Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Pcorf Community Project 2 (Finished)

Thanks Walter!

@Pcorf, do I need to include multiplayer starts, and should I be setting the flags on monsters and ammo based on difficulty? Thanks.

Dragonfly said:

Thanks Walter!

@Pcorf, do I need to include multiplayer starts, and should I be setting the flags on monsters and ammo based on difficulty? Thanks.

It is up to you, your choice. PCCP 2048 will be designed for single player. Interesting looking map there, maybe it could be MAP31 and have a secret exit to MAP32 who knows?

If you want this to be map31, I am okay with that. Normally I am reluctant to leave my map(s) with less exposure but considering it's appearance, it makes sense to be a secret!

I will try to include a secret exit. I think I have something in mind but I'm not sure how plausible it is until I try to map it out. Do we have a map32 already? If so may I see it so I can reference it for the exit?

I will be posting a couple of progress screenshots in the next day or two. If anyone wants to test it before I submit, let me know! :)

Oh, one last thing - would it be too rulebreakinlg for me to add ONE texture to my wad? It would be a plain black 64x64 square texture, currently there is some slightly noticable dots in some of the black parts of the map. If you'd rather I didnt add a texture that's okay.

Can I contribute a map for this project? I really want to be a part of something, and this looks like a good way to start.

Dragonfly said:

If you want this to be map31, I am okay with that. Normally I am reluctant to leave my map(s) with less exposure but considering it's appearance, it makes sense to be a secret!

I will try to include a secret exit. I think I have something in mind but I'm not sure how plausible it is until I try to map it out. Do we have a map32 already? If so may I see it so I can reference it for the exit?

I will be posting a couple of progress screenshots in the next day or two. If anyone wants to test it before I submit, let me know! :)

Oh, one last thing - would it be too rulebreakinlg for me to add ONE texture to my wad? It would be a plain black 64x64 square texture, currently there is some slightly noticable dots in some of the black parts of the map. If you'd rather I didnt add a texture that's okay.

Feel free to add the texture to your wad and then I'll add it into the resource wad. I think it will be unique for a MAP31 so yeah, go ahead and add a secret exit all you want to.

AnonimVio said:

Can I contribute a map for this project? I really want to be a part of something, and this looks like a good way to start.

Go ahead. Just over 3 more weeks to go.

pcorf said:

Feel free to add the texture to your wad [etc]

Thanks! As promised, here's a screenshot showing progress:-

EDIT: Can I draw a monochromatic switch & Door, too? Or would that be too much? See screenshots below and decide for yourself.

I actually think the Door and Switch being full color adds a cool contrast in that Mono map :)

Everything's looking great so far, project is gonna turn out swell indeed!

Dragonfly said:

Thanks! As promised, here's a screenshot showing progress:-

EDIT: Can I draw a monochromatic switch & Door, too? Or would that be too much? See screenshots below and decide for yourself.

In the second screenshot with the switch, it seems very busy. Maybe have the trim be black instead of white?

I think the doors look really cool and provide a nice contrast.

7hm said:

In the second screenshot with the switch, it seems very busy

It does seem a bit messy in that screenshot. I don't think it seems so bad when you're actually in game however. I could remove the trims either side completely, it may reduce the noisiness of it all.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

So there was a monochrome mapping project before? Interesting. Was it ever released? :)

I'm finding the 'outdoors' area tough to map, but fun nonetheless. I've also managed to implement the super secret exit, so I'll confirm my position as map 31.

Dragonfly said:

So there was a monochrome mapping project before? Interesting. Was it ever released? :)

This question could have been soooo easily avoided by using Google. Searching just the words "monochrome mapping project" will immediately lead you to the project page, /idgames page, moddb page, wad archive page and a couple Youtube walkthroughs.

While that is true, I enjoy 'human conversation'. I was also travelling to work, browsing the web on my phone at the time - that's not exactly an excuse but the desire to open a new tab just isn't there. (Also, has anyone considered upgrading this site to be responsive? I'd be happy to help out if anyone was interested, although that's a topic for a completely new thread I suppose.)

I appreciate you posting the links, I may take the time tonight to see what other people have produced, see if I find any inspiration!

My map is now complete! The map is called Vibetech.

