Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scet

Get ready for some Ultra Cyber Violence!

No this is not another video game thread. Instead I present the next issue from Ultra Progressive World, brought to us by the UN and various womens groups: cyber violence.

http://time.com/4049106/un-cyber-violence-physical-violence/
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/30781/article/

So what is cyber violence? At first I was hoping someone had come up with a way to punch people through their monitors, but no get this:

The report notes that cyber violence is an extension of that definition, that includes acts like trolling, hacking, spamming, and harassment.

Yeah dumb facebook shit and spam e-mails are now violence. I know some places have anti-harassment laws, but here's where it goes next level:

The report also argues that “cyber touch is recognized as equally as harmful as physical touch,” suggesting that online harassment might be just as lethal as domestic violence or sexual abuse.

I don't even know what to say to that. These super politically correct people have reached a level of absolute absurdity.

Ok that's the final straw. I want the UN to disappear. Useless organization.

They have the equivalent amount of wisdom and authority of a family first Christian extremest house wife who does substitute teaching.

That's probably taking things too far. But I think these things should definitely be taken a lot more seriously. The internet is rapidly becoming more deeply integrated with society. That boundary between your online activities and "the real world" are blurring together, and you can't really have the same mindset about this stuff as you did 20 or even 10 years ago. "Grow a thicker skin" doesn't really cut it any longer. Especially with the way cyber mobs have proliferated lately that can really ruin people's lives.

What a goddamn joke some of humanity is now.

AlphaOmegaSin made a video on this very topic not long ago.

If spamming is violence, then will the UN actually do something to stop spammers wasting bandwidth, CPU power, memory, and time?

So this would officially make darknation a criminal mastermind? Ha!

Oh and these bullshit laws just keep getting better. Soon it will be illegal to let your kid outside. I think they already have a name for that now. "Free Range Parenting" they call it. I'm not even joking, look it up. I love how politicians feel the need to label completely normal human behavior as if it was something strange.

J.B.R said:

That's stupid, really.
That's basicly restricting you even more, seriously?
What are trying to do?

Reduce suicides, self-harm, alienation, social death, crippling self-doubt, and career loss?

You guys do realize everyone uses the internet nowadays, right? The entire purpose of this is to allow people who commit crimes to be punished for it, regardless of if they do it in real life or over the internet.

Whilst I have been a bit worried about something like this becoming large scale I essentially agree with GeckoYamori and Arctangent. I imagine it would be less to stop people who spam and troll to no harmful effect and used more to curb online bullying that causes suicides, uploads of photos that compromise individuals, etc. The truth is that the internet has very much become a part of society and is quite integrated to the point you can truly cause another harm.

I am still on the fence about this, but if the laws are specified to work out how to seperate the harmful cases (i.e. bullying an individual to suicide) from the harmless cases(i.e. a random user spamming Doomworld or Reddit to no real ill-effect) that would put me more at ease.

It's the only way besides gun control that they will be able to quell the pending beta male uprising once all their internet hugboxes are shutdown.

Kirby said:

I essentially agree with GeckoYamori and Arctangent. I imagine it would be used more to curb online bullying that causes suicides, uploads of photos that compromise individuals, etc.

Obviously those sort of things need to stop. I'm just of the opinion that the term "cyber bullying" was enough, often even that term is excessive. Calling it violence detracts from actual violence. These women need to go visit an abused womens shelter before referring to name calling on Call Of Duty as violence.

Well fuck me, according to this I am basically Satan!

I actually thought Cyber-Violence was a shitty arcade sci-fi shooter when I saw it, turns out it is much worse than that. Cyber violence (from what I was easily able to dig up) is everyone's favorite delicate snowlfake's way of saying "you hurt my feelings", with "you suck" and "you're lying" being examples of cyber violence that were actually given to the UN.

I can understand wanting to deal with the real hardcore doc dropping, raiding, humiliating, pizza ordering full fledged destruction that one can receive if they piss off the wrong people (seriously, that shit is scary as fuck) but from what I gather this is nothing more than a good old hugbox idea where all your shit has to be puppies and rainbows or you will be forcefully removed because somebody got triggered by your text.

So, fuck it I guess, send more than half of the internet crawling into the deep web where it belongs for being so felonious by saying very mean things that hurt my feelings and not giving me daisy chains whenever I say something stupid, that will go down well.

Oh, and the current abuse reporting system can be abused enough, many people are gonna get fucked if this system is implemented and I imagine (by the amazing spectrum of examples given) it would be very easy to shaft someone using this system.

Implying this will ever actually happen, which it will not BTW.

GhostlyDeath said:

If spamming is violence, then will the UN actually do something to stop spammers wasting bandwidth, CPU power, memory, and time?

Um, never actually. It's quite pointless to get upset or angry about this as well as the UN cannot do anything or change anything let alone enforce anything. The UN can't stop nuclear proliferation, no one needs to get bent out of shape thinking the UN will be cyber policing their lulz.

Arctangent said:

The entire purpose of this is to allow people who commit thought crimes to be punished for it

Fixed.

People are confused about the definition of trolling. Tweeting "I AM GOING TO YOUR HOUSE AT (actual address) TO RAPE YOU TO DEATH" is not trolling. It doesn't magically become trolling because you didn't mean it, or because you sent it from an account that can't be traced back to you.

I was genuinely hoping that "Cyber Violence" was a new crowdfunded faux-retro FPS in the mould of STRAFE.

I am disappoint.

Only people who are part of the problem would insist that there is no problem at such high volume.

Jaxxoon R said:

If I scream about how witch robots are stealing all of our jobs, that doesn't make me a witch robot.

Only a witch robot would make that claim!

Inkie said:

The internet was the last bastion of free speech

was

Actually, still seems pretty free in real life too.

Thing is, free speech has never protected you from the consequences of being twat. It lets you be a twat in the first place, but you have to clean up your own mess.

Especially when the twatness ended up dealing real damage to someone's life.

Inkie said:

The internet was the last bastion of free speech

was

Oh no! Did they finally kill Net Neutrality?

You can't even destroy anyone's self-confidence through constant threats and online stalking anymore, Stew! It's political correctness gone mad

I personally don't see what's wrong with the part about spamming, trolling, harassment and hacking.

But the thing about "cyber touch" is just stupid.

Zulk-RS said:

But the thing about "cyber touch" is just stupid.

Seeing as the SJW definition of "rape" has been broadened to basically mean any slightly unwanted interaction with a girl, even simple eye contact, I'm not surprised.

What level of trolling are we talking about, anyways? Like baiting someone for laughs that's not really harmful (Saying it's Red not Blue and just letting the other person get frustrated until they leave the chatroom or finally brush you off), CoD Chat ("YOURACUNTASSNIGGERJEWANDIFUCKEDOURMOMLOLDOYOUEVENCOD"), or the more harmful types that gets someone to commit suicide (Though anyone who lets the Internet get to them in that way may deserve it. *cough* But with that said, the more damaging type may not so much be trolling as it is harassment and endangerment, if its stuff like blackmail and picture sharing, and all of those not very fun things that may also be defined as trolling)?