Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Psyonisis

License to hack

If they had any chance of suceeding in shutting down piracy, the article would be scary. But they don't, so i don't care.

In any case, they are very welcome to hack my computer.

That's extremely fucked up. No...just...no.

Is the entertainment industry actualy losing any money? I haven't seen or heard of any data that says they are.

that would never fly. if it did we'd be one step closer to fascism. I don't think the rest of america would stand for that.

well, here's ]Lazlow's take on it: http://lazlow.com/refdocs/tfref071602.ram

i don't think they will pass that bill, it's backed by like one senator at current, and it is an invasion of privacy. if some private hacker broke into your computer and deleted files, you would probaly be able to claim illegal search and seizure. that's if you grab his IP and prove it's record companies etc.

the_Danarchist said:

And how?

dont buy anything from the labels owned (well, more like CONTROLLED)by the RIAA.

youve been doing it for years already probably

and about the fascist takeover, its already begun with the "patriot act", which legalizes police searches without warning or warrant, and the ability for cops to break into your home and put spyware on your computer

this is not a joke or exaggeration at all. Americans are NOT protecting their freedoms at all

Okay, so the gummint got talked into letting the RIAA send vigilantes into the Web to stop music pirates. Aheh. Cute, really.

First, what they want to do would require hackers and tech above and beyond what we have now. It would require something out of Shadowrun. I mean, get real.

The combo of high speed connections and the sheer mass of music trading going on at any given time makes it, if not impossible, then certainly impractical to kil transfers as they happen.

As for hacking into people's computers, just invest in a decent firewall. Or turn of your computer every now and again. Or write some drek-hot new ICE and let those decker frags have it when they drop in to say 'hi.'

That they managed to talk legislators into this just goes to prove what I've known for some time: Our government leaders don't know jack shit about technology.

Xian: Fascist takeover? Try corporate takeover. The Corporate War is coming. Which side are you on?

Corporate takeover IS FASCIST TAKEOVER. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CEO AND A GOVERMENT DICTATOR IS A MONOPOLY ON VIOLENCE

Im on the side of liberty, freedom, and survival - Libertarian communism (which is the nice way of saying Anarchy)

meh, this will eventualy all blow over. record companies won't die, they'll just be smaller. no matter how much music you download, they should be ok. people will still buy cd's of bands which they really like. people will still go to concerts. people will still buy clothes with their fav bands name on it. and people will still buy posters, bumper stickers, key chains, and other random crap that can't be made through your PC.

EDIT: yeah the patriot act is gay. but, delete your cookies, run anti spyware/adware scans, most importantly use an up to date firewall like norton and back that up with one made by a hacker so your pretty safe online.

use google and search patriot act, its already started in all states

'Is funny... most Americans are fond thinking their union is a prime example of democracy at work, while in reality they are just 1 party and a looney away from a dictatorial state. Especially in these times, when some legislators seem to think they have a right to infringe upon other people's legal rights in order to "protect" their society... while in reality those legal rights were meant to protect the people from those same "patriottic" legislators. And I'm not even talking about America's foreign policies... passing a bill that would "allow" an invasion in my country to extract suspected american war criminals from international justice? Fuck you. What America REALLY needs is a re-kindled interest in politics instead of the "you can't beat the system" laissez-faire attitude that seems to be prevailing, starting with a vote on somebody you agree with. Only that way you can hope to change "the system".

No, thank god I live in a parlementary democracy.

I don't think I could ever stop buying CDs and DVDs. MP3s do not come close to the enjoyment or quality of the real deal.

the_Danarchist said:

I don't think I could ever stop buying CDs and DVDs. MP3s do not come close to the enjoyment or quality of the real deal.

Damm well right.

Shit I wouldn't have bought half the cd's I own if I hadn't downloaded a song or two of it.

Heh, it's funny how you're all complaining about how things like this would take away your freedom. The thing is, downloading copyrighted material IS illegal. You just don't want the chance of getting caught.

Hell, I'm against it, but not because it's one step closer to facism. It's because I like my free music :)

Yeah, but the RIAA also wants to inhibit copying as well. This has been going on forever, and I rarely keep an ear to teh ground about it, but I do know the basics. First off, if you record MP3's off ofyour own cd's and they go in and remove them, that's not search and seizure, that's vandalism. If it were "in the real world". It's also a violation of consumer rights, and with one count alone could cause a class-action lawsuit. That's if you own them, of course. If not, it's actually still illegal. But, they have to issue a complaint to you as in individual first. There's a lot of legal shit that they CANNOT circumvent if they want to do this, meaning they'd first have to get warrants ANYWAY. Computer law may be gray area because the corporations like to get away with shit, but real-world law can still be applied. So one could worry, but why? The conglomerates would just be setting themselves up for massive lawsuits.

Little Faith said:

What exactly are the motives of the RIAA?

The RIAA is the Record Industry Association of America. It is an association of all the largest record labels. So the answer to your question is: money.

I recently signed a petition trying to stop governments from legalizing spyware in computers monitoring everything you do, the rule is only in the interest of the USA but still, that is pretty harsh.

Davidoom said:

I recently signed a petition trying to stop governments from legalizing spyware in computers monitoring everything you do, the rule is only in the interest of the USA but still, that is pretty harsh.

I signed that same petition. All i got out of it was a form letter from my legislators proving that they'rea bunch of idiots when it comes to infotech.