Mancubus
User Control Panel | Member List | FAQ | Privacy Policy | Blogs | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > idgames Maintainer Ty Halderman Passes Away At 69
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Green Herring
Doom Custodian

Late last April, new files stopped appearing on the idgames archive, leading to mounting concern about maintainer Ty Halderman's well-being. The following month, in late May, a visit by a Doomer in Ty's native New Orleans confirmed that he was alive but hospitalized. That same month, Bill Koch (Bloodshedder) and Eric Baker (The Green Herring) were recruited as interim maintainers to keep the idgames archive running. Today on the forums, a close relative confirmed that Ty Halderman died on July 31, surrounded by his family. We have no reason to believe that this information is fabricated.

As maintainer of the most important part of the Doom community, Ty Halderman was the reason over 20 years of custom levels and mods remain available today. As part of TeamTNT, he contributed to TNT: Evilution from the Final Doom package among other WADs, and was one of the main programmers of the source port Boom, which set a new standard for custom level design that remains today. Needless to say, Ty Halderman was not called an "essential pillar of the community" for nothing. For all of this and more, he received the Espi Award for Lifetime Achievement at the Cacowards just last year. The work he did for this community is immeasurable, and his loss devastating. We at Doomworld offer our condolences to Ty Halderman's family, and would like to thank him for his efforts in keeping the central archive of the Doom community alive. He will be missed by us all.

Last edited by The Green Herring on Aug 16 2015 at 23:25

Old Post Aug 16 2015 21:06 #
The Green Herring is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Coraline

OMG...RIP Ty, you will be missed. Another legend has moved on, but never forgotten.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 21:18 #
Coraline is offline Twitter account Youtube Github || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
footman
gimme DWJ3!

R.I.P. Ty. :(

Old Post Aug 16 2015 21:32 #
footman is offline Twitter account Twitch || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Xenaero
Not DD_133

RIP Ty, you legend.

Didn't know him personally, but always appreciated the work he put into the community that laid the groundwork for what it grew into.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 21:38 #
Xenaero is offline Youtube Twitch || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
purist
Forum Staple

This is sad news. RIP Ty, and my condolences to his family. His absence has certainly been keenly felt within the Doom community and he'll be greatly missed here.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 21:41 #
purist is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Chris Hansen
(used to be c-cooper)

RIP mr. Halderman. We'll never forget you!

Old Post Aug 16 2015 21:44 #
Chris Hansen is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Registered just to make two posts

RIP Ty. Not just a pillar of the Doom community but a legend as well.

Here's Ty's Espi award dedication from last year.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 21:48 #
fraggle is online now Twitter account Youtube Twitch Github || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
msquid
Pistol Start

RIP Ty, thank you for everything.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 21:57 #
msquid is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar

No matter how prepared I figured I was to hear this, it is still deeply saddening. It is bittersweet now that we chose to honor him in the last Cacowards, since little did we know that was the last chance we had to do it. I didn't really know him that well as he kept to his own business and was always professional about it all. But I still feel a loss anyway.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 21:59 #
Quasar is offline Twitter account Youtube Github || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ledillman
out of the blue

No fucking way.
R.I.P man.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 22:16 #
Ledillman is offline Twitter account Tumblr || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Soundblock
Super-Sverre

R.I.P. Ty Halderman

Old Post Aug 16 2015 22:33 #
Soundblock is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Woolie Wool
Forum Regular

This is terrible. We lost one of the heroes of our community on the 31st. My sympathies to his family.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 22:39 #
Woolie Wool is offline Tumblr Youtube || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Springy

R.I.P my condolences to his family.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 23:09 #
Springy is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
HumanBones

RIP. An important ambassador for the doom community if I ever saw one. His presence will be sorely missed.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 23:11 #
HumanBones is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Green Herring
Doom Custodian

fraggle said:
RIP Ty. Not just a pillar of the Doom community but a legend as well.

Here's Ty's Espi award dedication from last year.

I have added a mention of the Espi Award dedication to the article. He truly was a legend, who's done more for the community than one could imagine.

Rest in peace.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 23:31 #
The Green Herring is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dg93

TY, you've done a lot for the Doom community as the /idgames archive manager. It's hard to believe that you are gone. We will miss you a lot. RIP :(

Old Post Aug 16 2015 23:34 #
dg93 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Alfonzo
Broadcaster

By all accounts a man of upstanding character and commitment, his work was integral to the functioning of this community for many years and he never asked for anything in return. Thank you, Ty. Our achievements seem today mere footnotes in the story of this community, a book that you helped to write.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 23:37 #
Alfonzo is online now Twitch || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doomkid
wadist oldschoolexual

We're all gonna miss you, good buddy :( RIP, and thanks so much for everything you've done for each of us.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 23:42 #
Doomkid is online now Twitter account Youtube Twitch || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

Thank you so much for everything you've done for the DooM community Ty, rest well.
I loved your levels for Icarus as well.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 23:43 #
DeathevokatioN is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Beed28
Mini-Member

Wow, I just heard this. I haven't felt this much shock since Satoru Iwata died earlier in the same month, also from cancer.

Rest in peace, Ty.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 23:52 #
Beed28 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

Rest in Peace, Ty. Prayers for your family.

Old Post Aug 16 2015 23:59 #
Marnetmar is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Buckshot
Forum Regular

RIP Ty

taken too soon :(

Many thanks for all the awesome years of archives!

Old Post Aug 17 2015 00:30 #
Buckshot is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Brutal Member

Thanks for all, Ty. R.I.P.

Old Post Aug 17 2015 00:35 #
Sergeant_Mark_IV is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Suitepee

Dang, that sucks. Hope he's enjoying Doom (among many other things) in the afterlife.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-m...ravaganza-2017/ = request a wad/mod for me to play!

Old Post Aug 17 2015 00:40 #
Suitepee is offline Twitter account Youtube Twitch || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tiger

My first reaction when I saw this was immediately "Oh my god, no!". This truly is saddening; I am lost of words and my eyes are a bit watery...

Old Post Aug 17 2015 00:40 #
Tiger is offline || Blog || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Imback55
Mini-Member

And my concern for the previous maintainer because of something that was inevitable anyways. Rest in piece and thanks for all of your contributions to the community especially the archives.

Old Post Aug 17 2015 00:42 #
Imback55 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dethtoll
"Probably doesn't like you" with the big watery doe eyes and the wibbling lip and the whatnot?

What a huge loss. :(

Old Post Aug 17 2015 00:43 #
dethtoll is offline Tumblr || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Pirx

that's sad. rest in peace ty, and thank you for all your work.

Old Post Aug 17 2015 02:09 #
Pirx is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
40oz
Forum Etiquette Expert

Link to his Doom Wiki Page includes his entire documented mapping background, which I will be playing this week as a tribute. Great guy and definitely one of the most important people in the origin of the Doom community.

Old Post Aug 17 2015 02:09 #
40oz is online now Twitch || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mallo
Green Marine

This is a truly sad day for the entire community. Rest in peace, Ty.

Old Post Aug 17 2015 02:14 #
mallo is offline Tumblr || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote