Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
esayeek

demo format

i've been reading through some of the eternity programmer's logs and i guess its obvious that there's a need for a new demo format in eternity with suport for mlook, jumping etc whatever. if one is made, i think it would be a good idea to make it use gzip, considering that demos are generally quite large files that are also easily compressable.

Demos just plays back player movements, so if a player looks up then it saves that they mouselooked, it doesn't actually capture you playing.

bigbadgangsta said:

Demos just plays back player movements, so if a player looks up then it saves that they mouselooked, it doesn't actually capture you playing.

if you include mouselook, you need to record it in demos because of the corresponding mouseaim, otherwise your shots will go somewhere else other than where you fired them with mlook when you play the demo back.

The "new" demo format has been in Eternity since v3.29 beta 4 I believe, and it does record mlook/keylook. It was also necessary to fix the way that the game engine version is recorded in demos. Lee Killough seemed to have assumed we'd stop at v2.55 ....

Also remember, Eternity'll play DOOM, BOOM, and MBF demos, but it won't play demos from any of its contemporaries, nor can its demos be played by other ports.

Quasar said:

The "new" demo format has been in Eternity since v3.29 beta 4 I believe, and it does record mlook/keylook. It was also necessary to fix the way that the game engine version is recorded in demos. Lee Killough seemed to have assumed we'd stop at v2.55 ....

Also remember, Eternity'll play DOOM, BOOM, and MBF demos, but it won't play demos from any of its contemporaries, nor can its demos be played by other ports.

has there been any consideration of possibly using gzipped demos, like i asked?