shots Kyka posted had the skies in them.

When I'm done mapping tonight I'll use ZDoom, do a sky change and get a couple of shots of my first map so you can see what I'm doing. I'll do something similar with the second map I intend to make when that's coming along nicely like this one is too.

Double-posting for the bump. Here's three screenshots of my Event Horizon (the film)) and Open Season (the Evilution map... Mostly for the darkness) inspired Portal Facility:

The first and second shots show areas that have been very carefully worked to within vanilla limits from all accessible views in-game; the second (which is the gate room and exit) in particular took an unbelievable amount of tweaking, due to the windows. Not visible - the various lighting effects, starting room and the first side area I made. Just another three side areas to go and then I need to get monsters and items in. Turns out I didn't screenshot any of the windows that let some sky in, but rest assured you'd have only seen BLACKDRK if I had.

This will want some spooky, ponderous music and might make a fair MAP11 or MAP20.

Looks pretty cool Phobus! Looking forward to playing these.
As regards to music, my ambient-ish "Hell's Furnace" isn't tied to a map anymore since CorSair stopped working on his MAP21, so you could consider using that for one of them. If nothing else in the MIDI pack fits the bill, we can still write new stuff for it (I'm still looking for stuff to write music for, myself :P)

i could def. write more music for the project, but i think when your track record is eleven here there really shouldn't be any more need for me to compose more. :p

Eris Falling said:

As regards to music, my ambient-ish "Hell's Furnace" isn't tied to a map anymore since CorSair stopped working on his MAP21, so you could consider using that for one of them.

I'll try "Hell's Furnace" for Portal Facility, as it's definitely in the ballpark for the sort of music I think the map wants - thanks for the suggestion! When I start my second map I'll be sure to have a proper look through that MIDI pack link on the first page to see what we've got.

Yeah I got your e-mail, though weirdly I didn't see it until you mentioned it. I suppose I should check that address more regularly. I guess we'll get back to you when Jaws has sent me his thoughts on it.

Well I figured it's about time I post some images of my 2 maps here. The first map was accepted by Kyka as Map02, but Eris is looking to move it to Map13 or Map14 as Revilution gets restructured. The second map I just finished & will appear near the end of E2.

Map13, maybe

Map18, maybe

Looks pretty decent. Don't know if it's the maps looking a little similar or me being tired, but I thought it was one map when I first saw the screenshots, haha.

After last night's Mutiny IRC session, I'm now into mapping enough that I'm about 75% done with Portal Facility and fully intend to get both it and my second, smaller, submission done this weekend and sent to Jaws in Space and Eris Falling for testing. Enthusiasm, ho!

Those screens are very hard on inducing indeed. I can't believe that only two maps are all that is needed as it doesn't seem that long ago that this sub-project came into fruition. Nice one so far, lads and lasses.

We actually need more than 2, heh.

Ok, so course of action now:
For most of its development, this project has planned to have a side WAD called Convilution, which contains maps that weren't good enough to make it into the final WAD. We're thinking of making that openly accessible now and keep it updated thorughout development, and not only include the maps that definitely won't be in, but also maps we're not sure on, quality wise, so that we can get a wider range of opinions on them. Stuff like Military Complex, which Jaws thinks should be removed, but I think could be salvaged with relatively little hassle.

EDIT: Though now I think about it, a mix of definite rejects and possible rejects is, ironically, needlessly convoluted. Maybe we'll just include the maps we not sure on.

A new thread will be up before the end of the weekend.

Just sent a link to Eris Falling and Jaws in Space for a first draft of my map. Starting the second, smaller one either tomorrow or the day after.