Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kim Kitten

WAD's and help!?

Liam the Bard said:

Heh, nice pathname there. IF you're using win98 then your Hard Drive is in FAT32 format and those spaces won't do. Try renaming 'Doom 1, 2, TNT, Final and Ultimate', to something short with no spaces, then give it another shot.

Nope, still doesn't work. What exactly should I be typing? I've been typing:- "C:\DOOM\Doom12TNTFinalUltimate\zdoom.exe -iwad Doom.wad"

Kim Kitten said:

Nope, still doesn't work. What exactly should I be typing? I've been typing:- "C:\DOOM\Doom12TNTFinalUltimate\zdoom.exe -iwad Doom.wad"

have your folder named something simple, like allgames. Your path name will then be:

C:\DooM\allgames\zdoom.exe -iwad Doom.wad

Ok, I've been experimenting with WadAuthor, and have hit a brick wall already, I can't get doors or stairs to work properly.

I can create a door, but instead of opening into the next room, there's just a wall behind it. And when I try to create stairs, there's just a wall where the stairs should be, or I get a weird graphics distortion.

This is the wad I'm playing around with, if you run it on Doom 2, you'll see what I mean. http://uk.geocities.com/kim_kitten14/file.htm

Kim Kitten said:

Ok, I've been experimenting with WadAuthor, and have hit a brick wall already, I can't get doors or stairs to work properly.

I can create a door, but instead of opening into the next room, there's just a wall behind it. And when I try to create stairs, there's just a wall where the stairs should be, or I get a weird graphics distortion.[/url]

I'll look at your file when I get a chance, but the brick wall sounds like your doorway (not the door itself) may not be connecting to the other room. The simplest way to make a door in WadAuthor is:

1. Create one room
2. Create another room nearby
3. Create a doorway that will connect these two rooms. Join one end of the doorway to the corresponding portion of the nearest room, and join the other end of the doorway to the other room. You now have a passageway between your two rooms.
4. Insert a sector in the doorway, and join the ends to the walls.
5. Select this sector and right click, select "Convert Sector to Door", and you should should be good to go.

BTW, you guys would rip off your left arm to answer kim kitten's questions, wouldn't you?

Hooray for the A/S/L brigade!

0026 <@schepe> if anyone else had ask what she did they would have got... "rofl" "strage graphic bug" and maybe "use the damn rockets loser"

Consider yourself flattered.

Also, I'd answer the questions, but that's already done.

The way that I create a door is as follows:

Create 3 sectors, all joined up to one another. (all same height)

Change the ceiling height of the middle sector so it matches the floor.

Give the 2-sided linedefs the 'Local door: nSRe: open/close' property and choose a suitable door texture. (eg. bigdoor2). You now have a standard door.

(Once you've created one, it's a good idea to create a copy of it somewhere on your map, so you can create more doors simply by copying and pasting)

Hellbent said:

Or you can get DeepSea and use the "make door from sector" command. :P

Or WadAuthor, and use the "Convert Sector to Door" command. Isn't that what I said in my post?

Kim Kitten said:

You guys are gonna be getting pissed off with me soon, lol.

Ok, I just tried to join an online game, but my game screen ended up looking like this - http://uk.geocities.com/kim_kitten14/error2.htm - any ideas?

As Liam said, ZDaemon is not the most reliable piece of code in the world. On my machine it goes down more often than a two dollar hooker and it's got latency which brings back memories of the days when you loaded games off cassettes. Last I heard someone was working on a new version, possibly with PRBoom as a base so you might be better off waiting for that than trying to solve the problems this one has.

I have a complaint about your site :-(

It's obviously done for people with a screen resolution greater than 800x600, although lots of people still use that resolution.

Anyway, the point is that people who use less than this can't see the text because the menu is covering it!! Just thought you should know.

Lobo said:

I have a complaint about your site :-(

It's obviously done for people with a screen resolution greater than 800x600, although lots of people still use that resolution.

Everybody who still uses 800x600 at his free will (i.e. not forced by crappy hardware) should be lapidated.

Lobo said:

I have a complaint about your site :-( It's obviously done for people with a screen resolution greater than 800x600, although lots of people still use that resolution.

Yeah, it's made for a screen size of 1024x768, there's not really too much I can do about it I'm afraid - I honestly prefer it the way it is, setting my monitor to 800x600 kills me eyes.

Liam the Bard said:

::cries::

I'm Liam.

::laughs::

And I'm Andy. Anyway, Crusade is ok for a first try :)

bigbadgangsta said:

Anyway, Crusade is ok for a first try :)

As a learning level in which to sharpen your skills it's ..... adequate. So far you've gotten the hang of basic room-type sectors, doors, lighting, and columns. Now on to windows, stairs, outdoor areas, lifts, sectors at different heights, etc. Also, unless it's a deathmatch map, remember to include an exit.

The texturing looks like .... how do I put this delicately? ..... lizard guano that's been baking in the hot sun before being trampled by a herd of frenzied elephants. I'm sure you were just experimenting, but one early lesson is to define a theme (e.g., tech-base, hellish, medieval, etc.) and stick with it when texturing and using flats.

Keep at it, and in 3 days you should be able to map as good as, well ... me!

Kim Kitten said:

setting my monitor to 800x600 kills me eyes.

ROFLMAO

Hellbent said:

Or you can get DeepSea and use the "make door from sector" command. :P

Yeah, but I prefer to do it the manual way, as you don't have to deal with door motifs. (stair ones are fine though, as you need those)

Liam the Bard said:
::cries::
I'm Liam.

BBG then said,
::laughs::
And I'm Andy. Anyway, Crusade is ok for a first try :)

im Max. im working on my tc too. im also working on map08 of the dw forum's project called freedoom. once you think your level skills are good, make a post on the freedoom forum in dw forums and say witch level you want to do.

Lol, 'Crusade' was going well, emphasis on WAS, for some strange reason the thing has stoped working, I keep on getting told I've got 'sector errors', and something about them not having a face, or whatever it was. Grrr, computers make me so mad! lol

The exact error messages are:-

Sidedef 155 has a bad sector
Sidedef 161 has a bad sector
Sidedef 171 has a bad sector
Sidedef 174 has a bad sector
Line 9 has 0 length
Line 137 has no front sector
Line 143 has no front sector
Line 153 has no front sector
Line 156 has no front sector
The following lines have no front sector:
137, 143, 153, 156
-------

Anyone even got a clue how I fix this?

What makes me laugh is that if I posted this I would be insulted and flamed to hell, but because this is a female, you guys are all tripping over yourselves to answer.

Pathetic!

(BTW what makes you think that I'm not a girl?)

Lobo said:

I never said I didn't think you were a girl ;)

Ok, fixed the problem all on my own. Then I ran into a problem of a door that wouldn't open, so I got around that by closing off the corridor, deleting and re-creating the section the door led to, and created a teleporter to the area instead. lol.

Oh, btw, anyone played Driver 2 on PS? Is there a knack to getting to the 'Airport' in Las Vegas? Blinkin' cops keep on smashing the crap out of the car. >-(

Kim Kitten said:

Oh, btw, anyone played Driver 2 on PS? Is there a knack to getting to the 'Airport' in Las Vegas? Blinkin' cops keep on smashing the crap out of the car. >-(

GameFaqs or Gamewinners might be able to help.

Lobo said:

What makes me laugh is that if I posted this I would be insulted and flamed to hell, but because this is a female, you guys are all tripping over yourselves to answer.

Pathetic!

You're right of course, but at least she gets the help.

Oh yeah and people keep this thread on topic about Doom wads and mods only please. Or go to EE and start a new thread.

No chatting up Brummie lasses in this forum. Heh, but I'm serious.

Lobo said:

What makes me laugh is that if I posted this I would be insulted and flamed to hell

well why don't you try it and see?