Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

I'm really glad this project Is still going at It! Also, why not just stick with DOOM 64 EX for some kind of continuation. :V Probably save alot of time, I guess DOOM: Absolution could count. Though I wouldn't mind If they did a DOOM 64 TC for GZDOOM and stuff.

Also, I wish I could do some mapping, but I don't have the skills. ;n; I could probably do at least a hellish and nice change for the Wolfenstein and Grosse levels, maybe some PSXDOOMish changes.

=Also, why not just stick with DOOM 64 EX for some kind of continuation

Because D64EX is total rip-off of the original Doom 64. We want to do PSX version of those maps.

Tritnew said:

Also, why not just stick with DOOM 64 EX for some kind of continuation.

To "just stick with Doom64 EX", it would have had to start with Doom64 EX. Here people are just sticking with GZDoom.

There's also the fact that Doom 64 has a completely different look and feel, what with everything getting different sprites, no revenant/arch-vile/heavy weapon dude/spider mastermind, entirely new textures, and a very different colored lighting system which entirely replaces light levels.

Gez said:

To "just stick with Doom64 EX", it would have had to start with Doom64 EX. Here people are just sticking with GZDoom.

There's also the fact that Doom 64 has a completely different look and feel, what with everything getting different sprites, no revenant/arch-vile/heavy weapon dude/spider mastermind, entirely new textures, and a very different colored lighting system which entirely replaces light levels.

Well, I did say they could do a GZDOOM version of It. :V But yea, DOOM 64 Is a completely different DOOM game, though I wouldn't call D64EX a "rip-off", just more or less a fan port. Though, If someone would work on some Revenant, Archvile, and Heavy Weapon Dude sprites based around the design of DOOM 64, then that'd be awesome.

But yea, I agree.

Yes, it would be great!

But I think all new tracks after actual music-pack release should be in next PSX projects (NRFTL, there are 9 maps, we can add more music to this; Absolution - a lot of moments).

Job said:

Once all of this is done, will there be a single PK3 that encompasses the PSX Doom TC, Master Levels, Lost Levels, etc? I'm hoping for a single file if it's available, or wondering if there'll be a some sort of new thread/announcement when it's complete.

Me too. As it stands, it feels a little all over the place. A nice clean single PK3 would be great. :)

Average said:

Me too. As it stands, it feels a little all over the place. A nice clean single PK3 would be great. :)

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's, um, lost, if you'll forgive the pun. :)

I don't see what's so hard to navigate, you literally double click a .bat file and it automatically loads up the TC, the Lost Levels, and any add-ons youve selected with the Customiser tool

Combining it all into a single PK3 would be a pretty ridiculous filesize too, due to the music (My personal pk3 for the soundtrack, replaced with Aubrey's high quality versions, is almost 600 mbs haha)

I assume we'll also get a PSXNRFTL, PSXNRFTLMUS, PSXD64 and PSXD64MUS PK3 too.

Ok, folks.
The last build at now.

https://yadi.sk/d/rgA6krBMjKdBb

NRFTL levels removed, added patch by ScottGray, added my patch for disabling "You have infested the starport" message after Final Boss Battle.

Test it, please, because THIS pk3 file is supposed to be final, v1.0 (or 1.9)

P.S.: Re-updated twice, damn it. Check the link again

Cool, I'll get around to looking through this. As a long supporter of this project, I owe it to myself to attempt it :p

EDIT: This is impossible to download it seems

EDIT2: Had to do all kinds of crap, but I managed to get it, what is it with unreliable filesharing these days?

Cant look through it right now, since im stuck doing a limited time event in Diablo 3, but I know theres some pretty bad grammar errors still in the finale text that need a tweak

Ragnor said:

Cant look through it right now, since im stuck doing a limited time event in Diablo 3, but I know theres some pretty bad grammar errors still in the finale text that need a tweak

It was fixed in ScottGray's patch, isn't it? Everything that was in this patch now in .pk3 file.

Salahmander2 said:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qdk3v1s07j2kxj5/PSXLOST.PK3

It's here, the new version is here, now it has the Lost Lost Level and the ZMAPINFO has been updated to include it. Also as a neat bonus, is No Rest For The Living. As you guys requested, it is a seperate episode from the Lost Levels. Enjoy.

Question. This is what I'm using for PSX NRFTL, but there's a number of texture misalignments. Is that from the conversion process or how they levels were originally? Not trying to be a jerk or knit pick, just wondering (and if any corrections were made).

I don't think any more bugs are going to be found in the main set, at least not while we're still using this thread. I think now would be a good time to get a new one up announcing this new final version/release candidate.

OK :)

What about ending text? I mean, I can't check it on right grammar due to my own not-good knowledge of language.

Also I remember somebody noticed strange map-name change (lost...21?). But I can't find this post...

I had a query about LOST73 being renamed to "Lost Dens" when I had named it "The Innermost Dens" for a reason. Not really a major hassle though, it's only a name.

Hm, but I think that "The Innermost Dens" sounds better than "Lost". Yes, our project is "lost"-related, but it's too many "lost" in our "lost" project...you know I'm trying to joke with "lost" word because too many "lost" we can see in this "lost" thread...lost...lost...lo *got cuffed on the nape by John Carmack*

So, I think we can fix that "back" into "Innermost" again if people agree with this idea. Possibly Salahmander2 will not xD

BTW, where is he? :0

DeXiaZ said:

Hm, but I think that "The Innermost Dens" sounds better than "Lost". Yes, our project is "lost"-related, but it's too many "lost" in our "lost" project...you know I'm trying to joke with "lost" word because too many "lost" we can see in this "lost" thread...lost...lost...lo *got cuffed on the nape by John Carmack*

So, I think we can fix that "back" into "Innermost" again if people agree with this idea. Possibly Salahmander2 will not xD

BTW, where is he? :0

Had no internet due to my shitty ISP. And what makes you think I wouldn't agree with the name? The name I used was merely until a better name came up, the name Eris used it better in my eyes. I only just saw the one actually used when looking at the MAPINFO in the map after releasing the new version. What's happening with NRFTL?

No Rest for the Living needs a lot more work still, and will delay the release considerably. We should keep to the plan that was always present: Lost Levels first, then NRFTL an Doom 64 later

Notably, NRFTL feels very incomplete right now. Its missing its intermission graphic, light levels are not done, it hardly feels like a PSX version. Im not sure of its optional soundtrack is even done yet.

Its best to focus on the main levels, get them out and released as a V1.0, then release NRFTL after the main level set gets polished and finalised via feedback.

________

Some nitpicks:

LOST15 is named Titan Trap, when it should be named Trapped on Titan. It looks awful like this

Lost 16 and 17 should be Bloodsea Keep and Mephisto's Mausoleum respectively, they are Sverre levels, not Inferno levels. Furthermore, these three are named this on the PS3 release.

TNT section has a lot of bad lighting, Dead Zone is lit up like a christmas tree despite being a level set under a night sky for example.

Habitat has some issues.

There should be waterfalls here that are translucent, that was always how PSX tended to handle walkthrough walls.

Right after that bit, there is this. This is a pretty big issue

Compare this lighting to Habitat, the map ight before it, both use the same sky. Habitat is too bright ouside, its extremely inconsistent.

Completing LOST61C brings up this, calls the credits, then makes GZDoom hang (as in, it kinda froze up my computer. This cant be allowed in release)

This needs a line break or two, preferably between "rocket launcher you asked for" and "just as well"

Overall, Plutonia largely has light levels acceptable, with TNT being largely too bright and not very PSX like. Eris Falling and BaronofStuff's levels are generally very good with PSX lighting and colour usage, so look to their levels as an example.