I have implemented support for difficulty settings, UV is notably harder than the other difficulties.

Download ZIP:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ea4uvpb3zeed37z/VIBETECH.zip?dl=1

Thank you in advance to everyone who plays the map. If you've any comments regarding visuals, balance or anything else, let me know!

Here's a shot of the Editor View - to confirm my compliance with the rules, the orange line is 2048² boundary:

Make sure to send an email of the wad to Paul as well, for some reason he has trouble accessing Dropbox files.

When you try to download from dropbox, a message asking to register appears, Paul probably didn't figure it out yet, but closing the message window will download the file anyways.

joe-ilya said:

When you try to download from dropbox, a message asking to register appears, Paul probably didn't figure it out yet, but closing the message window will download the file anyways.

You have a rather low opinion of Paul's intelligence, don't you?

It's not about the intelligence, it's just dropbox being cryptic, I was having problems with that too, you know.

joe-ilya said:

But closing the message window will download the file anyways.

It's not about the intelligence, it's just Dropbox being cryptic.

I implore you to actually click the link. I ensured the end of the link has ?dl=1, which on Dropbox makes the visitor simply download the file, no bullshit in-between.

Thank you for letting me know Pcorf prefers emailed wads, I missed that detail from the first post. :) I have no sent the email.

--------

However, as a web designer I guess I'll take note that not everyone understands the now-standard lightbox.

It's pretty common knowledge that a lightbox (the popup with faded backgrounds) typically can be closed by hitting an X button, clicking on the darkened background or pressing ESC on any keyboard.

It's hardly cryptic, but I would say fair enough on Dropbox's behalf as it's likely increased the quantity of sign-ups.

Great map Dragonfly!

Not too hard on UV, I've beaten it without dying. Constant light changes on the floor makes killing monsters a bit harder, because they are often pitch-black. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, it makes the map harder. I haven't found the secret exit, but I think I've activated one part of it in the secret with white walls and demons. I haven't noticed any bugs. I think it's a great use of MAP31 slot.

My map should be out either today or tomorrow.

Obsidian said:

You have a rather low opinion of Paul's intelligence, don't you?

Perhaps I am a bit too old fashioned. I am a very 1990's person.

I have been out all day but anyway I am back and I was able to download the map first go. Wow, very impressive. Great work. Most certainly this will be MAP31. And also thanks for the updated texture wad for including the additional textures for the map.

Added to the list.

Looking forward to AnonimVio's map.

Thank you very much for playing it AnonimVio. You indeed did do half of the secret exit. A teleporter would have become available later on in the map. :)

As for the light variation - To work with this I tried to ensure there was some white in most, if not all locations so that you have something to identify if there's a monster there.

I noticed that running a GL-based port with Dynamic Lighting can kill the 'blindness' of the map to some extent (when enemies fire they light up the surrounding area briefly. It's not major at all.)

pcorf said:

Perhaps I am a bit too old fashioned. I am a very 1990's person.

I have been out all day but anyway I am back and I was able to download the map first go. Wow, very impressive. Great work. Most certainly this will be MAP31. And also thanks for the updated texture wad for including the additional textures for the map.

Added to the list.

Looking forward to AnonimVio's map.

Can't blame you, the 90's was a fun era. Thanks for playing my map!

Were you able to find the secret exit? :)

Dragonfly said:

Thank you for letting me know Pcorf prefers emailed wads

Or using mediafire, that's one of the rules too.

Uhm, i've sended my map(s) to Paul via e-mail too, but the last one i send to him gave me some errors on sending mail to the final recipe, i also knew that from some months he had some problems with his mail, but maybe i've did something wrong...

Also, with the recent knownledge that we can put our textures to our maps, i was thinking to put a new metal-like texture for my last map send here instead of that STEPTOP thing...

walter confalonieri said:

Also, with the recent knownledge that we can put our textures to our maps (etc)

I would hold fire on that and check with Pcorf first. I think he let me because it's both a very different map, and it's the secret map. But it's not my place to say, so yeah, check with Paul. :)

This is a very cool map Dragonfly.
I especially like the dynamic arena when a certain tough monster teleports in.
I still don't know how to get to the secret exit, but this is very awesome for a monochromatic map!

Do you mind checking out my contribution?
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1423548